VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

One of these days, by pure chance, I noticed that one file that I copied to my Seagate Expansion 500GB USB 3.0 was corrupted. I compared it to the version in my hard disk and they had different SHA1 checksums.

Then I made an overall comparison of all files in the drive (I use it for backup) and found other files with errors. As far as I know it only happens with large files (> 1GB) since all small files were OK. Even today, I copied an iso with 1.29GB to the drive and then compared the SHA1 checksums only to find they were different once more. I copied the file again and then it was fine.

Has anyone had this kind of issue? Thanks.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Probably there is a firmware OR hardware bug in the USB-adapter. So far I had read only about a similar design flaw in certain cheapo USB-to-IDE/SATA adapters, and the fix was remove a pesky misplaced resistor --- but maybe your problem is not that easy.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 24th Feb 2013 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use one of the USB ports on the back of the PC or use a different port. Get a better quality USB cable; shorter is better. The front USB ports add an extra length to the cable and often uses ribbon cable which is less resistant to EMI.

If this is a portable drive with a laptop drive (2.5") in it, make sure to use a USB Y cable; the extra power makes the data transfer more stable. The larger drives (with 3.5" HDD) that use a power brick are better for backing up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answers.

I'm using a port on the back of the computer and a fairly short USB cable. About The USB Y cable, I'm gonna buy one and try it out.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote