VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Last week i ripped my Blu Ray Film to BD25 using DVDFAB 9 . Overall it went well however it took 8 hours to complete!
    This week i decided to try the DB rebuilder method from this forum.

Straight away i got the same error as last week when trying to open blu ray ...Sorry, but trial versions are not allowed to use the update server!

The AnyDVDHD trial is intended for functionality testing only and,
    for business reasons, updates for processing some new discs are not available.
    ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

It seems ANYDVD HD does not like to open most of my blu rays ? Why?

Instead i downloaded and installed DVD FAB PASSKEY for encyption.

This seemed to work so i opened BD Rebuilder and i am now backing up to BD 25 however it is going very slowly again!
    1.32% complete with 25 minutes gone!!!
    Last edited by chris_2012; 22nd Feb 2013 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The trial version of AnyDVD HD will not let you contact the server necessary to access keys for decrypting movies that aren't already contained in the internal local database. This is an intentional limitation of the trial version. You are dealing with movies that require access to the Slysoft servers be it for AACS decryption or BD+ removal. If you purchase the software then you won't run into the problem.

If DVDFab took forever to compress to a BD-25 backup then BD Rebuilder is going to take longer. DVDFab doesn't produce the best quality output regardless of the setting you use when compared to BD Rebuilder. BD Rebuilder is simply the better choice if you want a good quality compressed backup.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    BD Rebuilder will take longer ? WOW i did not think that was possible, lol.
    I didn't think the quality of DVDFAB was too bad, considering it compressed a 50 GB blu ray movie to a 25GB movie it was quite good.

Just wondering about purchasing ANY DVD HD however i noticed slysoft do not sell a Blu Ray ripper. Very disappointing! Why would slysoft sell ANY DVD HD but not a Blu ray ripper to go with it ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by chris_2012 View Post
    BD Rebuilder will take longer ? WOW i did not think that was possible, lol.
    I didn't think the quality of DVDFAB was too bad, considering it compressed a 50 GB blu ray movie to a 25GB movie it was quite good.
    DVDFab makes some odd choices with the settings when it does the encoding during the reduction. Those choices may speed up the process but the result is a loss in quality. DVDFab also has a number of ways to speed up the process via hardware acceleration. The encoding time is dependent on the hardware being used with or without hardware acceleration.

If you are happy with the quality of DVDFab then that's what really matters but DVDFab isn't free when it comes to re-encoding to BD-25 once the trial expires. BD Rebuilder is completely free, period.

Originally Posted by chris_2012 View Post
    Just wondering about purchasing ANY DVD HD however i noticed slysoft do not sell a Blu Ray ripper. Very disappointing! Why would slysoft sell ANY DVD HD but not a Blu ray ripper to go with it ?
    Slysoft is working on a product they have apparently named "Slyce". This will be a product for backing up and removing unnecessary content from Blu-ray backups as well as allowing the output to be re-encoded so that it fits on BD-25 blank. Its release is supposed to occur in the next few months from what's been said but they're pretty tight-lipped. It's been a long development process.

To answer the question about why Slysoft sells AnyDVD HD without a ripper for Blu-ray the anwer is simple. In order to even get to the point that a ripper would be of any use someone had to get around protections found on Blu-ray discs. Slysoft did that and then they then started working on "Slyce". It's been a long road. So, it's not as though they made some crazy choice to not sell a ripper. They simply didn't develop it until after they handled the matter of protections.

On another note, while the trial limitations of AnyDVD HD and DVDFab Passkey are not the same they do both require access to servers from the respective companies when it comes to dealing with certain protections on certain discs (ie BD+).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Never mind. Hemlok beat me to it!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Slysoft does too sell a ripper. It's called - tah dah! - AnyDVD HD.

The problem is that YOU and MANY other people have redefined what "ripper" means. Under YOUR new definition, which we here do NOT accept or agree with, you are correct.

