VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 myself now and I'm new to it. What do you all think is the best capture program to use with it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppauge is now pushing their own capture program, but I haven't used it so I don't remember the name. I think they used to use Arcsoft's ShowBiz but they now encourage people to use their own program. Unfortunately their program seems to lack some settings that ShowBiz supports, making it a "no go" for me.

I've read that Cyberlink makes a program that works with it. I think it's Power Director. Most 3rd party programs don't work with Hauppauge devices.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What do you mean by "best"? Best picture quality? Least CPU usage? The ability to stream live video to the internet? The ability to overlay a second audio track for commentary?

The HD PVR 2 does the compression so there's not really any difference in picture quality, except that some software may give you access to a wider variety of settings (Hauppauge's track record over the last several years has been to provide fewer and fewer options).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What do you mean by "best"? Best picture quality? Least CPU usage? The ability to stream live video to the internet? The ability to overlay a second audio track for commentary?

The HD PVR 2 does the compression so there's not really any difference in picture quality, except that some software may give you access to a wider variety of settings (Hauppauge's track record over the last several years has been to provide fewer and fewer options).
    Best picture quality. And just all around best program for capture, that would work with the Hauppauge of course. I have a fast PC so I'm not worried about requirements.
    Last edited by focuspuller; 22nd Mar 2014 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are some sources to potentially record that have Dolby Digital Plus as the surround sound track. While DD+ is supposed to be backward compatible to Dolby Digital, I have had no luck recording the audio using the 1512 and instead have to change the source to 2-channel. Anyone have a solution?

Jim
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
    There are some sources to potentially record that have Dolby Digital Plus as the surround sound track. While DD+ is supposed to be backward compatible to Dolby Digital, I have had no luck recording the audio using the 1512 and instead have to change the source to 2-channel. Anyone have a solution?

Jim
    As it turns out, there is a fairly new version of Hauppauge Capture (32062) which for the first time features a Dolby Digital + decoder (E-AC-3). I'll see whether this resolves the problem..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
    Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
    There are some sources to potentially record that have Dolby Digital Plus as the surround sound track. While DD+ is supposed to be backward compatible to Dolby Digital, I have had no luck recording the audio using the 1512 and instead have to change the source to 2-channel. Anyone have a solution?

Jim
    As it turns out, there is a fairly new version of Hauppauge Capture (32062) which for the first time features a Dolby Digital + decoder (E-AC-3). I'll see whether this resolves the problem..
    Hi Jim! Do you have a link? All I can find is 32048
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hudsonf View Post

Jim
    Hi Jim! Do you have a link? All I can find is 32048
    http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help and I wanted to know if you guys have any idea why this is happening:

I recently purchased a HD PVR 2. I have 2 set top boxes with Shaw in Canada, one of which is 1080i and works fine. The newer Motorola DCX3510-M I have seems to have a problem when used with the HD PVR 2. When using HDMI cables in and out, sometimes the picture on the TV does not appear at all and when it does appear, it appears and disappears every few seconds. Running the latest HDPVRCapture 3.4.0 I can initiate a recording however same thing happens and it goes out and comes back on, but on my desktop it shows an error of "HD Content Proection of your display has been compromised, use the component cable ...". Which I tried but it doesn't give out a 1080p signal and instead it gives a 480i signal. Any help would be much appreciated. I tried the troubleshooting of the HD PVR 2 support page which states, I should change the resolution on the set top box. That didn't help either as you can see in the second picture I have posted. The thing is I am under the impression that there is some sort of restriction Shaw has put so it can not be used this way. I can not even access the advanced settings by turning the motorola set top box off and press the menu button. It only gives me the option to change resolution from the front panel display of the motorola and nothing appears on the TV.

