VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

Greetings from West-Africa ...

Last October 2012, I read they were working on a Linux version of Lightworks, but a limited amount of people could test it.
    Anybody up to date on how far this testing process is now? And when it is expected that other Linux / Ubuntu users can use the program?

Thanks for any input on this, appreciated!
    Ewien
    Quote Quote  
  2. The first public beta version will be released this month.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Very cool, thanks for letting me/us know Brian ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Brian, did things work out and the beta Ubuntu/Lightworks public version is released?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How would a person go about asking for a OSX version? I'll be happy to finally see a pro grade NLE for Linux. All the current NLEs for Linux are garbage, but I refuse to work in Windows any more.

Sent from my  iPad 3
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am nothing to do with the production of Lightworks. The place to ask is thir web site: www.lwks.com

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  7. There is now a Lightworks release for Linux (deb and rpm) and a public Beta for OSX. See here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I played around with LightWorks in Linux Mint a while back. It works well and has many advanced features, unfortunately the free version limits export to 720p mp4. Too bad it won't let you export to lossless avi or at least Prores mov.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. True but not the whole story.

With v11.5, a number of changes were made to the free version of Lightworks. Earlier releases of the free version had many more export options but very few import options. There was a limit to the number of codecs that EditShare were able to pay to license in a free application. EditShare's research among new users of Lightworks revealed that too many were failing at the first hurdle and abandoning it because they had problems getting their footage into the application as a result of the limited number of import options. And many of these new users were not familiar with transcoding or not happy with the time it takes to transcode to a supported codec.

So, a decision was taken to vastly expand the supported import codecs to make it easer to get footage into the programme and to limit the export options to AVC/MP4 at 720p--a format suitable for the Web. It was felt that this would be sufficient for hobbyists.

Professional users of Lightworks who use it for paid work could upgrade to the Pro version which is not limited to 720p and has a fully licensed range of industry-standard codecs. EditShare can't just give these away free of charge. They have to cover their licensing costs and maintain the full time development team. Payment options are here.

Note also this FAQ on the Lightworks site.

Disclaimer: I do not work for EditShare and this is not an official response.
    I am a software developer, can you give me access to the source code like you said you would in earlier statements please?

Once the Linux and Mac versions are released the source code of Lightworks will become available. We cannot give a date when this will happen, but announcements and updates will be regularly posted on the Lightworks Forum.
    The Linux version is already released and the OSX version is now in public Beta and should be released in the next months.

Disclaimer: I do not work for EditShare and this is not an official response.
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 9th Jul 2014 at 06:59.
    Quote Quote