VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    My best man video recorded who whole wedding say as our gift but the battery died twice during recording and it it corrupt about 60% of the files. It was recorded on a 32GB SD card, Class 4, in a Sony camcorder.

The new wife and I were looking forward to watching the day back with the family, and having recently found out that this is a know and common issue we're gutted.

Please can one ony help or recommend anything?

Many hanks,

Martin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you could upload one to a file sharing site people may take a look at it and see if it's fixable. you can get 50GB free storage at mega or use another site and post the d/l link here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I've attached one of the many faulty files.

This should be a diary room style video of people leaving us a video message on our wedding day. But it may be views of the house in the morning if it's been over written.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you saying you can't play 00057.mts at all? it plays here with vlc, it's someone panning the camera around what may be a blue and white living room? it does have a couple short bad spots where the video is lost.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. yup, lav based tools like mplayer/mencoder/vlc can handle the stream, uploaded a fast recompress of the video stream of the attached file,...
    Last edited by Selur; 25th Feb 2013 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Another example.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Video 57 should be a video message from two people sitting down.
    The view of the room was filmed the following morning on the same memory card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    35 is more of the house outside and in.

looks like the memory card was scrambled. parts and pieces of video that don't really follow each other are combined. something overwrote the file allocation table on the card and now it's just a mess.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. you can use (S)MPlayer or VLC to view the clips
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Is there any way of fixing this, as the clips look correct in my video camera but are not playable.

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    35 is more of the house outside and in.

looks like the memory card was scrambled. parts and pieces of video that don't really follow each other are combined. something overwrote the file allocation table on the card and now it's just a mess.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Here is an example of the video diary start which is then over written by the next days filming.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's not going to happen by using any of the files on a pc. the only way i can think you might salvage some if they play properly in the camera then you need to capture them playing off the camera. how you do it depends on the camera and what it has for video outputs. if it has hdmi out then you need to buy a capture device that handles hdmi, etc.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it plays fine on the camera, you are very lucky. As aedipuss said, find someone with an HDMI capture card and get them to capture the output from the camera for you. Do not use the camera again until you've done this - certainly don't record anything else.

A friend videoed our wedding. It was very kind of him, and all the footage still plays, but I wish we'd paid a professional. He was like your best man: he had a tendency to wave the camera around a lot, creating footage that makes you feel seasick when you watch it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The videos don't currently play on the video camera but I can see the thumbnails of the scenes.

It's more frustraiting knowing what i'm missing out on with the thumbnails, but it was only the best man who has seen the video messages. But he had a few beers and can't remember what was said.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi MPThoma5,

Looks like your card was overwritten. In case you have a Mac computer you could try to retrieve the contents from the card using Treasured. This software is able to scan your card and show you the footage retrieved. Then you can pick the segments and put them in order to finally repair them. Is a hard road but seems no other way but the capture suggested by aedipuss is left. Best of luck!

-Fire
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing from the camera won't work if the files don't play on the camera!

There's plenty of data recovery software available for PCs too. Problem is, it looks like the video is fragmented on the card, so will be a pain to stitch back together again. Better than nothing though, and probably the best you're going to get.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I had the same problem? is it that mts is not stable? I tried VLC player but no help.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jamestty View Post
    is it that mts is not stable?
    Did you miss post #1? - the battery died and the data on the card got corrupted.

I take it your battery died too? If data being written to the card is suddenly interrupted (e.g. power failure, card removal), then you gotta expect problems - whatever format it's in.
    Last edited by mike20021969; 28th Feb 2013 at 04:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    I take it your battery died too? If data being written to the card is suddenly interrupted (e.g. power failure, card removal), then you gotta expect problems - whatever format it's in.
    It doesn't cause much of a problem with tape-based camcorders
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I had all but the first few clips of my 10th anniversary corrupted when my wife somehow turned the camera off while it was still recording. All the files seem to be there with the right size and time/datestamp but every video file after the one that was abruptly ended are not playable at all. I locked the sd card in the hopes it will one day be recoverable. It really stinks when those important video's get corrupted

It was on a "Transcend" 32gb class 10 sdhc card. Transcend is not the word that comes to mind when I think of those corrupted videos :P
    Last edited by greymalkin; 2nd Mar 2013 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would get a straight copy of the raw data on the card copied to a PC as soon as possible (using deleted/corrupted file recovery software). SD cards are not renowned for their longevity.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
    I locked the sd card in the hopes it will one day be recoverable.
    Well done greymalkin. Files could be repaired but first you should diagnose them. I would suggest you to use MP4repair.org to check whether they can be repaired. Then based on the results decide whether is worth to repair them.

Regards,
    --Fire
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    I would get a straight copy of the raw data on the card copied to a PC as soon as possible (using deleted/corrupted file recovery software). SD cards are not renowned for their longevity.

Cheers,
    David.
    I did copy it off the sd card to my hard drive as well.

I think I've already tried the mp4repair.org site before but will try again.
    Quote Quote