VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can someone recommend standalone hardware media player for use with TV? (device like WD TV Live media player)
    Preferably the device which have built-in VLC media player as default player, that plays most multimedia formats.
    For playing live video streams over the Internet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    Preferably the device which have built-in VLC media player as default player
    None, aside from a home theater PC. The small devices have very weak CPUs and use custom hardware accelerated video decoders. So they're limited to what those chips can do. Fortunately, the chips are pretty flexible and powerful these days and can handle up to Blu-ray spec pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    can someone recommend standalone hardware media player for use with TV? (device like WD TV Live media player)
    Preferably the device which have built-in VLC media player as default player, that plays most multimedia formats.
    Standalone media players don't include hardware or an OS that are sophisticated enough to run a software player like VLC. If you must run VLC, then you need an HTPC. If you must have a standalone hardware media player, then forget about finding one that runs VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Standalone media players don't include hardware or an OS that are sophisticated enough to run a software player like VLC. If you must run VLC, then you need an HTPC. If you must have a standalone hardware media player, then forget about finding one that runs VLC.
    Why some of IPTV set-top boxes cannot be designed as a full-featured HTPC devices? There is some Linux based IPTV STBs. Is is better to use nettop instead of IPTV STB?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    Why some of IPTV set-top boxes cannot be designed as a full-featured HTPC devices?
    Cost.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why some of IPTV set-top boxes cannot be designed as a full-featured HTPC devices? There is some Linux based IPTV STBs.
    IPTV boxes usually require a paid subscription to a particular IPTV service provider to work. Permitting those who buy an IPTV STB to use their box for some other purpose is not in the interest of the service provider. The service provider makes a profit from selling their service. They make very little profit from selling the STB itself. If the IPTV box is for free services, then the box itself cannot be an expensive item or nobody will want it.

Is is better to use nettop instead of IPTV STB?
    You need to define exactly what you want to do with a net top. If you want a media player that can run VLC and play media files, a net top could serve that purpose. However, if you want to transcode and stream video to the Internet, not all net tops will perform well at the task transcoding. If you want something that will allow you to watch streaming video from high-definition streaming media services, not all net tops can decrypt encrypted streams from some service providers or play the stream smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you want a media player that can run VLC and play media files, a net top could serve that purpose.
    I'd be careful about that. CPU and/or GPU power in a net top may not be sufficient for 1080p playback.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IPTV boxes usually require a paid subscription to a particular IPTV service provider to work. Permitting those who buy an IPTV STB to use their box for some other purpose is not in the interest of the service provider. The service provider makes a profit from selling their service. They make very little profit from selling the STB itself. If the IPTV box is for free services, then the box itself cannot be an expensive item or nobody will want it.
    Well, there are plenty OEM STBs models that are not tied to any specific IPTV provider.
    You need to define exactly what you want to do with a net top. If you want a media player that can run VLC and play media files, a net top could serve that purpose. However, if you want to transcode and stream video to the Internet, not all net tops will perform well at the task transcoding. If you want something that will allow you to watch streaming video from high-definition streaming media services, not all net tops can decrypt encrypted streams from some service providers or play the stream smoothly.
    I need specifically for watching streaming video from HD streaming media services, live TVs. (MPEG-1/2 Video(mpgv), H264 - MPEG-4 AVC(part 10) (h264), rtmp streams). VLC media player is very good for this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if you're into Android devices but this is a powerful device that'll do what you want.

http://www.timingpower.com/rk3066-android-mini-pc
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    I don't know if you're into Android devices but this is a powerful device that'll do what you want.

Translation:

This is a powerful Android device that MAY be able to do what you want, but nobody knows for sure because you can't buy one and they don't say how much it will cost if it ever goes back on sale. They're blaming "manufacturing delays" and promising to have them next week, but again, you can't buy one now nor will they tell you the cost.

So if you're very patient this MIGHT be an option - if it ever becomes available and it's not cost prohibitive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. One of the Amazon reviews linked from that site says it costs $55. It gets somewhat mixed reviews but people (technologically proficient ones, anyway) generally seemed pleased with it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, there are plenty OEM STBs models that are not tied to any specific IPTV provider.
    There may be OEM STBs running Linux, but they do not have the same computing power as a PC. They do not need to have that kind of computing power because they are running proprietary, scaled-down versions of Linux. If they were to be enhanced to have the ability to run a more full-featured version of Linux and software players, like VLC, they would essentially be low-end computers and have similar price tags. If that is the that case, why bother making one? They would just end up competing for customers with existing low-power, low-cost computers.

I need specifically for watching streaming video from HD streaming media services, live TVs. (MPEG-1/2 Video(mpgv), H264 - MPEG-4 AVC(part 10) (h264), rtmp streams). VLC media player is very good for this.
    Some net tops are powerful enough to allow watching streaming video from HD streaming media services, and some are not. Something based on older Intel Atom CPUs or AMD E-Series APUs may not have enough power for what you describe. The net tops that are powerful enough to handle commercial streaming services cost as much or more than a desktop capable of doing the same things. These are net tops using Intel Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs or AMD A-series APUs. I don't know anything about the performance of the new Atom CPUs that were just released in the past couple of weeks, so I can't say whether they are an option or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Looks like a Raspberry Pi clone with case to me.
    The usual ARM based devices...
    BTW, not all of them have hardware decoding enabled, regardless if they have SC or DualCore ARM CPUs.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

I don't think that such small device will be able to play RTMP video streams without delay, picture cutting off/ freezing and pixelation. RTMP streams is particularly CPU-intensive, so it can play poorly if devices lack hardware acceleration for video. Android 2.x devices lack hardware acceleration for video. Consequently, the CPU has to do all the work.
    Last edited by siluet; 17th Mar 2013 at 06:10.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    //
    Quote Quote  
  16. Apart from the WD and Asus box, most of those STB's make big promises, but rarely deliver. Check out the VIZIO Co-Star, it might do what you want, sort of. You can install the VLC client for Android, but you would have to set a PC with the VLC server to stream to it. You can also do the same with a PLEX server/client combo.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Apart from the WD and Asus box, most of those STB's make big promises, but rarely deliver. Check out the VIZIO Co-Star, it might do what you want, sort of. You can install the VLC client for Android, but you would have to set a PC with the VLC server to stream to it. You can also do the same with a PLEX server/client combo.

Didn't find it specification: what video formats it support? Does it support RTSP, RTMP video streams, .m3u, .m3u8 playlists? Not clear what is purpose a PC with the VLC server? I only need to watch live video streams from internet.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i can watch HD fom amazon, hulu , or Netflix
    uing my sony media player
    it also plays files from usb from stick or external HD

it does not play mkv, iso, or dvd folders,
    it does play vob, mpeg, avi, dvix, xvid, etc..
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    Didn't find it specification...
    What didn't see the Specs link at the top of the page. The PC is so you can stream any format that the box doesn't support in the first place. Anyway, never mind that, the Ouya console is actually happening and it supports XBMC. You just might have to wait to get one, I imagine supply will tight at first with kickstarters getting first dibs. If you can't wait, then get a Zotac ZBOX nano and run XBMCbuntu.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Just saw this about another XBMC distro (OpenElec) that looks very interesting; it even runs on Raspberry Pi.
    Quote Quote  
  21. It's official Ouya is shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone suggest hardware media player with internal 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive: that can store media files from PC via Ethernet and WiFi interface, and play stored media files on TV via HDMI connection?
    Last edited by siluet; 22nd Oct 2014 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, that's close to what I wanted. Not sure what is main difference between kdLinks HD720 and kdLinks A200 - the A200 model can additionally stream live videos from XBMC, Youtube?
    Quote Quote  
  25. The WD TV Live Hub had an internal disk. It's not made any more though. I assume you can access the disk via network shares since all the other WD TV devices allow it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, that's close to what I wanted. Not sure what is main difference between kdLinks HD720 and kdLinks A200 - the A200 model can additionally stream live videos from XBMC, Youtube?
    Yes, that is one of the differences. I believe there are others too. You would need to do some research to find out which one suits you best.
    Quote Quote  
  27. A better solution is to have an inexpensive NAS for storage. Then used any media player that can access network shares. That's what we have for several TVs and computers in the house.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A better solution is to have an inexpensive NAS for storage. Then used any media player that can access network shares. That's what we have for several TVs and computers in the house.
    I just don't want use PC when watching movie on TV, and I canno connect TV to NAS.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    A better solution is to have an inexpensive NAS for storage. Then used any media player that can access network shares. That's what we have for several TVs and computers in the house.
    I just don't want use PC when watching movie on TV, and I canno connect TV to NAS.
    My point was: if you get a NAS you can use any media player that can access network shares. You're not limited to media players with a built in hard drive. I got an empty two bay NAS last year for about US$80.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My point was: if you get a NAS you can use any media player that can access network shares. You're not limited to media players with a built in hard drive. I got an empty two bay NAS last year for about US$80.
    But this require to use additional hardware, dedicated media player or computer.
    Quote Quote