VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anonymous4453
    Hello,

This problem has been bugging me for a long time. I want to capture a NTSC laserdisc to my computer. The video has clean colours and no other errors except for annoying horizontal lines when there is any motion and movements in the film. It doesn't look right to me.

Anyone can solve this?

thanks
    Last edited by Anonymous4453; 1st Mar 2013 at 07:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. That's what's on the disc -- interlaced video. It's how 24 frames per second film gets to 59.94 field per second analog video (packaged as 29.97 frames per second). You need to "inverse telecine" or deinterlace. Or convert to a format that supports interlaced video, like DVD, where the DVD player or TV deinterlaces for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Anonymous4453
    What format do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Converting an "uncompressed" analog LaserDisc to a 17-year-old MPEG-2 based format always seems like wasted potential to me.

You can capture lossless to Ut Video codec at about 43GB for a 110-minute movie (the rate fluctuates depending on the noise level etc.). Burn that to a BD50 for archiving.

Of course, nothing can play that back except a Windows PC. Author a second copy in the Blu-ray video format: http://www.x264bluray.com/home/480i-ntsc (or use the 480p guide if you prefer to IVTC first)

But that's if you demand the best.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think trying to suggest that creating a 43GB file is really a better or even a reasonable idea given that LD is standard definition anyway. But this is starting to get into religious territory as those that suggest "capture lossless" are really strongly attached to that idea and I don't intend to get bogged down into a fight over it. Just understand that just because vaporeon800 suggested it, you don't have to do it.

Just make a DVD out of your captures. It's the simplest and most reasonable solution you have. And for all we know your capture card can't do what vaporeon800 suggests any way. Mine can't. I do LD captures from time to time and most of the time I just make DVDs from them. I have made a few BluRays, but it's not my most common method of dealing with it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kazoo3 View Post
    What format do you recommend?
    What's your intended viewing device?
    Quote Quote  
  7. kazoo3, until we know what you want to do with the file -- watch it on TV, on a computer, projected on the side of a building, re-edit it into a trailer -- no one can give you a good answer.

jman and jagabo have both suggested DVD (which is likely to be the best answer.)

vaporeon's snarky answer was designed to go over your head.

So what do you want to do with this movie once you've converted it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Anonymous4453
    Just for viewing on my PC
    Quote Quote  
  9. What capture card are you using, what media player are you using --and what are the specs of the captured file? Post a mediainfo grab, or at least tell us the video codec, framerate, dimensions, bitrate, interlace or progessive and audio codec.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In that case you could do vaporeon800's suggestion if you capture card supports lossless captures. Or just capture in a high bit rate in whatever format your card supports. If you want to learn to do AviSynth AND re-encode your video AFTER you capture it, it is possible to turn those interlaced LD captures into progressive frames. But it requires work and learning and some people really just want to do this kind of thing as easily as possible and aren't interested in spending time to learn to use complicated software programs. My best friend basically turns off his brain if ANY software program makes him click more than about 3 buttons to do anything and he's unwilling to learn to use programs that are complicated. You need to be honest with yourself and if you fall into that category, you're probably not going to want to learn how to do AviSynth. AviSynth requires you to write scripts to feed into it and it may be more work than you want to do. Or perhaps not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post

vaporeon's snarky answer was designed to go over your head.
    WTF? Do you even know what snarky means?
    Quote Quote  
  12. It means you gave an answer that you yourself knew was over-the-top (your first line.) Then you added a smiley to show you were only "joking" about a Blu Ray backup. It was a "joke" you knew damn well OP wouldn't understand based on the nature of the question and your own years of experience. It's passive agressive. It's bullying. Whatever it is it's not called for.
    Last edited by smrpix; 1st Mar 2013 at 14:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Last edited by smrpix; 1st Mar 2013 at 20:50. Reason: too tempting to be snarky
    Yeah, I didn't think vaporon800's response was snarky either. A little bit unrealistic maybe, but not snarky. After all, we're talking about a poster that doesn't know interlacing when he sees it. Even to recommend he IVTC it using an AviSynth script might be asking too much. So I think I agree with you, smrpix (and jman98 and jagabo), that burning to DVD might be the best solution. It's also the easiest (if that's how he captures it to begin with).

snark·y [snahr-kee]
    adjective, snark·i·er, snark·i·est. Chiefly British Slang. testy or irritable; short.

snarky adj , snarkier , snarkiest
    informal unpleasant and scornful
    Quote Quote  
  14. Manono,

Fair enough. I've updated my post (actually cross-posted) before reading your reply. To be fair to future readers, I want to make clear you don't necessarily endorse what I've updated it to either.

But back to the subject at hand. What kind of gear is kazoo using?
    Last edited by smrpix; 1st Mar 2013 at 14:30.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I was thinking out loud about my own recent acquisition of LaserDisc hardware and how best to archive the discs. I apologize for doing so in this thread.

Of course I agree that DVD is best for 99% of people.
    Quote Quote