VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LightWeightProducer View Post
    The arcsoft capture module can be run independantly of the main software [command line - capturemodule.exe -startr2:"name.ts" -limit:1800 -vinput:1 -cbr:1 -vbaver:8000 -aoutfmt:1 -abindex:512 -folder:"c:\recordings" ]. '1800' = capture time in minutes. The process can be killed to end the capture if operation via a script is desired.
    There almost certainly is, as I found out in my post about the software when bundled with Avermedia hardware. Set up a scheduled recording and then once it has started peek at the command line using task manager [win7] or 3rd party tools.

I thought I saw that somewhere but when you read so much stuff in a short time it's easy to forget or accidentally skip important posts.

Thanks this information will prove very useful.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the PVR-2 connected with a HDMI splitter and audio thru the optical input. It detects and captures nicely. The problem I just ran into is that one of the programs I want to capture has a lead-in with 2.0 sound, then at the intro it switches to DD 5.1 . It looks like the PVR-2 locks into the 2 channel sound when I hit the capture button and does not switch when the 5.1 becomes active.
    Is there a setting somewhere to allow it to dynamically handle the different audio?

I am also having problems creating AVCHD or Blu Ray disks that play, but I'll save that for another time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AC3 format-switching is a general problem of broadcasts, not specific to Hauppuage. Are you sure the actual recorded stream isn't fine? What are you using for playback?

I can't suggest a software that actually handles the transition, but I know there are cutters that search for audio format transitions as a basis of finding a commercial vs the show.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I discovered that I can play the .ts files on my WDTV. The optical audio out goes to my receiver and it will display the format of the signal. I've only had the PVR 2 a few weeks and time to experiemnt has been limited. I know it's not quite ready for prime time, but there should be driver updates to handle these problems.
    I have no idea what it does if you start recording in AC3 and the program changes to 2 channel stereo, then back again. I will have to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JoeS99 View Post
    Well, I discovered that I can play the .ts files on my WDTV... there should be driver updates to handle these problems.
    If the WDTV can play the audio it's not a driver problem. It's a problem with the player you're using on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the WDTV plays the file, and my receiver shows it to be 2 channel even though the source was AC3 except for the beginning minute or two. I have captured video with 5.1 DD and played it back on the WDTV.
    The problem is the PVR-2 uses the audio mode at the moment you press the "capture" button.

I have not tried the stand alone capture program from Hauppauge yet.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to experiment a little. I started capturing a HD/5.1 source. After a minute or so, a commercial came on and it was 2 channel audio. After a couple commercials like that the 5.1 program was back and I captured another minute or so before I stopped.

I copied the file to a flash disk and viewed it on my WDTV. The audio switched from 5.1 to 2 ch and back as it should have.
    If I start the capture when 2 channel audio is playing, the Hauppauge does not switch to 5.1 when the source does.

I wonder if the problems some folks are having trouble with 5.1 sound are due to this "feature".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by JoeS99 View Post
    No, the WDTV plays the file, and my receiver shows it to be 2 channel even though the source was AC3 except for the beginning minute or two.
    I see. Can't help you there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, after some trial and error I determined that it IS the WDTV that is deciding what format the audio is in based on the first few frames. If I want my .ts file to play with 5.1 audio, I must have 5.1 audio at the start of the capture. I now have VideoRedo, so I can edit the files to suit my needs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you guys notice the new capture app on the Hauppauge site. Based on the posted file date it's been out since May 24 2013. There is a full download which contains all the usual apps and another for just the capture app and the beta drivers.

Hauppauge Capture and Beta driver:

http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/

HD PVR 2 Installation CD
    Windows Driver, Showbiz and Hauppauge Capture applications with StreamEez and Personal Logos
    :

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr2.html (click on the beta tab)

You can now disable video preview completely or just view I frames but the setting applies during normal pre-capture preview and not just during capture. You can also do voice over mic capture. It kind of puts everything under one roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap_app1.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	18433

I had hoped it would do 1080p 60fps based on the red circled in the pic below but I did a quick test and the file came out at 29.97fps. (the pic above is a 1080i tv source and not used for the 1080p 60fps test)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap_app2.jpg
Views:	1757
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	18434
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, I saw that app when I was playing with an HD PVR 2. And you are correct, it can't capture 1080p60 as 1080p60, it captures it as 1080p30. And although it can downscale 1080p to 720p, it does so after decimating. So you can't get 720p60 recordings from a 1080p60 input. That's what I was hoping for. Hauppuage support even told me it could do that before I got the device. But after I got it they admitted it couldn't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sheesh. i just want a simple capture app with preview, that's all. no suites. as bare bones as possible. can't find anything that simple, yet. still using graphedit as nursing app. till then..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have tried the new Capture App, it works OK, needs some tweaking to get it right. I think it doesn't show the status of the audio (2.0 or 5.1) while it's active.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a capture file (ts) of an hour long program. Windows 7 explorer identifies it as being 18 minutes long. I noticed this right after I finished the capture and even re-did the capture the next day with the same results. The source was the Motorola cable DVR.
    I'm not sure if the file plays correctly all the way through but the time indicator is screwed up and never goes above 18 minutes.

I recently purchased Video Redo and when I load the file and try to move the slider further into the program, it alerts me to a seek error and suggests using the Quickstream Fix. I tried that and it's taking a really long time- I let it run overnight and stopped it after about 15 hours because I thought it was hung up. The repaired output file was about 40 minutes long and played fine with media player.

I restarted the Quickstream Fix this afternoon and plan to let it finish, however long it takes.
    I guess it's repairing things frame by frame, just wondering if this is normal for these ts files.
    Quote Quote  
  15. A QSF should only really take as long as it takes to parse the entire file twice, ie you copied it around twice you have a good idea of how long it should take. It's possible the recording is extremely broken or you have found a bug in VRD. Join videoredo's support forum and post about it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How are the Video Encoder settings for Hauppauge Capture? I think Showbiz only allows highest bitrate of 14Mbps, and I've noticed that it gives me some mosquito noise in my captures.

Edit: Actually, is the 14Mbps bitrate cap because of the PVR and firmware itself rather than the software?
    Last edited by ChibiBoi; 24th Jun 2013 at 17:30.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A QSF should only really take as long as it takes to parse the entire file twice, ie you copied it around twice you have a good idea of how long it should take. It's possible the recording is extremely broken or you have found a bug in VRD. Join videoredo's support forum and post about it.

I let it run for over 24 hours- the output file remained the same size, so I aborted it. The output file ended at 41 minutes, so I looked at the source file and there's a "glitch" at that point where the picture "jumps" - lost some frames.
    This was a momentary outage during the cable broadcast and was on the cable DVR when it was recorded.

Well, this shows how sensitive the process is. I'm not sure if this can be fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChibiBoi View Post
    How are the Video Encoder settings for Hauppauge Capture? I think Showbiz only allows highest bitrate of 14Mbps, and I've noticed that it gives me some mosquito noise in my captures.

Edit: Actually, is the 14Mbps bitrate cap because of the PVR and firmware itself rather than the software?
    I'm still on the learning curve with this thing- I've been using 9.5 Mbps. Not sure what the PVR hardware/firmware limits are.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ..And although it can downscale 1080p to 720p, it does so after decimating.
    but 1080p should be the same as 720p, telecine wise. just different "width" resolution. and the downscale should only be the change in pixel width dimension. the exception would be as you noted, that it decimates 1080p down to 1080i, or, given the original (frame-based @ 60fps) the 3:2 telecine cadense pattern PDPDDPDPDD for 720p (and 1080p) would change (or, downconvert) to the (field-based @ 30fps) 3:2 telecine cadense pattern PPPii for the 1080i source.

..And you are correct, it can't capture 1080p60 as 1080p60, it captures it as 1080p30. And although it can downscale 1080p to 720p, it does so after decimating. So you can't get 720p60 recordings from a 1080p60 input. That's what I was hoping for. Hauppuage support even told me it could do that before I got the device. But after I got it they admitted it couldn't.
    i'm leaning toward the conclusion that the hdpvr is just a (for lack of better term) transparent capturer. that is, it captures *only* the source resolution, thus, 1080 / 1080, 720/720, and 480/480, and the "upgrades" in features are all real-time sofware conversions, because the data rate is so low or low enough for these types of features to be done in real-time during live capturing, like the one everyone seems to be looking for in this topic, conversion without decimation, or worse, distortion/artifacts.

i don't know of anything, content-wise, that is broadcasted or bluray public releasable that is 1080p. i always assumed the content was 1080i and the usual 3:2 telecine cadense of PPPii. i would assume 1080p is the same as 720p, only the pixel demension difference. the telecine (for 1080p) would still be the same as it is for the 720p sources. but, assuming there is 1080p public releaseble blurays, then i would guess it does in fact contain the 3:2 telecine cadense pattern PDPDDPDPDD, progressively, just as the 720p does.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    ..And although it can downscale 1080p to 720p, it does so after decimating.
    but 1080p should be the same as 720p, telecine wise. just different "width" resolution. and the downscale should only be the change in pixel width dimension.
    The problem is that the 1080p60 source is decimated to 1080p30 or 720p30 by discarding every other frame. That leaves film based material with a duplicate frame every 5th frame. It wouldn't mind if it simply resized 1080p60 to 720p60. I would accept the loss of resolution in my recordings. But I find the jerky p30 decimation unwatchable, much worse than the judder or 3:2 pulldown of 30i, or 3:2 frame repeats of 60p. Sample (from the HD PVR 2, trimmed and remuxed with AviDemux) attached.

Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i'm leaning toward the conclusion that the hdpvr is just a (for lack of better term) transparent capturer. that is, it captures *only* the source resolution, thus, 1080 / 1080, 720/720, and 480/480, and the "upgrades" in features are all real-time software conversions
    No, the scaling is done on the device before it's sent to the computer via USB.

i don't know of anything, content-wise, that is broadcasted or bluray public releasable that is 1080p. i always assumed the content was 1080i and the usual 3:2 telecine cadense of PPPii.
    But many devices output 1080p60, even if the source is something else. Games can be rendered 1080p60. I don't want to change my HTPC to output 1080i30 or 720p60.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Jun 2013 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had another glitch in my cable/dvr in the middle of a program I was capturing with my PVR-2. I noticed that part of the picture pixelated for a second about 28 minutes into a 60 minute show. When I was done, the file showed as being 32 minutes long. It looks like the elapsed time from the glitch to the end of the recording shows up as the playing time of the file. I tried Video Redo QSF and it hung at that 28 minute mark.

I know cable reception can't always be perfect, and I'm probably lucky that mine is as good as it is, but any disruption in the signal really throws the PVR-2 a curve.

Any suggestions as to splitting/recovering the file so I can edit it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    shame about that. i have a lot of "glitches" too. mostly when the satalite in my living room corner falls off the mark and the signal strength goes down a little, or when a heavy cloud from a storm is passing, the picture will glitch/pixelate, thanks to digital for that. but i don't seem to have that problem in my pvr 1212 captures. i mostly capture half hour shows. but, i wonder if a different driver version might help. i'm only guessing though mainly because i don't see that problem in my glitches like in yesterdays passing storm.

maybe the usual apps you use don't handle the "glitch" source well and giving you inacurate times.

did you try tsdoctor ?

have you tried demuxing out its raw video ? and feeding that into your apps ?

or, demuxing and repackaging it in another .ts or .mkv or .m2ts container ?
    don't try one and assume they all won't work..try different demuxer tools because they all don't do the exact repacking.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe the usual apps you use don't handle the "glitch" source well and giving you inacurate times.

did you try tsdoctor ?

have you tried demuxing out its raw video ? and feeding that into your apps ?

or, demuxing and repackaging it in another .ts or .mkv or .m2ts container ?
    don't try one and assume they all won't work..try different demuxer tools because they all don't do the exact repacking.
    I guess the analog route (component video) is a less bumpy road.

I have yet to try some of these other other methods, but with a possible audio/video sync problem present in "good" files, any remuxing would bring it out.

I have maybe 40 hours of ts files captured with the PVR-2, two of them (one hour programs) have a glitch which screws up the time info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't have HD sources, my satellite is SD only. actually, i am capturing from the component connections, gives a slightly better picture qualty than the svideo route in my setup:

dvr->vcr->[svideo]toshiba dr430[component]->hdpvr->.ts file.

i did it this way at first because i thought the dr430 upsampled to hd 720 or 1080 but it doesn't work, so pkging is wrong. says upsampler to 1080. anyway, doesn't matter..i'm fine with what i have now, 480i.

can you describe the glitch, how does it screw up the times ? do you mean, 01:02:10.00 shows up as 00:28:00.00 ?
    (hh : mm : ss : ms)

what are the tool(s) that produce it ? and do they all produce the exact same "digtial" error ? or does the time error vary from tool to tool for a given video ?

i want to see if i can reproduce the symtom on my end, since my satellite dish is in my living room, i can push it off the marks (on the wall) to simulate the glitch. i can do a one hour capture and glitch it at the 28min (or other) mark, give or take, to check if my pvr-1 suffers the same symtom.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

can you describe the glitch, how does it screw up the times ? do you mean, 01:02:10.00 shows up as 00:28:00.00 ?
    (hh : mm : ss : ms)

what are the tool(s) that produce it ? and do they all produce the exact same "digtial" error ? or does the time error vary from tool to tool for a given video ?

i want to see if i can reproduce the symtom on my end, since my satellite dish is in my living room, i can push it off the marks (on the wall) to simulate the glitch. i can do a one hour capture and glitch it at the 28min (or other) mark, give or take, to check if my pvr-1 suffers the same symtom.
    By "glitch" I mean the video went bad for a second- the scene had a person sitting in a chair, a view from the chest up. For an instant the person's face pixilated, turned white and then went back to normal (mpeg effects). I was capturing to a .ts file. When I was done, the file was a proper size (~4.2 G) but Windows 7 Explorer indicates that it is 28 minutes long, not 60. If I play it in Windows Media Player or move the slider, the time goes from 0:00 to 28:11 (whatever) at the end. VLC media player always indicates 0:00 when I play it. Now, I haven't had time to play back the whole program in real time. I've been saving files to a portable USB Hard Drive and use a WDTV media player to play them on my TV and sound system. I think the WDTV plays it OK because it uses the time codes for the frames, but it doesn't work normally if I try to fast forward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i did some playing around yesterday. between the rain, i had no reason to purposely induce recording glitches.

all the videos i manged to capture showed the proper timimgs in varous players. i also used medial player classic..the one that shows the bar graph when you first load it up.

i'm under windows xp, so the duration only works for avi files, not .ts files. i suspect is a windows 7 problem, where it is probably using general (quick) method of determining times (duration) in videos so that it can display the info in the directory listing quickly. after all, the hdpvr-1/2 are analog capture devices, not atsc recording devices. atsc recording would give this or similar type of problem, i would think.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i did some playing around yesterday. between the rain, i had no reason to purposely induce recording glitches.

all the videos i manged to capture showed the proper timimgs in varous players. i also used medial player classic..the one that shows the bar graph when you first load it up.

i'm under windows xp, so the duration only works for avi files, not .ts files. i suspect is a windows 7 problem, where it is probably using general (quick) method of determining times (duration) in videos so that it can display the info in the directory listing quickly. after all, the hdpvr-1/2 are analog capture devices, not atsc recording devices. atsc recording would give this or similar type of problem, i would think.
    The timing display problem also makes the Video Redo editor malfunction. I just captured last night's episode of (fill in the blank) and there was a slight pixellation at around 22 minutes. I didn't notice it during playback, but the completed capture file shows it being 36 minutes- it was actually 58 minutes. I loaded it into Video Redo and trimmed off some stuff at the start. When I went to save the result, it went normally for a bit, then hung up at the point where the glitch was. I had to abort it.

I'm not happy with the way it handles these glitches. These PVRs were originally intended for game capture. Not being a gamer, the idea seems bizarre to me. I want to use it for TV!

Anyway, I guess I should report this to Hauppauge, I get the feeling that they'll ignore me.
    If I have time I should join the Hauppauge Support Forum that's based in the UK. There doesn't seem to be one for the US.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you using USB 3.0 port you may run in to some problem you try out this set of driver here ftp://ftp.hauppauge.com/Support/HDPVR2/HDPVR2_Driver_1_4_31143.exe
    Note for the late Hauppauge Capture Tool keep eye on there face book page and I should point out that it dosen't support AC3 you have use Showbiz or WinTV 7
    Any here a tip for all if your doing any PC Gaming Recording
    http://www.shspvr.com/howto/spdif-optical/spdif.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i can't believe that you are the only one suffering this issue. yours is the first so far.

but, have you tried smartcutter yet ? it receives good reviews. the trail version puts a watermark at the front, first few frames or so. at least test it to see if the video cuts and then displays the time info. i just fed it my hdpvr-1 corrept video from yesterday and it ran through it fine. new and original video process fine through smartcutter.

edit: re smartcutter. its a lazy tool. you have load the given file. you can't drag-n drop--can't believe it lacks this needed feature in this tool for loading .ts files. anyway. click on the pink [Open] button to load the .ts file.

edit: another tool suggestion, download DGAVCindex and run the file through it. see if it previews through the whole video. you can also demux the complete video out, .264 i think is the ext. however, don't attempt to pan left or right, it will crash. nothing like's these hdpvr-1/2 .ts files, then choke, always. the exception is when you don't have a preview. anyway, just feed it through and let the software take over.
    Last edited by vhelp; 28th Jun 2013 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    If you using USB 3.0 port you may run in to some problem you try out this set of driver here ftp://ftp.hauppauge.com/Support/HDPVR2/HDPVR2_Driver_1_4_31143.exe
    Note for the late Hauppauge Capture Tool keep eye on there face book page and I should point out that it dosen't support AC3 you have use Showbiz or WinTV 7
    Any here a tip for all if your doing any PC Gaming Recording
    http://www.shspvr.com/howto/spdif-optical/spdif.html
    I can't speak for component input but I was only getting aac audio at first with the capture program over HDMI when I only installed that new driver with the capture app. It was ignoring my settings. I had to install the full bundle containing Showbiz, WinTV7 etc... on the "Beta" page I referenced in my earlier post (#70) which includes the 1.4.31143 driver as above (you have to open the beta tab in the link I provided to see it). After that under "Advanced" and "Audio Encoder" uncheck "disable HDMI ac3 support" in the capture app. Then close it and open Showbiz and make sure it is unchecked there too. Then reopen the capture app and now it should cap ac3 over hdmi. I unplugged the pvr2 after doing this and rebooted the PC and it works.

What's missing in the capture app is the feature to stop the cap after a set time like there is in Showbiz.
    Last edited by gll99; 29th Jun 2013 at 05:34.
    Quote Quote