VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my process of burning blu-rays. I rip to hard drive with anydvd hd. Then I use handbrake which leaves me with a 2-3GB size. My handbrake output settings are large file size checked and web optimized checked. Under video I have Avg bitrate set to 2500, and 2-pass encoding checked. Then with that done I use Imgburn to burn to disc. I was using verbatim 25gb blu-ray's they work just fine in my PS3 but not in my older Panasonic blu-ray player.

OK so I figure my older unit needs a firmware update so I make a disc to update it super easy. Now its updated and still does not work. It reads the disc and a disc navigation menu pops up and says nothing has been recorded. This happened before the update too.

Meantime I figure I am wasting money on blu-ray disc's so I got some memorex DVD-R 4GB. The PS3 also plays these disc's. The panasonic will not even read the DVD-R or go to a disc navigation menu.

What am I doing wrong??????
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake does not produce BluRay output. It converts to other formats. So there's always some chance that your Panasonic simply can't play these other formats no matter what you do.

Look at your BluRay burns - do they say LTH anywhere on the disc or packaging? LTH discs don't play on some older players. This could be your problem.

Memorex discs are VERY BAD quality. The only consistently good quality DVD discs left in the USA are either Taiyo Yuden/JVC (you will have to buy these online) or Verbatim (everything they make is good EXCEPT their "Life" series). The Panasonic may not support playing the format that Handbrake makes at all so that may be more of an issue than bad media, but the bad media is not helping.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you were wasting your blu-ray discs if you only had one movie of 2-3GB size on them. In that case I wouldn't have coded to mp4(if that is what you use). Then I would rather have compressed the movie to 25 GB to fit the disc, with better quality than mp4.

The problem with your player not being able to read your files on the discs.....
    could be that you are using UDF, and that your player don't support this.
    Try using ISO 9660 (Jouliet) instead.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok jman thanks for the heads up on memorex wish I didnt buy a bunch now lol. I will have to look to see if they are LTH discs when I get home. since I was using verbatim first it leads me to believe its a mp4 issue or an issue with my old player not liking the LTH discs that I have to check and see if I have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brusno View Post
    Yes you were wasting your blu-ray discs if you only had one movie of 2-3GB size on them. In that case I wouldn't have coded to mp4(if that is what you use). Then I would rather have compressed the movie to 25 GB to fit the disc, with better quality than mp4.

The problem with your player not being able to read your files on the discs.....
    could be that you are using UDF, and that your player don't support this.
    Try using ISO 9660 (Jouliet) instead.
    I cant agree more with the larger size being better quality. I do not mind buying 25GB discs. I should still use anydvd hd and imgburn. I do not know how to compress the anydvd rip...yes I am a newbie.

If I get rid of the mp4 I think I may be good to go
    Quote Quote  
  6. Older Panasonic players only support AVCHD on a disc, newer ones also support MKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The difficulty in advising you is not knowing how you build and burn your discs. Both my PS3 and cheap standalone Seiki BD player accept all kinds of discs ie... various brands of 25GB BD, DVD-R, DVD+R, DL DVD and DVD+RW as AVCHD or BD format with one proviso....They must be burned as UDF 2.5.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote