VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, this is my first time posting here, or any message board in general, and I'm having a bit of an issue. I have begun the arduous task of ripping my unhealthily large dvd collection onto my computer, and for the most part, it goes smoothly. The problem comes up when I encounter a dvd that has no subtitles and has multiple audio streams (such as commentaries). I'd like to be able to preserve those streams, while adding the subtitle files that I personally create. With that in mind, I am in need of a program that will:

Convert files with multiple audio streams
    Allow me to (preferably) hardcode subtitles into those files
    Have the output be of decent quality and
    Be compatible with the 360

While I have found many programs that will accomplish some of these tasks, I have yet to find one (or a combination of one's) that will handle all. My reason for this is mildly convoluted, but I take my hard drive with me when I go out of town to friends or my parents house and I frequently watch my movies through a 360.

I am aware that this is a very precise request, but hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried handbrake?

Open the DVD VIDEO_TS folder and under the audio tab can you add more audio tracks, under the subtitles tab can you add a subtitle and select burn in/hardcode it. Convert to mp4 and see how it works on your xbox360.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And if you want burned in subs that you have created must they be in ssa format. https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles

edit: and I see that they must be muxed in the video....so it wont work....so close....
    Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Feb 2013 at 05:19.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The lack of hardcoding is only one of the issues I've been having with Handbrake. The main problem is roughly one in three videos has problems. Audio desync, subtitles become skewed, video freezes but audio continues, all kinds of issues. When I check the parent file, none of those issues are present.

I've been at this several months, so here are a few of the programs I've tried:

Avi Recomp
    Avi Synth
    Handbrake
    Wondershare
    AVS4You
    Xvid4PSP

This is not a comprehensive list, I've uninstalled several programs. Xvid4PSP is, so far, the best of the bunch, after a fashion. Version 5 handles hardcoding subtitles beautifully, while Version 6 (still in beta) handles multiple subtitle streams easily. The problem is, they lack the combined feature. I've been hoping 6 will come through for me, but alas, no news or updates since September of last year and even their forums are empty.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could hardcode with xvid4psp and output as a mp4. And then after multiplex/add the extra audio streams using mymp4boxgui. Extract audio streams from a dvd video_ts folder with for example pgcdemux. Convert to aac if the xbox360 doesn't support ac3 in mp4 with taudioconverter. But it's lots of extra work for each dvd...

You could try ripbot264. It can hardcode subs from external source. BUT I have no idea if it suppors multiple audio streams.
    Quote Quote