VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i got avermedia game capture hd card and i m unable to record from my set top box through component ouput. It says the content is protected by macrovision and cannot be copied. Is there encryption even in component output ?? The avermedia site says it can record from set top boxes.

My set top box is only SD box with component outputs. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK There are several variants of mv. One type can be defeated by using Component Out.

If this set-top box was supplied by the broadcaster/cable-provider it is quite likely that they do not want you to copy/record their chanels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by techspark View Post
    Is there encryption even in component output ?? The avermedia site says it can record from set top boxes.
    Not encryption, but signals a device can see and refuse to record. Macrovision, CGMS-A, etc. There are workaround for some Avermedia HD devices. Search the forums here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies.

Is there any other external capture card that i can buy that does not have this issue so i can return the game capture hd ?? I do not want to invest in any other hardware for removing the macrovision protection - i would prefer the capture card to handle all this as i do not want to compromise on quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The original Hauppage HD PVR can capture SD and HD component video and ignores CGMS-A and Macrovision. I'm not sure about their more recent devices. Their older PVR-250 ignored macrovision on SD composite and s-video signals.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Look into Hauppauge. They make several models. Try the Hauppauge HD PVR.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 11:11.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you guys for the suggestions.

My intial choice was hauppauge hd pvr but i was carried away by avermedia's game capture no pc requirement feature.

Btw, the hd pvr 2 is about $40-50 cheaper - they have a hidmi to component split cable - will this work with macrovision ??

Also, is it possible that a firmware upgrade can prevent hd pvr from recording macrovision protected sources ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techspark View Post

Also, is it possible that a firmware upgrade can prevent hd pvr from recording macrovision protected sources ??
    Well, many things are possible, but I think this is unlikely. And devices like the HD PVR get driver updates, not firmware updates. Not exactly the same thing. I suppose that some drive update could come in that would do this, but if Hauppauge hasn't given in yet on this, I find it hard to believe that they would do so later. And they couldn't force you to apply such an update any way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    devices like the HD PVR get driver updates, not firmware updates.
    They can get firmware updates too. There is a microcontroller in any smart device like that. It runs software (firmware) just like any other CPU. For example:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html

Windows driver for HD PVR

HD PVR driver version 1.7.1.30059

This version is for Windows 8, 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP. It is also for HD PVR users with third party Mac or Linux applications.
    Please note: this loads firmware onto HD PVR (it must be run on a Windows PC). The third party Linux or Mac application is still needed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You could use the EzCAP.TV 152 EzGAMER USB capture device to capture analog 480i component input. It's $75 USD on Amazon (here) and eBay (here). It seems to have worked good for me so far, with no problems due to copy protection. If you do choose that device, just don't use the Honestech DVR capture software included with it, because it evidently blend-deinterlaces 480i input video on the fly with no option to disable it that I could find. VirtualDub works fine with it.
    Quote Quote