Thanks,
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 4.21.23 PM.png
Views:	472
Size:	677.7 KB
ID:	24425  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.56.06 PM.png
Views:	474
Size:	990.7 KB
ID:	24426  

Last edited by manielli; 9th Apr 2014 at 03:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Most set top cable boxes require HDCP. You'll need an HDCP stripper. See this thread for some examples:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot, I just purchased a 4k hdmi1.4 splitter which I think should do the job as I understand from the posts from others.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Carefule, not all HDMI splitters remove HDCP. Only a few.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by manielli View Post
    Thanks a lot, I just purchased a 4k hdmi1.4 splitter which I think should do the job as I understand from the posts from others.
    This one definitely works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did realise that only some would do that. I found a few on eBay and they hint at HDCP compliance. How can one make sure they are actually removers too?

Here's a link to what I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261285978120?redirect=mobile
    Quote Quote  
  15. I am pretty new to this and completely stumped on getting the ir blaster to work on a Motorola dcx3510-m. Is there anyway you can tell me how you go the blaster to work for yours? I am guessing you either found another code that works or are using the firewire changing method. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by manielli View Post
    Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help and I wanted to know if you guys have any idea why this is happening:

I recently purchased a HD PVR 2. I have 2 set top boxes with Shaw in Canada, one of which is 1080i and works fine. The newer Motorola DCX3510-M I have seems to have a problem when used with the HD PVR 2. When using HDMI cables in and out, sometimes the picture on the TV does not appear at all and when it does appear, it appears and disappears every few seconds. Running the latest HDPVRCapture 3.4.0 I can initiate a recording however same thing happens and it goes out and comes back on, but on my desktop it shows an error of "HD Content Proection of your display has been compromised, use the component cable ...". Which I tried but it doesn't give out a 1080p signal and instead it gives a 480i signal. Any help would be much appreciated. I tried the troubleshooting of the HD PVR 2 support page which states, I should change the resolution on the set top box. That didn't help either as you can see in the second picture I have posted. The thing is I am under the impression that there is some sort of restriction Shaw has put so it can not be used this way. I can not even access the advanced settings by turning the motorola set top box off and press the menu button. It only gives me the option to change resolution from the front panel display of the motorola and nothing appears on the TV.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Is it worthless to continue hoping for a linux driver?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by havikk View Post
    Is it worthless to continue hoping for a linux driver?
    Yes there hope see sneak peak screen below and for Colossus/Colossus 2 as well but there not ready as for win that I don't know
    Click image for larger version

Name:	here_sneak_peak.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	27170
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Any updates, SHS?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Just got this last week (the 1512)...managed to get it to capture via rcTVCap, which worked fantastically on the original HDPVR, but still have a few questions:
    1. On the HDPVR with rcTVCap, there were filter profiles you could use to set bitrate, etc. These do not appear to work with the HDPVR2. How does one set the bitrate with rcTVCap? I assume the settings inside the Hauppauge capture will not carryover to rcTVCap.
    2. Has anyone had issues with the device randomly going undetected? Seems like the only solution Ive found is to unplug and plug it back in.
    3. For those that had the original HDPVR, do you feel there is a noticeable improvement in performance/quality/etc from the HDPVR to the HDPVR2? I had very little trouble at all when capturing via component/optical on the original, and Im wondering if Im creating a lot of headaches for a minor bump in picture quality and the reduction of a few cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you have to re-write it with update code for it to work with newer HD-PVR 2
    Quote Quote  
  21. ^Thanks, yeah, it does appear that there are some tags in that XML file that are device specific...but Im not really sure how to get that corrected for use with the new HDPVR2. I think the XML profile was provided with the rcTVCap download, and Ive not found any specific documentation on setting it up for the HDPVR2.
    Quote Quote  
  22. So I got rcTVCap working theoretically...figured out the issue with the FilterProfiles was that the bitrate listed in the file were too high for the HDPVR2. So, it captures, but seems like I have to pull the power on the PVR everytime I want to capture (even if its back to back recordings). It also doesnt seem to actually stop capturing when rcTVCap stops (the light indicating its capturing stays on). Also, it scrubs terribly...my caps from the original HDPVR were easy to navigate in VideoRedo, but these are somewhat tedious.

