VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a Emerson VHS player connected with RCA cables to my Sony high 8 camcorder. Then a fire wire to my dell studio and Windows Movie Maker.. My camera is recognized in movie Maker but when I start the playback it tells me that I must have a tape in the camcorder. So, that is against all other instructions I've found for DCR-TRV 330 Sony digital 8 concerning pass through video capture. So what have I done wrong and will it work at all?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    high 8 is analog so there is no analog to digital passthrough at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi 8 has a I-link port and I have transferred video before from 8mm tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not digitally. high 8 is strictly analog. you still need an analog to digital converter to capture the video.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure it's not a d8 cam?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Click image for larger version

Name:	high 8 008.JPG
Views:	2222
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	16585this is it a Sony High8 DCR-TRV 330
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wrong. read the f'ing label on the cam. DIGITAL8 not HIGH8.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks for the help, I'm not in a f'ing contest with you. just trying to figure this out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    sigh-yes i am, and i'm also tired of people who can't read, answer a simple question and/or type a question into google without help.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. And I wish the OP would correct his subject to 'Digital8' so future users that search for Hi8 would not stumble onto this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do you know that this cam supports analog passthru? Some DV/D8 models do some don't. If it specifically says so in the manual, then just stick a tape in!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably a capture program issue, not camcorder. Some capture programs are only designed to capture DV from DV-recorded tape so transport controls are sent to camcorder to see if there is tape & what status it is in. So a tape has to be there (and only capture from it, not pass-thru). Other capture programs (like that in Premiere) offer a choice of stream-only capture (no transport controls) as well so presence of tape or not is irrelevant (setting camcorder to AV to DV-out makes camcorder the DA converter and sends DV stream over FireWire). I last used moviemaker in the jurassic era so am not aware if it has choices for tape or stream-only capture (setting it to the latter will solve the tape problem).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More likely he forgot to set the cam to av-dv out from the default in, which requires a tape to record to.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at this https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/353785-How-to-activate-DV-IN-Video-IN-on-my-SONY-DCR-TRV325E thread, second post gives a link to the manual for your TRV330 with pointers on where to find instructions on how to do exactly what you are trying to do.
    Last edited by Richard_G; 3rd Mar 2013 at 04:36.
    Quote Quote