VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Easy MAC Divx->VCD

This guide tells you how to take a divx encoded movie and convert it to a vcd using nothing but Mac tools and programs.

For the most updated guides goto: http://homepage.mac.com/tgpo

Tools needed:
    1. DiVX Player - this program requires WMP 6.3 to be installed
    2. Divx Codec
    3. Quicktime Pro
    4. Roxio Toast

Step 1:
    Open DiVX player. Click Movie, then DiVX Doctor. Double-click on your Divx encoded movie. Now wait. After a few min. it should create a .mov file. Close DiVX player.

Step 2:
    Open Quicktime Pro. Open your newly created mov movie. Using the small triangles under the status bar select about the first half of the movie. Then click edit, cut. Then File, New window. Then edit, paste. You should now have two windows each with half the movie. Next click File, export. Export as a Toast Ready Video Disk.

Step 3:
    Once both movies are encoded as mpeg files close Quicktime Pro and open Toast. Under the other button choose Video CD. Click and drag one of the mpeg files and burn. Then burn the other file. And Enjoy!

-TGPO
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    My Mac doesn't have a burner, so I have no reason to buy Toast. My PC does have a burner, and it's networked to the Mac, so transferring the files to the PC for burning would be a simple matter. Is there any way I can export the files from QuickTime for burning without the Toast option?

Super-easy guide - thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by scsmith
    My Mac doesn't have a burner, so I have no reason to buy Toast. My PC does have a burner, and it's networked to the Mac, so transferring the files to the PC for burning would be a simple matter. Is there any way I can export the files from QuickTime for burning without the Toast option?

Super-easy guide - thanks!
    would'nt it be simpler to do it on your pc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can convert the .mov file to anything you want. There are endless possibilities to what you can convert it too, it all depends on what format you want the files in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am having problems with getting Quicktime or even Toast to record the .mov file to .mpg. I have no problems converting the .avi file to .mov. When ever I try to convert to .mpg, I get a pop up that states "the disc is full and can't export". My first reaction was as I have over a gig of free space and a blank 80 min disc in the burner. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello, I'm wondering how you would convert .rm, .avi, possibly.wmv and .asf into .mpg or mpeg. I've been to a couple of sites where you can download a converter, but its only for Windows, now I know there must be a Mac version (doesn't feel like Mac users are a minority when it comes to downloads?)

Also I have a cd-burner which came with my computer (0S 9 & 0S X), how would I go about burning a VCD? The only software to burn was the iTunes that came with the computer. I do however have a version of Adeptec (sp?) Toast, which I bought about a year ago, before I received my new computer.

Dragon, what program (and where) did you convert you .avi files to .mov?

Any info on the above would be very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dragon, a full length movie can can up over a gig of free space, even in vcd format. Try and free up sone space and try again.

-TGPO
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LinkinParkee666
    Hello, I'm wondering how you would convert .rm, .avi, possibly.wmv and .asf into .mpg or mpeg. I've been to a couple of sites where you can download a converter, but its only for Windows, now I know there must be a Mac version (doesn't feel like Mac users are a minority when it comes to downloads?)
    You can do this with Discreet Cleaner 5.1.1 (OS 9 & OS X), but it's $560 software.

Originally Posted by LinkinParkee666
    Also I have a cd-burner which came with my computer (0S 9 & 0S X), how would I go about burning a VCD? The only software to burn was the iTunes that came with the computer. I do however have a version of Adeptec (sp?) Toast, which I bought about a year ago, before I received my new computer.
    You can burn VCDs using Roxio (Adaptecs new media division) Toast 5.1.3. Upgrade your old version.

Originally Posted by LinkinParkee666
    Dragon, what program (and where) did you convert you .avi files to .mov?

Any info on the above would be very helpful.
    There are two programs that can do this. Avi2Mov (http://mpeg4.jamby.net) (OS X only) and Divx Doctor II (http://doctor.3ivx.com) (OS 9 and OS X).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! Recently, I have gotten really interested in making my own VCDs on my Mac. I have an iBook se. I purchased a usb video capture device, a CD burner, and just ordered an audio capture/usb hub (because my computer didn't have an audio in port)...all because I want to make my own VCDs. I'll have the version 4 of Toast with my cd-burner. I've spent a whole lot of money and I don't know if I can afford another $30 for Apple's Quicktime Pro software.

Questions:
    Is there any other program out there that can prepare a .mov file for cd burning for Toast?

When Quicktime Pro prepares the video file, does it make a disk image when it does this?

How much disk space is Quicktime Pro going to need when it compresses the .mov file to the MPEG format? If we are talking about the end result taking up a whole CD in the end?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. For those using OS X, you can achieve the same result using these tools:
    1. DivX Doctor II (http://doctor.3ivx.com)
    2. 3ivx Delta 4.0 PR1 Codec (http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html)
    3. Quicktime Pro (http://www.apple.com/quicktime)
    4. Roxio Toast 5.1 or later (http://www.roxio.com)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by j1201
    I've spent a whole lot of money and I don't know if I can afford another $30 for Apple's Quicktime Pro software.
    These are hard times we live in.

Originally Posted by j1201

Questions:
    Is there any other program out there that can prepare a .mov file for cd burning for Toast?

When Quicktime Pro prepares the video file, does it make a disk image when it does this?

How much disk space is Quicktime Pro going to need when it compresses the .mov file to the MPEG format? If we are talking about the end result taking up a whole CD in the end?
    1. You can drag and drop a .MOV file onto Toast 5 and it will convert it to Video CD MPEG format.

2. It makes a .mpg file if you're converting in QT Pro. If you're dragging and dropping in Toast I guess it generates a temporary file somewhere until the burn is done, I haven't tried it.

3. If you're converting an .AVI DivX file to .MPG the output is roughtly the size of the imput.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless I start out with a mov file or an avi file that is opened up in QuickTime Pro, I cannot get the movie file to export in Toast Video CD format.

For example, I have an mpeg movie file that is probably compressed at MPEG 3...and when I open it in Quicktime pro and try to export it as a Toast Video CD format I get a message that either tells me it doesn't have an audio track or doesn't have a video track...and by converting it to .mov format or to .avi format or whatever and then trying to export as a Toast Video CD format...doesn't help.

Is there any good converter out there? Something I can use to convert all my files to video cd format or something that can be opened up in quicktime pro that is going to allow me to convert it to video cd format?

It just seems impossible for me to get this video cd thing to work no matter what software and hardware I buy. What am I doing wrong? Help?
    Quote Quote  
  13. the same thing happens to me
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I have discovered a program that works really well at converting those MPEG files to video CD format . . . Go to:

http://www.vcdgear.com/

Download this program, it will work great! !! I tried it and it worked....

Barry
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi There...

Is there also an other tool to Convert and cut the .mov Files?

Cause with Quicktime Pro i have to stay and wait till 1 Part is converted before i can select the next part.

Greetings
    DJ-Kolchos
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have the file converted to a format toast likes, but I need to know hoe to segement the mpeg so that I can fit it on the disk or make chapters for it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To cut the file into two files I still would suggest Quicktime Pro. It is the best at what it does. With it you can quickly and easily cut files into segments for burning.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I cant do it in os x, but how do I do it in os 9 with quicktime pro?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Step 2:
    Open Quicktime Pro. Open your newly created mov movie. Using the small triangles under the status bar select about the first half of the movie. Then click edit, cut. Then File, New window. Then edit, paste. You should now have two windows each with half the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  20. But what if you don't have QT pro, And Don't Wanna Crank out more Dough?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then just drag the .mov file to Toast, or use any other Video Cd converter. Quicktime Pro is just the easiest to use.
    Quote Quote  
  22. the file is to big when i do that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need to split the file into chunks that are under 80min. long. Any Video editer can do this.
    Quote Quote  
  24. i just D/L QT Pro So It's All Good Now. only Thing Is It's So long To Convert. Do you thing It WOuld Go Faster If I Do IT To my internal Drive, Rather Then My Extrenal USB Drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may make it a little faster because the transfer rate of IDE is much faster than USB. But the difference isn't that significant.
    Quote Quote  
  26. If only you could D/L A new processor, or more ram!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good call. How long does it take you to encode to vcd?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I am using MAC, I converted an AVI to .MOV using DIVX Doctor II, then opened it in Quick Time Pro, divided it in segment but when I try to export it, I do not have the option: export as a Toast Ready Video Disk. Why? [/b]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You must have Toast Titanium installed on your computer to have the Export option.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i also have the same problem where the export to VCD option isnt available, and toast titanium IS installed on my computer. whats going on?
    Quote Quote