VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I posted this over on AVSforum, but will do so here as well, in case some of you are well-versed in this subject.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping to find answers to certain questions, from those very familiar with the DirecTV hardware.

A couple months back, one of my HR23-700 receivers died -- in a way that leaves me thinking it's about 85 % likely that it was the power supply that burned up. (So, the HDD is probably intact.) But, bottom line, the receiver is a doorstop now. And I got too busy to do anything about it, until now. I'd like to replace this unit with something similar and compatible, probably an HR24-500, probably one to be owned rather than leased, and most preferably without initiating a new 2-year service commitment. I'd like to be free to drop D* altogether, should the situation become unsatisfactory. (The desired outcome is a more critical factor to me than the cost.)

I'm receiving some conflicting advice pointing towards the HR34, but, even if it was compatible with the existing setup (some sources say 'NO', and that this would definitely restart the contract clock), I don't need whole house, or 5 tuners, and find some of what I've been reading about this model online not particularly favorable. Usually, I'm inclined to choose an older model, if it has a more proven track record. There seem to be ample sources around for buying leftover stock. Refurbs or Used -- not interested. The more responsible vendors mention that you need to check a RID # with D* first, and make a specific arrangement for Owned instead of Leased.

Why the HR24-500 ? More HDD capacity would have been a plus, but from what I've read, this model has an extra fan in back, and after the above experience that has to be a good thing -- right ? And it seems to have gotten better reviews.

But this could be the most important immediate question: According to posts I read in some DBStalk threads, each HDD is "married" to its original receiver (How ? Via firmware ? Or just the Access Card ?), and so its contents can never be salvaged and re-used. If true, I couldn't just transplant the old HDD into an HR24, or even another HR23, and still access all of the rare and irreplaceable stuff that happened to be on that HDD ? Absolutely positively -- No Exceptions ? What about by connecting it to the e-SATA port of an HR24 or later model ? This may be one of the worst failings of D*, almost enough to make me consider switching to whatever service -- if any -- does not have that limitation.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know about DirectTV in particular but I believe you're SOL regarding the recordings on your old hard drive. I believe the are encrypted based on both the serial number of the drive and the DVR. And as far as I know nobody has cracked the encryption used on cable and satellite DVRs. If you're right about the power supply on the old DVR and you need those old recordings I would look for the same model and switch the power supplies.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know about DirectTV in particular but I believe you're SOL regarding the recordings on your old hard drive. I believe the are encrypted based on both the serial number of the drive and the DVR. And as far as I know nobody has cracked the encryption used on cable and satellite DVRs. If you're right about the power supply on the old DVR and you need those old recordings I would look for the same model and switch the power supplies.
    Thanks. That's an interesting idea that hadn't occurred to me. I guess it would depend on how much those components are similar to the ones found in a computer. Some DVDRs went to great lengths to prevent you from replacing components. Obtaining another of whatever PSU those things used -- a new one I mean -- might be impossible, especially if it is something proprietary. The only source might be another of the same box. The PSU could easily be the weakest link in these things. I know that I've had to stock spares for the Shuttle XPCs that I favor, because they tend to only last a couple years.

Later models of their DVRs have an e-SATA port, for attaching additional, external storage. But my guess is that it would probably format the external drive and then start from scratch. I intend to find out about that.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Later models of their DVRs have an e-SATA port, for attaching additional, external storage. But my guess is that it would probably format the external drive and then start from scratch. I intend to find out about that.
    The external drives are encrypted too. The new DVR won't have the correct decryption key.
    Quote Quote