Is this pretty standard for this device? Has anyone had success getting rcTVCap to work with this as well as it did with the original HDPVR?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's something I did not know from the FAQ:

"What resolutions and bit rates are supported using the HD PVR 2?
    Video record resolutions are 1080p30, 720p60, 540p60, 480p60 and a number of downscale variants of these formats.
    You can record at datarates from 1Mbs to 13.5Mbs. If you choose Variable, the maximum recording datarate is about 1.5 times the selected rate. As an example, if you have Variable selected and set the Quality to 14Mbits/sec, the maximum rate will be about 21 Mbits/sec."

So, is it better to record in VBR instead of CBR?

Also, the PVR Rocket can record at 18 Mbps. Guess Hauppage needs an update to their line...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    Here's something I did not know from the FAQ:

"What resolutions and bit rates are supported using the HD PVR 2?
    Video record resolutions are 1080p30, 720p60, 540p60, 480p60 and a number of downscale variants of these formats.
    You can record at datarates from 1Mbs to 13.5Mbs. If you choose Variable, the maximum recording datarate is about 1.5 times the selected rate. As an example, if you have Variable selected and set the Quality to 14Mbits/sec, the maximum rate will be about 21 Mbits/sec."

So, is it better to record in VBR instead of CBR?

Also, the PVR Rocket can record at 18 Mbps. Guess Hauppage needs an update to their line...
    VBR is better if you want smaller capture files.

I would still choose the HD-PVR 2 over the PVR Rocket for recording TV, because I prefer to record interlaced video as interlaced. The PVR Rocket bob de-interlaces all interlaced video input during capture, and captures 1080i29.97 as 1080p29.97, loosing half the temporal resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  25. In my recordings I never reached 21 Mbit/s with HD PVR 2, the highest peak I've seen in bitrate viewer was around 16. Probably depends on the content and particular scene. Also, VBR mode in PVR 2 is similar to x264's ABR (average bitrate). It will vary a little but will eventually use in average what you specified for bitrate so in longer recordings difference in file size will not be that much compared to CBR. The difference will be some occasional spikes but the filesize is very similar.

Also, encoder in HD PVR 2 is better and more efficient encoder than Rocket (High vs Baseline profile) so it's not everything in bigger numbers. Hell my old camera records at 24 Mbit/s but it's also very basic Baseline profile encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Have you tried the free capture tool from Hauppauge.
    Download link:http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by badyu17 View Post
    Also, encoder in HD PVR 2 is better and more efficient encoder than Rocket (High vs Baseline profile) so it's not everything in bigger numbers. Hell my old camera records at 24 Mbit/s but it's also very basic Baseline profile encoder.
    What is the difference between Baseline & High profiles? Also, How is the High profile better than the Main profile.
    I read somewhere that using Main instead of High might fix some of the issues.
    Thanks.

Nevermind, I found a brief explanation of profiles here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368863-Normal-vs-Universal-vs-High-Profile?p=236153...=1#post2361539

Any thoughts on using 'Main' instead of 'High' when using the HDPVR 2?
    Last edited by mocarob; 12th Jun 2015 at 23:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or better put it
    High Profile — Best for big screens with a good decoder
    Main — Good for more modern smartphones and tablets
    Baseline — Compatible with most smartphones and tablets, including older mobiles
    Quote Quote  
  29. Profiles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles
    Levels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Levels

But keep in mind that at the container level anybody or any program can label the video with whatever profile and level they want. So the indicated profile/level may not indicate the true properties of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Anyone else still having massive MASSIVE problems with this? I tried to capture some things from my roku and it's an absolute mess. I'm getting about 20 errors a film. It's about 1 error every ten minutes. Just AWFUL.
    Quote Quote