VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20
FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
Thread
  1. Hi!

I see this in the changelog:
    - Fixed an issue where chapters disappeared by changing the image quality when playing YouTube with chapters
    Since when PP can even play youtube videos? When I add a youtube video url it fails to play, so I'm not sure what all this is about.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Hi!

- Fixed an issue where chapters disappeared by changing the image quality when playing YouTube with chapters
    Since when PP can even play youtube videos? When I add a youtube video url it fails to play, so I'm not sure what all this is about.
    Open URL (CTRL-U) works with youtube for me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some versions couldn't play youtube videos - at least some, try to upgrade to the latest version.

Copy link, Ctrl+C, go to PotPlayer, paste, Ctrl+V.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Hi!

Open URL (CTRL-U) works with youtube for me.
    I always get "failed to start playback". Unable to connect to requested server.

Even though PP has internet access, I can play plain mp4 files via url.

Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Some versions couldn't play youtube videos - at least some, try to upgrade to the latest version.

Copy link, Ctrl+C, go to PotPlayer, paste, Ctrl+V.
    I tried with the latest right now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone else have this issue, when you right-click on the potplayer icon on the taskbar (when its running) that you get 3 empty error messages?

It has been like that for at least the last year for me....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi!
    An unthinkable question in terms of complexity - is there information about how the thumbnails of bookmarks are encoded, those that are saved in the PBF file or in the registry? I assumed that Base64, but no, if it is, it is modified or with some metadata from Potplayer at the beginning, since about 350 of the first characters of different thumbnails are the same.
    We all need this important knowledge to automatically import or generate bookmark thumbnails.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    [210611]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    * Remove sponsor-related features

- Fixed a problem that causes screen to broken when playing certain H264 TS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Interesting, what it means, no pop-up ad?

I didn't have any before, so I can't check it, I'm just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any popups either so I'm not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Not Daum related anymore?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I meant that the popup/ad issue is obsolete, not the player itself, which is still one of my all-time favorites. I also keep MPC-HC and MPC-BE on my system.
    Last edited by Gus.Ghanem; 16th Aug 2024 at 11:36. Reason: Correction
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never seen these popups either.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi,
    Whenever potplayer is playing and i try to type something in other programs like browsers, photoshop etc., I can not type some characters, especially punctuations, instead, the typing affects potplayer and runs any shortcut that is related to that character.

For example, when potplayer is working I can't type "." in other programs, instead, it does an action in potplayer which in the shortcut list is connected with ".".

I'm on win 11.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by henrikkhach View Post
    Hi,
    Whenever potplayer is playing and i try to type something in other programs like browsers, photoshop etc., I can not type some characters, especially punctuations, instead, the typing affects potplayer and runs any shortcut that is related to that character.

For example, when potplayer is working I can't type "." in other programs, instead, it does an action in potplayer which in the shortcut list is connected with ".".

I'm on win 11.
    You somehow set the hotkeys to be global. You need to find the setting to change it back.
    Last edited by mzso; 19th Aug 2022 at 03:07.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Originally Posted by henrikkhach View Post
    Hi,

I'm on win 11.
    You somehow the hotkeys to be global. You need to find the setting to change it back.
    Thanks for your reply. I'll try and send feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by henrikkhach View Post
    Originally Posted by henrikkhach View Post
    Hi,

I'm on win 11.
    You somehow the hotkeys to be global. You need to find the setting to change it back.
    Thanks for your reply. I'll try and send feedback.
    Yes, it worked. Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi!

Is anyone still around? Can I get Potplayer to ignore {\an8} in srt subtitles. So it wouldn't put subtitles unexpectedly to the top.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I had not done anything with PotPlayer in years, but recently set up the portable x64 March 2024 edition (after a quick, partial scan of reviews / comments here) onto a Win-10 Pro rig. You have to be impressed with the endless array of Settings & Preferences offered, which seemingly allow for control over every last aspect of program function. I can't see how a poster several comments above this one could call this player "obsolete" ?! Seems like this player would be a good alternative option to have on hand -- especially since a few others like Light Alloy have since fallen by the wayside. There are always going to be certain videos that exhibit problems in one player, but not necessarily in another.

My question: Is the tattletale 'phone home' behavior that people railed against for years now truly done and gone ? I'm not finding any occurrence of Potplayermini.exe in this one, which was often cited as a prime offender and target for firewall inclusion. I have disabled automatic updates or downloads of later program files. Is that going to be sufficient ? Has this player turned into a solid citizen ? Good news, if the answer is 'Yes.'

[My current Players roster: VLC (of course), MPC BE, Zoom Player Max, and this one.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 15th Aug 2024 at 10:39.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Both, the Potplayer and Opencodec installers can be extracted using 7-Zip.

Here is the latest Opencodec:
    https://t1.daumcdn.net/potplayer/PotPlayer/Codec/v3/OpenCodecSetup.exe
    https://t1.daumcdn.net/potplayer/PotPlayer/Codec/v3/OpenCodecSetup64.exe

Extract using 7-Zip and copy the "Module" folder to your Potplayer root folder and merge it with the existing one. There's nothing to overwrite, it just adds a few more files. You can delete the "$PLUGINSDIR" folder which is only used by the installer.
    Note the "v3" in the links.

The absolute minimum files and folders required to run PotPlayer:

PotPlayerMini64.exe
    PotPlayer64.dll
    ffcodec64.dll
    PotIcons64.dll
    Language folder with its contents (built-in language is Korean)
    Module folder with its contents, including OpenCodec.

That's all you really need to play all audio and video formats.
    Last edited by Gus.Ghanem; 18th Aug 2024 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I didn't want to quote everything on PotPlayer being obsolete. I have it on system and updated regularly. Between Pp and VLC I think there are a couple of differences (codecs?) where one will play a vid that the other has a problem with. I have no plug in video card on anything and only use the onboard graphics but my needs are pretty minimal.

The phone home issue was something I hadn't followed but good to know about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gus.Ghanem View Post
    The absolute minimum files and folders required to run PotPlayer:

PotPlayerMini64.exe
    I'll take another look, but I did not find that one present in my (installed, not portable-ized) setup.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I didn't want to quote everything on PotPlayer being obsolete. I have it on system and updated regularly. Between Pp and VLC I think there are a couple of differences (codecs?) where one will play a vid that the other has a problem with. I have no plug in video card on anything and only use the onboard graphics but my needs are pretty minimal.

The phone home issue was something I hadn't followed but good to know about.
    More support for my mantra that a single program in most categories won't be sufficient. (Browsers, downloaders -- you name it.) More options = a higher overall rate of success.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I know potplayer allows the use of different codecs from built-in to ffmpeg, ffmpeg minimum, or system codecs. Does System MFT (MediaFoundation) support dolby digital atmos for eac3 when selected in the program or does it only do eac3 without decoding the objects present in dolby atmos? I know Windows 10 and Windows 11 have DolbyDecMFT.dll which decodes dolby digital atmos in Microsoft Edge, Movies & TV app, and Windows Media Player. When I look at the stats in Potplayer it does not mention anything about atmos, so I'm thinking that maybe it's not using the newer Media Foundation dolby atmos decoding dll present in Windows 10 and 11. Does anyone know anything else about this? Would be nice to have convenient decoding of Dolby Atmos at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know anything about this... But try installing this:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_dolby_ac3_installer.html
    Then you will see Microsoft DSHOW AC3 Decoder in PotPlayer.

I have no experience with Atmos or any kind of surround sound, I've always used stereo speakers, no headphones, so I can't test/check if Atmos is active. I couldn't get the MS filter to be used even as "prefered" (I found a few Atmos samples).

The MPEG Splitter was defaulting to TrueHD + Atmos instead of AC3 + Atmos (got the MS filter to work in MPC-BE after changing the MPEG Splitter to AC3).
    Last edited by Gus.Ghanem; 19th Aug 2024 at 21:16. Reason: Update
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thank you for the links, quite useful information. I was able to find the dolby atmos decoder Mediafoundation dll file and then rename it to something else using .bak at the end of file. This allowed me to do the System MFT eac3 test to prove that a file could not access the Microsoft decoder unless the dll was named as the system required. Essentially, Microsoft was allowing the Dolby Digital Atmos Decoder to work with Potplayer as long as the application did it correctly. I'm quite surprised that the Developer(s) are able to make this happen when most other creators of video players don't seem to understand how to do that. I learned that Microsoft allows other developers to access the dll as long as they correctly program their applications to access it. As far as I know, there is no real or easy way to listen to TrueHD/atmos. Pretty much AC3/EAC3/TrueHD use bed channels like 5.1/7.1 for their multichannel output. Atmos adds the extension objects in space to the bed channel configuration of multichannel. Example is such as 7.1.4 for Dolby Atmos. Windows doesn't really allow that easily in sound configuration yet, its normally just 2.0/2.1/5.1/7.1 normally. Windows 10 and Windows 11 have dolby digital atmos mediafoundation and dolby digital/dolby digital plus in directshow format. I'm quite sure that directshow filter by microsoft won't allow atmos, only the mediafoundation filter does that. You would need to go into potplayer settings for audio decoder and change eac3 to System MFT, then go to playback system info (Control+F1) or right click on it in potplayer. This would show you that System MFT Decoder is active. AC3 by itself doesn't have any connection to atmos, it's normally EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) that has atmos extension.

There's so much information about all of this that it gets rather complicated. You won't see a lot of benefit for atmos when using stereo unless you use a special soundbar or something like that. Either way it would be nice to be able to decode Dolby Atmos. The big issue is that Microsoft forces DRC or some sort of compression of the sound which sometimes can make sound clip or cause other sorts of sound issues. I think it's a matter of time before there's a decoder for Dolby Atmos, mainly as extension to Dolby Digital. TrueHD extension to Dolby Atmos will probably take more time since they claim it's closed source information (proprietary).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gus.Ghanem View Post
    I don't know anything about this... But try installing this:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_dolby_ac3_installer.html
    Then you will see Microsoft DSHOW AC3 Decoder in PotPlayer.

I have no experience with Atmos or any kind of surround sound, I've always used stereo speakers, no headphones, so I can't test/check if Atmos is active. I couldn't get the MS filter to be used even as "prefered" (I found a few Atmos samples).

The MPEG Splitter was defaulting to TrueHD + Atmos instead of AC3 + Atmos (got the MS filter to work in MPC-BE after changing the MPEG Splitter to AC3).
    I don't have or need support for Atmos either, however I do have installed programs that want LAV filters to be their default, and that may cast the Big Nix onto having the DirectShow dogs ruling the junkyard. (Not talking about for home theater here, just for doing whatever on the PC.)
    Quote Quote  
  27. I have persisting issue with PotPlayer remaining in latest build 240618. All HD videos from Youtube played via URL streaming are at most 640 pixels wide. If I download concerned video to local disk via 3rd party tool, like YT Downloader, the video already shows full resolution. How is that fixable?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I would recommend you get beta builds if you can considering they try to fix new issues that come about that are noticed. That could help with potplayer concerning youtube issues. There should be a drop down button on upper right corner of potplayer once you load up a youtube video to change the video quality and even audio quality (opus or aac). You should be given some choices. You can even go further and go to subtitles and click on english auto generated to get the AI algorithm subtitles to follow through with the video you watch. Youtube used to even allow twitch to be used but the extension is too old.
    Quote Quote