Ripping means the act of copying and decrypting (if necessary) the contents of a CD, DVD or BD disc to a hard drive. That is it. AnyDVD HD, a Slysoft product, does that right now.

Unfortunately, DVDFab and the usual parade of hipster doofuses who think because they can use Handbrake that they have "mad skillz in video - yo yo", have redefined "rip" to mean "the act of copying and decrypting the contents of a CD, DVD or BD disc to a hard drive AND converting it to another format". That use of "AND" that I put in all caps is critical. What it is done by extending the definition is led to a situation where now most people believe that rip means only the part after the "AND" in what I said - that is, just the conversion part. You are one of those people, although I make no decision on you being a "hipster doofus". You are simply inexperienced and repeating what you have heard. But people who do know better and should not use this term incorrectly do so anyway deliberately.

Who knows whether Slysoft's eventual conversion product will be any good or not? Just try BDRB and see what you think. How long it takes for you depends on how powerful your PC is and how much it has to compress. Worst case for me (I have a 6 core AMD CPU) is it takes 3 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

AnyDVD HAS a Blu Ray ripper. Of course they have. Otherwise the AnyDVD HD would be useless.
    You just use the same as you would use to rip DVD's. "AnyDVD Ripper". And the program working in the background to make it possible, changes the name from AnyDVD to AnyDVD HD when you insert a Blu Ray disc in your computer.

It's as simple as that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info Hemlock .
    ANY DVD HD is not free either, so i would still need to pay for it to be used in conjunction with BD rebuilder and since there is still no blu ray ripper from slysoft there is no real point in me purchasing it ANY DVD HD.
    I'm probably better purchasing DVDFAB for now because i can rip a blu ray easily all in one go.
    Like i said earlier the quality was OK with DVDFAB, can't see DVD Rebuilder being much better because it too is compressing to a BD 25 . Surely there's only so much quality you can get with a BD25 ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @chris_2012.

Seems that you are looking for a program that ripps AND compress the blu-ray. anyDVD HD is only ripping the Blu Ray to the hard drive.
    Why not try Blue Cloner? (http://www.blue-cloner.com/)
    It will do both ripping AND compressing (to BD-25 amongst other choice).
    Last edited by brusno; 23rd Feb 2013 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by chris_2012 View Post
    Thanks for the info Hemlock .
    ANY DVD HD is not free either, so i would still need to pay for it to be used in conjunction with BD rebuilder and since there is still no blu ray ripper from slysoft there is no real point in me purchasing it ANY DVD HD.
    I'm probably better purchasing DVDFAB for now because i can rip a blu ray easily all in one go.
    Correct. You'd have to pay for AnyDVD to use it with BD Rebuilder. My essential point was that either you pay for DVDFab or you pay for AnyDVD. Neither is free. The AnyDVD with BD Rebuilder route is the one that is the better quality solution but as I've previously noted it really comes down to your opinion and needs. If you're happy then DVDFab might be enough and you can just use one software program. Personally, I'm not a fan of DVDFab.

When "Slyce" is released by Slysoft it won't do any protection removal for AACS, BD+, etc, so people will still need to have AnyDVD to remove the protections. At a later time when Slysoft manages to find a solution for Cinavia it will be implemented within "Slyce" rather than AnyDVD due to the nature of Cinavia and how it works.

Like i said earlier the quality was OK with DVDFAB, can't see DVD Rebuilder being much better because it too is compressing to a BD 25 . Surely there's only so much quality you can get with a BD25 ?
    Opinions on quality can be subjective. Some people notice degradation of quality more than others and it depends on the quality of the original disc, the original size, how much you need to shrink the content to fit, etc. BD Rebuilder tends to tweak the x264 encoding settings far better and jdobbs focuses on quality. My personal opinion is that DVDFab focuses more on speed and quality isn't as important. Regardless, if you are happy with DVDFab then you are happy.
    Last edited by HemLok; 22nd Feb 2013 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Not heard anyone mention blue-cloner in this forum brusno.

Thanks for info Hemlok.
    If DVDFAB takes 7 hours to rip and compress to a 25BD file then i dread to think how long BD Rebuilder & ANYDVD HD would take ??
    This just seems like another reason for me to stick with FAB.
    Quote Quote  
  12. chris, what are the specs on your computer?
    If you are going to use dvdfab, set it to copy entire disc to hard drive.
    Then with either dvdfab or another prog., open it on hard drive and re-encode to BD 25.

The reason I mention copying entire disc with dvdfab, it usually takes 30 minutes or less for me to copy an entire BD.
    If your computer has good specs, it should take ~2 hours to re-encode BD25.
    This is what I do, copy to hard drive then thread off movie-only to external hard drive, then hook to media player.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Steve , My computer is not that good but should be able to do the Job, DUAL CORE INTEL PENTIUM 4300 - 4GB RAM .
    When i first copied a blu ray last week the reason i set it to BD25 was because i thought it would be much quicker than copying it to BD50.....Little did i know!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    @ Steve . What program do you use to copy to BD50 on your hard drive ?
    Can ANY DVD HD be used to do this ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, AnyDVD will copy it to hard drive.
    I use dvdfab to copy disc to hard drive.

If you have a laptop with that processor, it will take a long time to re-encode to BD 25.
    Really you will need to get a more powerful computer to do much work to a BD.

But you should be able to copy disc ok, it looks like you would be better served by
    my suggestion in other post.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BD Rebuilder can do its job in an hour, or less, with the fast settings and a Sandy Bridge computer. Off course you run the risk of readability but, more often then not, it's OK. I cannot see running my machine over night, or long hours as some others choose to do.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, I agree, I don't do much encoding anymore...I dump off video on ext. hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. BDRB should be able to do the job overnight on a dual-core. Use Good (Very Fast) or High Speed Option (BD25) encoder setting.

The result will be noticeably better than with DVDFab.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  19. DVDfab is horrible...
    the following methods are most common and are known to work well depending if u want compression or not, do note that compression takes LONGER!!:

Without compression: (considering u are trying to fit a DL BD-R 50BG to a SL BD-R 25GB...strips menus and unneeded language and "extras")
    Step1) AnyDVD HD
    Step2) Clown_BD / tsmuxer
    Step3) Imgburn

With compression: (best results for movie only would be a BD-R single layer blank disk)
    Step1 ) AnyDVD HD
    Step2) BD rebuilder
    Step3) Imgburn
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I know I'm late to this party, but for simplicities sake, and for future reference, may I report the following:

After I struggled with DVDFab and Blue-Cloner (which by the way is definitely NOT ready for prime time as of this writing), I discovered (with the help of several of the good people here at VideoHelp) a quite easy, fast, and free way to back up your purchased Blu-rays to BD25's. Simple as:

1. Use MakeMKV to rip/decrypt to m2ts files (30-45 minutes)
    2. Use BDRebuilder to shrink the files MakeMKV created to a smaller size, using the "High Speed Option (BD25)" (another 30-45 minutes)
    3. Use Imgburn to burn what BDRebuilder created to your blank BD25. (actually there is a check box in BdRebuilder that'll automatically starts ImgBurn 'aburnin'. (another 30 minutes)

That sure beats the 8-16 hour processing when choosing the "High Quality" or "Highest" option under "Encoder Settings", and I cannot tell any difference in quality when using the "High Speed Option (BD-25+)," as opposed to the "High Quality" or "Highest" options. Of course, you have to choose "Target Size BD-25" under "Output Options" for the "High Speed Option (B-25+)" to appear under "Encoder Settings"

And you'll need to download some other programs that BdRebuilder uses, but that's a cinch using the instructions here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

I'm so happy to finally have something simple and reliable and free to use that I may just do a jig and post it to YouTube.
    Last edited by LloydS; 11th Apr 2014 at 02:07. Reason: poor wording on my part in my initial post
    Quote Quote