VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Newbie (don't ya just LOVE us, lol????) question coming up !!!!!!
    In my collection of DVDs there are quite a few "episodic" TV ones that i want to break down and save out each episode as an AVI for instance, with as little fuss as possible.
    What that means is ONE piece of sotware that will both rip the DVD, and convert the files into a format of the users choice, and doesnt take all day doing it, hogging the processor at the same time.
    I''ve tried various rippers, converters and other assorted software, but get mixed results at best.
    Some leave all the episodes in one lump, some divide the episodes up in a seemingly random fashion....not starting at the start, or ending at the end, for instance. Some leave huge file sized "lumps of stuff" that i quit of of the program long before completion, TBH. Some giving estimated times of (say) 24+ hours, and that goes up as the process progresses !!!!!

I dont want to be using multiple programs to achieve this, as its going to be time consuming, confusing and if i'm honest...boring

Any help gratefully recieved
    Reverser
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stop trying to rip and convert from the disc. Rip the disc to your HDD first. So no....there is no program that can "both rip the DVD, and convert the files into a format of the users choice, and doesnt take all day doing it, hogging the processor at the same time."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Uhm, yes there is FreeMake Video Converter is also a DVD Decrypter/Ripper. I use it to do quick converts. Reverser, try it out just watch when you install it you read the screens that want to install toolbars and other stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "AVI" is a container that can accept many codecs/compressors. By "the format of choice" I assume you mean some way of re-encoding already lossy encodes (MPEG) with some other encoder. Bad choice. Why not keep the videos as DVD-compliant, and simply edit/cut/join as DVD and maintain the quality you have now, instead of lowering quality with a re-encode?

Video encoding is not like lossless ZIP or WinRAR. Encoding is an entirely different process.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:00.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm with hech54. BTW Freemake is rubbish.

There is only one good way to get faster encoding. Buy a faster computer. There are faster encoder settings but then you'd be complaining about the quality.

And don't start thinking that you can get better programs for $50-100 than free ones. They are usually worse than the free alternatives. There are rare exceptions but I wouldn't include encoders I know of. In fact many, many paid programs are free programs with useless pretty wrappers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Reverser View Post
    ONE piece of software that will both rip the DVD, and convert the files into a format of the users choice, and doesn't take all day doing it, hogging the processor at the same time.

I dont want to be using multiple programs to achieve this, as its going to be time consuming, confusing and if i'm honest...boring.
    I guess, I missed something that the OP said ? I suggested something that might work from what I took from the post.

P.S. I'd say Windows 98 was garbage if I used Windows 8.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or use dvdfab dvd ripper. Rip and convert directly to avi, etc. Not the best quality but pretty easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second DVDFAB. You can rip episode DVDs as separate files.
    Quote Quote