VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I was just robbed, and only by sheer luck did the thief not find my vault of movie DVDs!

Please recommend something free that I can use until I can afford to buy a FAB suite? I don't need any Blu-Ray or HD features, just want to make sure that my significant investment is protected.

Oh and, while I'm at it, is there a link somewhere that shows what features are disabled on the various trial FABs + how long the trial period lasts + license renewal info? I couldn't find this anywhere on the FAB site but I'd really like to know these basic feature/license limitations of their different products.
    Thanks guys.

mc
    Flying around and ready to bite.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    trial is 30 days
    basic copying of complete dvd or main movie to hard drive or DVD work

i think its all the ripping and format conversion features that are disabled
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    trial is 30 days
    • For what product?
    • Where is the FAB link?
    I'm sorry I don't do gibberish. Clarify you meant
    • The basic copying of a complete dvd or main movie to a hard drive or DVD will work in the trial version
    i think its all the ripping and format conversion features that are disabled
    I'm looking for a way to back up my commercially-purchased DVD movies into an ISO format that I can burn, so once again I have to ask:
    • What product(s) are you referring to?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mods . . . am I asking this in the right forum? If not, please move it to the Newbies forum. Thanks!

mc
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVDFab Decrypter (no expiry, you just need to keep updating) or AnyDVD....and ImgBurn.
    DVDFab Decrypter and AnyDVD will produce a DVD folder on your HDD.
    ImgBurn will make you an ISO and/or burn folder/ISO to make a backup disc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of the DVDFab products are actually the same program, just with different features enabled (excluding PassKey and the media player). The download link at the top of their site will take you to the page where you can download that program. There are currently 2 versions available, 8 which uses an older style interface and 9 which is a complete rewrite. It starts in trial mode with all of the options active, after 30 days all but the copy options expire and the copy is limited to either full disk or main movie. You can choose to save as either a dvd folder structure or as an ISO. The free copy function does not expire but newer copy protections are not supported as quickly as in the paid version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
    trial is 30 days
    • For what product?
    • Where is the FAB link?
    What seems to be your major malfunction jackass?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by MISS CHIEVOUS View Post
    trial is 30 days
    • For what product?
    • Where is the FAB link?
    What seems to be your major malfunction jackass?

Simple. He's an idiot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Miss,

The Fab products are great. Use them for 30 days and if the parts you need aren't working after that buy a copy. click here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab-Decrypter
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Miss,

The Fab products are great. Use them for 30 days and if the parts you need aren't working after that buy a copy. click here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab-Decrypter
    smrpix, thank you for both your courtesy and your grammar. I'm probably older than most of you on this board and it will horrify some members to know that I am perfectly content with my non-BluRay DVD player + 32" Analog Sony Trinitron TV (I'm primarily a reader, truth be told). But that doesn't mean that I don't have an impressive DVD collection, including a huge television vault of 20th century
    4:3 classics (Dark Shadows, TZ, numerous BBC productions, One Step Beyond, etc.) and some lovely box sets.

What I would like to be able to do when I'm backing up these DVDs is to be able to cut out certain portions (insulting piracy PSAs, preview crap, Blu-Ray advertisements that don't interest me, etc.) and in some rare instances, edit the structure of the DVD such that the "Episodes Selection" — dominant primarily on my older DVDs before it dawned on the producers that most of us want to Play All Episodes Sequentially, without having to interact with the Menu each time — could be vested with a "Play All" option . . . and then save the file to an ISO.

I have a safe deposit box wide enough to fit a 4TB hard drive that will accommodate my collection
    of these ISOs. Should I be robbed again, at least I'll have backups. As long as I invest in the hard drive however, I want the labor/blank-discs/HDD/safe-deposit-box rental expenses to be justified: If I go to all this trouble, I want the DVDs I would have to rip to be exactly the way I want them.

Can you advise me explicitly what FAB product I should be downloading and trying for a month? because on FAB's site I see numerous products that appear to be limited to only one or two functions. I obviously don't need anything with HD or Blu-Ray . . . but I would like the option to, for example, get rid of previews and code some of my older TV DVDs with the ability to run episodes sequentially.

Let me know please? I just really wish FAB had a Product Features Comparison Chart so I could quickly see the differences in the various licenses. Thank you
    smrpix!

mc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    All of the DVDFab products are actually the same program, just with different features enabled (excluding PassKey and the media player). The download link at the top of their site will take you to the page where you can download that program. There are currently 2 versions available, 8 which uses an older style interface and 9 which is a complete rewrite. It starts in trial mode with all of the options active, after 30 days all but the copy options expire and the copy is limited to either full disk or main movie. You can choose to save as either a dvd folder structure or as an ISO. The free copy function does not expire but newer copy protections are not supported as quickly as in the paid version.
    zing269, thank you for explaining this. The problem I'm having is this: Each of these downloads is a different size! It makes perfectly logical sense, but each of these is a separate download with a different size arrrrrgh!

Honestly, it's confusing as hell tsk . . .

mc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh and I should probably point out, I have both Power Archiver and Ultra ISO, either of which can burn an ISO (if that's of any consequence). Thanks for your patience guys, you're the best!

mc
    Quote Quote  
  13. Use the link I posted above. Click on download (direct link). As zing269 said, "All of the DVDFab products are actually the same program, just with different features enabled." (Others said it in different ways too.) All the options are visible for comparison.

With what you want to do, you will need the paid version. It's pretty self explanatory. You will probably mess something up the first couple of times --because everyone does.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the product descriptions it appears that you would want the DVD Copy product. Try the DVD Copy -> Customize option during the trial period and see if that does what you want. I must admit that I've never used any of the functions other than full disk and main movie copy.
    Quote Quote