VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi peeps!

Can anyone please recommend an HTPC remote? I was looking at the Logitech Harmony Remotes and they seem too overly complicated for my purposes. Are there any other simpler ones out there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Island_Dweller View Post
    Hi peeps!

Can anyone please recommend an HTPC remote? I was looking at the Logitech Harmony Remotes and they seem too overly complicated for my purposes. Are there any other simpler ones out there?
    I need more information to be able to advise you.

What devices do you need to control with the remote?

If you plan to buy a third-party remote, like a Logitech Harmony, to use with an existing PC remote receiver, what type of PC remote receiver do you have?

What the media center software you plan to use? If you need to buy both a remote control and a receiver, they need to be compatible with the media center software. Also, do you need the computer to control a set-top box, such as a satellite receiver, for recording TV shows?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a Loftek Rii N7 a year or so ago, at Amazon,
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I4SSCQ/ref=wms_ohs_product
    but I see that it is no longer in stock. It is a wireless mouse/keyboard that is the same size as most remotes and contains a rechargeable battery. Since it is RF, it should work from room to room and has a 100 foot range. It really works well for me. The only drawback, for some people, is that while it has a full keyboard, it does not have arrow keys. (That has not been a problem for me, as it does have a buit-in touchpad.) It cost around $40, last year. I would check the Loftek website and see if it is still available. I definitely recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for the responses.

@ usually_quiet : I don't have a receiver, so I guess I'll need both the remote and its receiver. I would only use it for MPC-HC.

@ PhoneMatt : The Loftek looks amazing, indeed. Thanks.

@ Jagabo: Excellent suggestions. The Rosewill looks like what I'm after. Great price and it comes with a receiver. Does it work with Win 7 x64 and have you had any problems with it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Island_Dweller View Post
    @ Jagabo: Excellent suggestions. The Rosewill looks like what I'm after. Great price and it comes with a receiver. Does it work with Win 7 x64 and have you had any problems with it?
    I've used it with Win7 32 bit and Win8 64 bit. So I imagine it will work with Win 7 64 bit. We don't use it often because it can't control the TV (off/on, sleep timer, etc.). The other remote is used most often -- all its buttons are programmable (learned from any IR remote). It has a Windows Media Center preset, which we used for the basic setup, with some buttons modified to our liking. They're both infra red so line-of-site is required. The programmability is the main reason we went with IR remotes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Island_Dweller View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses.

@ usually_quiet : I don't have a receiver, so I guess I'll need both the remote and its receiver. I would only use it for MPC-HC.
    I tried using my MCE remote, and a standard MCE remote like the Rosewill won't work 100% correctly with MPC-HC. Maybe a remote that has a learning function and can be programmed to control additional devices could be programmed to control MPC-HC. I don't know how to do it, and you would need to purchase a receiver for the PC separately.

There is another option for controlling MPC-HC if you have an Android device. The program MPC-HC Remote Control allows you to access MPC-HC through its "Web Interface".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A learning remote probably isn't necessary. It looks like MPC-HC has some key-mapping functions of its own to be found under the Options section. There is some information about using the key mapping functions for a remote control here: http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/2086/mpc-hc-external-player-tips-tricks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the links and the helpful info, guys, I will go with the Rosewill. By the looks of things, it might be easy to map the keys using the MPC-HC options.
    Quote Quote