VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any Monitor/Tv shall support only RGB content to display or YCbCr content also support to display.
    Or If any Ycbcr(444/422) is input to that Monitor/Tv then it must be convert them to RGB and then display the content ??

As per my knowledge I understood that Monitors/Tv's shall support both RGB and YCbCr content to display(means Monitor/Tv's shall not convert the video content to RGB incase of YCC input, it just display what ever input occurs).

Is my assumption is wrong ??
    Quote Quote  
  2. What appears on the display is always RGB. Get a magnifying glass and look at your monitor/TV. You'll little red, green, and blue sub pixels. YUV is converted to RGB by either the source device or the monitor/TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Jagabo,

Is this applicable to all types of Monitors/Tv's ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. It is true of displays used by color TV and PC monitors (CRT, LCD, plasma, etc.), video camera displays, image scanners, mobile phone displays, video projectors, multicolor LED displays, and many others. Some form of RGB is used because the human eye perceives color stimuli using cone cells that respond to Red, Green, and Blue light waves in the environment, which are analog phenomena. All visual media must be converted to analog RGB output in order to be "seen" by the human eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

Google is your friend.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 05:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There was at least one TV that used a modified RGB system. It added a fourth color, yellow:

http://www.tested.com/tech/tvs/1004-rgb-vs-rgby-does-adding-yellow-really-improve-tv-image-quality/

The YUV system was invented so that broadcast color TV would remain compatible with existing black and white TVs. The Y component is the same greyscale signal that black and white TVs display. The U and V color components are added or subtracted from the greyscale image by color TVs to produce colors (black and white TVs don't see those signals). This has the additional benefit that the color information could be carried with lower bandwidth, and the human eye wouldn't notice because it has much less acuity for colors than for greyscale. The human eye has far ferwer cones than rods.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Narendra View Post
    Any Monitor/Tv shall support only RGB content to display or YCbCr content also support to display.
    Or If any Ycbcr(444/422) is input to that Monitor/Tv then it must be convert them to RGB and then display the content ??

As per my knowledge I understood that Monitors/Tv's shall support both RGB and YCbCr content to display(means Monitor/Tv's shall not convert the video content to RGB incase of YCC input, it just display what ever input occurs).

What input standard is used?

(VGA & .DVI are RGB - HDMI can have YCbCr but it is optional)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Narendra View Post
    Any Monitor/Tv shall support only RGB content to display or YCbCr content also support to display.
    There are many colorspace input standards and systems. But displayed output is always RGB.

Originally Posted by Narendra View Post

YCC is a color storage, scanning, and transmission system. It can store a range of colors, contrast, and saturation that is beyond the capabilities of human vision. It can be displayed on standard RGB and wide-gamut RGB monitors, but it must still be converted to RGB. If you would like to buy a TV or monitor that can process YCC source media, be advised that you will lose dark and bright detail thru YCC>RGB processing unless you can get your hands on wide-gamut monitors. In that case you'll be looking at wide-gamut RGB rather than "standard" RGB. If you would like to view the full spectrum of YCC data, you might have to wait another 35 million years for the human eye to evolve new sensors.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 05:50.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi All,

Conclusion is displayed output is always RGB whatever input was.

Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote