VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. .

Greetings, VH Community.

May I ask you who have tried out those converters mentioned in the first post of the Sticky:

Which of those could convert a video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC) in an mkv container, and hardsubbing the subtitle (.ASS) residing in the file without messing the style of the substitle? I want to watch those videos off a flashdrive on a DivX player (.AVI), meaning the ones like Handbrake are out of question.

Below are what I've tried so far:

-AVS Video Converter 6.3
    (Really slow, produce white texts only, line placement kept intact except styling is forced to a simple one—no complicated subs)

-Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate 4.2
    (Quite fast, supports coloured texts, styling varies but original styling is lost which includes the line placement)

-Freemake Video Converter 3.2
    (Similar to AVS but at least not as slow) {The developers are currently considering to keep the styling intact}

*Video to Video Converter 2.9
    (Does not support "hidden" softsub; same thing with Xilisoft's)

I tried downloading Format Factory countless times, but my Anti-Virus (ESET) keep warning it as a potentially harmful object. A user told me that it does not change the style of the original softsub. Is that true?

I also tried the other approach: extracting the text file and then hardsubbing it manually. The problem: I'll have to convert the subtitle file into .SRT i.e. losing style. Not to mention how time-consuming it would be when dealing with tons of video files.

Regards,
    Kazuyuki.
    負けるわけにはいかない!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The best method is to use avisynth with the vsfilter plugin.

See http://forum.aegisub.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2468 . And instead of using megui can you try open the avisynth avs file with for example xvid4psp 5 and use avi xvid dvd player preset.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I see. I was also curious about this approach but creating the script for each file seemed to be a daunting task.
    Well, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you for the links.

Regards,
    Kazuyuki.
    Quote Quote