VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know that usually requires using a 3rd party licensing service according to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/protectcontent.aspx
    However those licensing services are only able to function because of software that THEY have. So how do I get THEIR software (you know, the software that lets them generate license keys, and encrypt videos, you know the services they provide to content owners but said owners). Well what I if I want to issue my own licenses and encrypt my videos with those self-issued licenses? How do I get a copy of the "license generator" and "video encryptor" software that those other "3rd party" services usually have? Please help.

I don't want to have to depend on someone else, for encrypting my own videos.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can't encrypt WMV files with this. It only lets me encrypt IIS Smooth Streaming video files. Also, it tries to contact a licensing server for implementation of DRM. I don't want to pay another service for using their licensing server. I want to run my own licensing server. I'm planning on writing my own server software from scratch for this purpose. However I can't find any documentation on just what the communication protocol is that it uses to communicate with the licensing server. I can specify the URL of my licensing server, but I don't know how it sends the data to my server, nor do I know how my server is supposed to reply. Is there some documentation somewhere on this stuff?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I'm concerned, the OP tries to ENcrypt a file, not DEcrypt. I haven't looked through the FreeMe2 code, but maybe there's some hint like how to send the data.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    People who want to ENCRYPT their media automatically fall into the category of those who will pay the big bucks and follow the accepted corporate/bigbusiness way of doing things (by using existing License servers and "registering" their media, etc.), whether they want to or not.

Don't want to pay (or pay more)? Either create your own method of encryption (and whole production, distribution, & playback structure & apps to go along with it) or give up on the encryption idea.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    People who want to ENCRYPT their media automatically fall into the category of those who will pay the big bucks and follow the accepted corporate/bigbusiness way of doing things (by using existing License servers and "registering" their media, etc.), whether they want to or not.

Don't want to pay (or pay more)? Either create your own method of encryption (and whole production, distribution, & playback structure & apps to go along with it) or give up on the encryption idea.

Scott
    There are a number of companies that encrypt it that the content producers pay for the encrypting services. I assume that the encrypting companies perform this encryption with commercially available software packages (basically the companies that do encryption buy their encryption software from a software writing company), that I can buy and set up on my own computer (effectively making me one of these "encryption companies"). The advantage of doing so is that I can then create and encrypt my own content. My only problem is I do not know the names of the commercially available software that these content encryption companies use. I'd rather pay big bucks ONCE to a software company and have the software to use indefinitely, than I would pay big bucks every certain period of time to an encryption company for the mere SERVICE of them encrypting my media.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try 'TrueCrypt'. http://www.truecrypt.org/ It's free.

If you want to use encryption like MS or some other large companies uses, you need a lot of $$$$$$$$$$.
    Quote Quote