VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Im a beginner to video editing. I can use Windows Movie Maker no problem. However, i am looking to expand my knowledge into creating music videos using decent effects. After Effects is on my wish list but isn't affordable. So i am looking at cheaper alternatives. Does anyone know why Sony Vegas Pro 11 & Sony Movie Studio Platinum are so different in price £399 and £66 ?

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 12 (£66): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Movie-Studio-Platinum-Suite/dp/B008MIMIY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=so...0446861&sr=1-2

Sony vegas Pro 11 (£399): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Pro-11-PC/dp/B005X3DX6M/ref=sr_1_4?s=software&ie=UT...0446861&sr=1-4

I am looking at an editing software which has some decent effects. I like the twitch fx, ghost etc that come with Sony Vegas. I anyone can suggest any other software if Vegas is a no no that would be great too. Its so daunting looking at all the different softwares

I hope someone can shed any light for me ?
    ps I use a 32 bit PC with external audiocard - Focusrite.

pps: and if i buy the £66 one will i still be able to download and plug in all the free effects that are out there ?

ppps: i have seen the other post here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/301859-What-is-the-difference-between-Vegas-Pro-and...tudio-platinum but i dont even know what a video scope is ? oh dear ...
    Last edited by Ghost Dust; 9th Feb 2013 at 16:37. Reason: found new thread
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas pro 12 is the current version of their high end editor. it sells for $600. the reduced feature set vegas studio 12 starts at about a $100 but can often be found on sale or with a rebate.

comparison here - http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

pro 12 is for 64 bit windows only.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pro doesn't have any more canned stuff than the Studio versions. The canned stuff looks cool, at first, but everyone knows it's canned, so you don't get too much wow factor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah thankyou Aedipuss, i will study the link you have given

Thankyou Bdwzr, dont know what a canned is though hahaha, Im new, forgive me

thanks i will check the link and plod along with it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to get away with the cheaper option. do any of you guys know whether you can download additional effects and transitions for Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11

I want the Twitch and Ghost effects, is there an opportunity to import extra effects on top of the effects that already come with the software ??

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ghost Dust View Post
    I am trying to get away with the cheaper option.
    Don't get the Pro, you'll regret it. The mind can only absorb so much. By the time you get ready, the next version will be out, maybe two versions from now.

That's just the way it is. Pro does go to a much deeper level, but it's a level where you're in total control of the primitive tools and building blocks. It's a regulat TinkerToy down in the basement.

When you get total control, and know the tools well, and understand what each one does and how they could combine to create original art, then you will have learned, grasshopper.

But Wait! There's more.

The next level is "Compositing". Vegas surely has more compositing tools than any other NLE in it's class. It's as powerful as PhotoShop when it comes to layers, masks, effects, but uses a nomenclature that's very intuitive to what an editor thinks, and they put the tools right where you would expect to use them. Not on a pulldown window.

Last edited by budwzr; 10th Feb 2013 at 21:20.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    t'aww thanks guys soo much I've taken the plunge and bought
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio Visual Effects Suite

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Studio-Visual-Effects/dp/B005NH7ZZ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=...604821&sr=8-13

i hope too god its right !! i only need it for basic purposes for now - until i get into it then i may upgrade the PRO ...

Thanks so much for the help within this daunting process !

When i gain knowledge, i shall return the favour to others
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ps I use a 32 bit PC

t'aww thanks guys soo much I've taken the plunge and bought
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio Visual Effects Suite
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Studio-Visual-Effects/dp/B005NH7ZZ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=...604821&sr=8-13
    i hope too god its right !! i
    Minimum system requirements from SCS site Product Page
    • Microsoft® Windows Vista® 64-bit SP2, Windows® 7 64-bit, or Windows® 8 64-bit operating system
    HitFilm 2 Express (the Visual Effects part) is 64-bit.

Testing with a free trial version of any NLE you consider is recommended.
    Last edited by vkmast; 11th Feb 2013 at 12:17.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh shit ! i did look but it didnt say in the system requirments on Amazon ... goddamit !
    Quote Quote