VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A rather peculiar problem. I made some subtitles in another language, and used an already existing subtitle file for the same film as a basis to save time. Now I have to fine tune some timings a bit.

The subtitles show rather nicely in VLC player as they are, there's just a bit of adjustment needed here and there. But when I load the file and video into subtitle workshop, the timing is all screwed up. The whole subtitles for an hour and a half flash by in the first five minutes.

The subtitle file is a txt, with the formatting:
    Code:
    {number}{number} text
    for each line.

It's pretty clear that the first number is start and the second is ending of the subtitle, but I cannot quite make out what quantity they represent. The numbers are too low to be miliseconds and too large to be seconds. It might be anything in between, or it might be frames, I'm rather new to this. Anyways, the main problem seems to stem from VLC interpreting them differently than STW.

The video is DivX encoded. Strangely STW says that it can't load it when I drag and drop it into the window, but opens it just fine when I go through the "open" menu, I don't know if that is significant. The problem is clearly not that the video would play more slowly in STW. As I said, the subtitles flash up incredibly fast. Also, if I save the file in STW and then load it into VLC, they are the same speed. So clearly the problem lies with interpreting the timing.

If I had at least an Idea what those numbers represent exactly, I could fix it with a short script that reads the file, recalculates the numbers and then writes them to the file again, or there might be an option I have to set in STW. Anyone here able to help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Never mind, had a lucky break.

The numbers are frames, but the framerate wasn't chosen correctly in STW (bug?), and setting the framerate after loading the subtitles recalculated their position to still be the same in the absolute frame as they were before. Somewhat counterintuitive, that...
    Quote Quote