VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have hundreds of videos I've taken over the years which are in .mov format. I just recently found out that I cannot stream the 1080p .mov videos from my Mac to my Apple TV 3. Well, you can, but the time it takes to buffer is ridiculous. So, I tried converting several videos using the HandbrakeCLI command line utility like this:

HandbrakeCLI -i movie.mov -o movie.mp4 --preset="Normal"

This command creates a 1920x1080 mp4 file, which is on average about 1/3 the size of the original mov. The video quality looks very good, and plays back on the Apple TV 3 just fine. I understand that both mov and mp4 are container files, so I'm assuming the video and audio are transferred from the mov to mp4 in a lossless manner.

Assuming that is true, is there any reason to keep the original mov files after converting?

I was planning on retroactively converting all of my mov files to mp4, since mp4 is an industry standard.

-Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake is re-encoding your files so you are losing some quality,best to keep the mov files for archiving unless they are not that important.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your mov files contain h.264 video and aac audio, Quicktime Pro will allow you to export it losslessly to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or the free ffmpeg,
    ffmpeg -i video.mov -acodec copy -vcodec copy video.mp4.
    No shrinking though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Videospec to determine the contents (codecs and bitrate) of the original .mov file.

If no further editing is required and the converted files look and sound fine (double-check A/V sync), you can toss the originals.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the op wants to reduce the file size to prevent buffering when streaming the video so just remuxing them isn't what he/she needs to do.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote