VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ive just changed my drive over to a 3D model and found it doesnt support HD DVD titles, luckily my old LG drive does, but the software doesnt work with Windows 7 anymore.
    In this day and age does anyone know of a sure fire way to play HD DVD.. from DISC? Ive tried Total Media Theatre, as this is what used to work, version 3 wont start at all and version 6 plays the file with no audio at around fps (!!)
    PowerDVD doesnt work either, says unsupported disc.
    Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ancient versions of PowerDVD can do it, but...
    I have no idea if those versions work under Win 7.
    I don't remember which was the last version that did (you can search for this yourself easily enough).
    Cyberlink will NOT sell you those versions of PowerDVD that supported HD DVD any more, so you will have to find them through "other channels". I'm not allowed to tell you what those "other channels" are but hopefully you are smart enough to figure that out.

That "3D capability" may be bs to drive up the price because regular BluRay drives on PCs will also work if you have the right CPU, video card and monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it were me and I had a collection of HD-DVDs, I would do 2 things:
    1. Buy BDs to replace them (might take a while)
    2. In the meantime, rip+ demux (main movie only) + remux to M2TS +reauthor to BD-R.
    The specs are close enough, you probably shouldn't have to lose any quality, either. I'm actually surprised there isn't already an all-in-one app that does this already.

Scott

BTW, this ought to have been done back in 2009, when it was clear HD-DVD was going away. Also, if you have trouble with player apps in Win7, you should dual-boot into XP (or use a VM of XP).
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The last version of PowerDVD supporting HD DVD was version 7, but there used to be floating around a "distribution" of PowerDVD 8 with some extra files to allow HD DVD playback. It was PowerDVD Ultra 8.0.1531.0.

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    2. In the meantime, rip+ demux (main movie only) + remux to M2TS +reauthor to BD-R.
    The specs are close enough, you probably shouldn't have to lose any quality, either. I'm actually surprised there isn't already an all-in-one app that does this already.

multiAVCHD can do this, just rip the HDDVD_TS folder and import.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 7th Feb 2013 at 19:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I Converted my HD-DVD collection To BR using TSmuxer. Just load and append the EVO files,select BR output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I stand corrected: 2 very good HD-DVD -> BD conversion suggestions above...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornucopia
    1. Buy BDs to replace them (might take a while)
    I did both.

I had 8 hd-dvd movies. I finally replaced the last of them recently. But I also ripped a few to h264/mkv to bide my time.

Thing is now you can get bluray movies at a really good price if you look hard enough. Also you can finally buy bluray movies used at good prices so I would look into that option first.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for all your suggestions though I did want to play from disc direct rather than rip and convert to make use of the drive. I managed to find an old version of Total Media Theatre V5.3.1.172 that plays them fine direct from DVD, so if anyone else is having issues, thats the version you need to get. Thansk again for all the responses, much appreciated.
    Quote Quote