VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello Everyone!
    As the title suggests, I do not want to install softwares or codec packs just to play flv files, because I've heard they might slow down windows a little!

So is there any way to manually insert the single codec into registry or sth?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Plugins exist but I wouldn't risk it. Try the VLC portable version(s). The codecs are self contained.

VLC media player
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't believe everything you get told, but in this case there is actually SOME truth to what you heard. But they've probably exaggerated how slow it will be if you add codec packs.

Just install VLC.

In my opinion trying to play ANYTHING in WMP is like grabbing a hammer and hitting yourself in the nuts over and over again and then complaining that your nuts hurt. WMP is such a piece of crap that I have seen it refuse to play non-encrypted WMV files, despite being upgraded to the current version. I mean if WMP can't even play Microsoft's own video files, then what good is it? Just install VLC and get on with your life.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to both of you! I just reinstalled windows so trying not to make too much mess!

I'm trying VLC 64bit portable version now.

But just as I was observing, i ran the installer for the K-Lite codec pack and found there was an option to select "flv" in the setup process. Although I cancelled the setup but does it mean that choosing this option would only install the flv codecs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mx900 View Post
    But just as I was observing, i ran the installer for the K-Lite codec pack and found there was an option to select "flv" in the setup process. Although I cancelled the setup but does it mean that choosing this option would only install the flv codecs?
    Delete that crap. NOBODY here would ever recommend K-Crap or any other codec pack. If you are not going to take advise, why ask for it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for your precious full-of-information reply! As I said I did not install it just was asking what were the options for.
    Going fine with VLC!
    Quote Quote  
  7. The virulence of Hech's reaction will be understandable if you hang out here a while. Sooooo many people have wrecked their systems with K-lite. It's not so much precious as "tough love."
    Quote Quote  
  8. HAHA.. I've used that K-Pack for like forever, but Im no tech guy, just use the computer when needed. But now portable vlc is comin good and after all the negative reviews this is the time to move on with my life meguess!
    Quote Quote