VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can some please post or direct me to where I can find "Download" the last latest Firmware Canopus released for the ADVC-300 unit... I've already tried GV "Grass Valley" and don't seem to have it posted...

Thanks In Advance

Jrivera
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK Canopus have never released any firmware updates for this unit.

Do you really mean 'firmware' or something else ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the quick reply DB83:

Back in 2004/2005 I had read a released Firmware was posted in order to added features such as disabling Macro Vision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite the reverse methinks. The 100/110 used to be able to remove macrovision but they changed the spec since that was kinda 'illegal'

Do not think the 300 ever had such a feature but I may be wrong. I obtained my 300 in 2006.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I understand, I'm just trying to transfer my old VHS instructional videos ported over to DVD... Well if you come across any information let me know...

Thanks Again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This device isn't very good.
    The unit is too aggressive on NR, and it's just DV.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This device isn't very good.
    The unit is too aggressive on NR, and it's just DV.
    Are you saying that if the noise reduction isn't used, or isn't turned on, it's still 'too aggressive on NR'? If so, I can't say I've ever seen any evidence of that. Since it can be controlled either in software or with the little switches on the box, I don't really see the point of that comment. It's not like you're stuck with it whether you like it or not, as you are with your beloved JVC S-VHS units with the TBC and DNR tied in together. I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, just trying to learn. I do all my noise reduction in AviSynth.

As for it being 'just DV', as far as I know the only thing better is lossless. Mine are PAL tapes and most are black and white anyway. Me, I've been perfectly happy with it in the 8-10 months or so I've been using it, and the 25-30 tapes I've run through it. Would I be even happier with a capture card capping lossless? Probably, but the ADVC-300 is easy to use and the proc-amp controls are very useful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Turned off is fine. The ADVC-300 is now a ADVC-100/110.
    JVC DNR/TNC is good at what it does.
    DV is not much different than MPEG-2. Yes, lossless is better.

Wise-ass.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for responding and for the information. Yes, it's expensive, but I still find the brightness, saturation, contrast, and a few other controls useful. It was information supplied by you during my researches that steered me away from ever using the noise reduction, although I'd have found out with my own testing. Just as I discovered the 3D DNR on my Panasonic VCR shouldn't be used. And it can be turned off easily.

If you knew the time, effort, and expense it took for this then-newbie to get going capping PAL tapes in an NTSC land, you might forgive me for not winding up with the optimal set-up. But I'm very pleased with how everything is working now. And some of what I have is due to what you've said and recommended and warned against here and over at Digital FAQ. And some of what I have I got in spite of your warnings. Like the ADVC-300.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Last edited by digicube; 15th Nov 2017 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My ADVC300 works.

I am not about to risk trashing it by downloading an 'update' which a) appears to be for an old OS and b) is some 8 years after this 'magical' claim.

If it works then you can serve the community by stating the fact. I have other ways to remove mv should I ever need to.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It works on my Windows 7.
    Quote Quote