VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have just spent hours converting some of my old VHS-C tapes to DVD and thought everything was going smoothly! When I went to finalize the DVD +R disc, it appeared to be successful and even displayed the scene titles list. First one screen full of chapters, then another, then it stopped. I waited for about 20 minutes thinking it was still finalizing. Nothing. I couldn't push any buttons, go to menu, not even power off. I finally unplugged device and then it wouldn't even recognize my DVD. Help! I don't want all my hours to go to waste. Did I use the wrong DVD? The manual said I could use DVD +R.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is your brand/model of your device?...I presume a DVD recorder of sorts?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not in front of it right nw but its a Sony DVD/VHS recorder. approx 5-6 yrs old. I've since put the the DVD in my Mac and it said i inserted a blank disc. aargg!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is likely that disc you used was defective or poor quality and that is the reason it failed. You might be able to recover something, but not using the DVD recorder. You need to use a Windows PC and data recovery software, such as ISOBuster.

Download and install the free version of ISOBuster, and insert the DVD in your computer's DVD drive. Open the DVD in ISOBuster. If "Track1" appears in the left hand pane, there may be something on the disk to recover. Right click on "Track1", then click on "Find Missing Files and Folders" and follow the instructions. The free software will then show you what the paid version of ISOBuster will be able to recover.

Recovery using only ISOBuster's free software is possible, but requires more work on your part, and it requires installing and using a few additional free programs. You might prefer to use the paid version of ISO Buster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry: But another reason that I switched to capture cards - the firmware of DVD recorders act too flakey for reliable work flow.

If you saved the original videos on the machine - i.e. hard drive based - there is some hope. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of isobuster.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you so much. I will definitely try The software
    Quote Quote