VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I realized (rather late) that with my OPPO Blu-ray player, if I want to back up movies from my collection to fit on a DVD-DL and convert them to MKV files, they play just fine, BUT with my player there are no chapter stops, so I cannot easily navigate forward or backward through the movie.

So, I thought, 'HEY, I can use TSMuxer to create AVCHD folders that would play more like a Blu-ray disc, then easily being able to use the 'next' or 'previous' buttons just like a Blu-ray!' I had already backed up a lot of my Blu-rays and converted them to MKVs, so with certain important ones, I'm going back and using TSMuxer to convert them to AVCHD discs.

Well, this has been working just fine EXCEPT this one MKV file that I have after seemingly creating the AVCHD folder and burning it successfully, the dang thing started pixelizing on playback. Kinda weird, not immediately, but the picture would be fine for a few seconds, then pixelize, then look okay, etc.

I'm wondering that since the original MKV plays perfectly fine on my OPPO and TSMuxer hasn't really changed anything from the original formats or anything, WHY the heck is the disc playing back like that? A friend helped my do the original encodes from BR to MKV since that is a bit complicated and I don't really know how to do that, but like I say, the MKV's themselves DO play just fine.

Here is the Media Info on the file:

General
    Unique ID : 173224181900332830988533794246815468740 (0x8251C38F0A82669387B5E7678D454CC4)
    Complete name : C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Cypher.BR.Backup (1).mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
    File size : 5.89 GiB
    Duration : 1h 35mn
    Overall bit rate : 8 811 Kbps
    Movie name : Cypher.BR.Backup
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-22 21:41:31
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.9.0 ('On The Loose') built on Dec 9 2012 15:37:01
    Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 7 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 7 306 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.331
    Stream size : 4.76 GiB (81%)
    Title : AVC
    Writing library : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=7 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.10:0.10 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=10 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=7306 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=62500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.80
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Mode : 16
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.01 GiB (17%)
    Title : English
    Default : No

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Default : No

Any ideas...?

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps your hardware player simply cannot handle some of the encoder settings that were used in the "problematic" video:

cabac=1 / ref=7 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.10:0.10 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=10 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=7306 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=62500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.80
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Perhaps your hardware player simply cannot handle some of the encoder settings that were used in the "problematic" video:

cabac=1 / ref=7 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.10:0.10 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=10 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=7306 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=62500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.80
    YES! Thank you!

This is EXACTLY what I need, is someone who is much more experienced and will be able to see SPECIFIC variables in the encoding process that may cause my OPPO Blu-ray player trouble. I'm assuming that the ones that you have highlighted in BOLD are ones that may be suspect. That is excellent!

Now, if I could humbly presume just a tad more please, would you mind terribly just giving me a quick recommendation with these particular variables? I know that when I wrote OPPO a while back about another file, they said something about reference frames not being to high, but some of the encodes with even 9 or 13 have played okay, but perhaps that may be in COMBINATION with other variables. This is an area that I REALLY want to learn more about, but I just don't quite understand yet. Would you mind please suggesting perhaps what settings I might try with these questionable ones? One thing that strikes me is that the B-frames look quite high; THAT looks most suspect to me since I am familiar with that setting a little bit. How about the other 3 you mentioned, could you kindly tell me what they do and perhaps with what value I could try setting them?

bluray_compat=0

keyint=250

nal_hrd=none

I sure very much appreciate it, thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is the ReFrames : 7 frames have to be 5 or less or you will get that pixel smearing when played as an avchd in most newer dvd players,mkv will play properly with high reference frames but not avchd.

You can add chapters to an mkv with MKV Chapterizer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The problem is the ReFrames : 7 frames have to be 5 or less or you will get that pixel smearing when played as an avchd in most newer dvd players,mkv will play properly with high reference frames but not avchd.

You can add chapters to an mkv with MKV Chapterizer.
    Ah, thank you SO much mate; sure appreciate it!!! I KNEW that there must be some difference but I didn't know what it was. I REALLY need to study up on all those H.264 settings so that I can hopefully begin to understand what the hell they do

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    variable buffer and bitrates are incompatible with bluray hardware players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by addu View Post
    variable buffer and bitrates are incompatible with bluray hardware players.
    Excellent! That is what I need to know, thank you! BTW, could you please tell me exactly WHICH settings shown in the media info box above represent the 'Variable buffer' and 'Variable bitrates' so that I can tell if my encodes have them.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=62500. Kindly put the vbv_maxrate=40000/vbv_bufsize=30000 while encoding.
    Last edited by addu; 13th Feb 2013 at 01:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and for avchd try to put vbv_maxrate=18000/vbv_bufsize=15000 to play it comfortably.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by addu View Post
    and for avchd try to put vbv_maxrate=18000/vbv_bufsize=15000 to play it comfortably.
    Wow, that's awesome!

Thank you for suggesting the values; I REALLY need to read up on the codec so that I can truly understand WHY these need to be set a certain way.

I very much appreciate it!
    Quote Quote