VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Have you bought a blu-ray burner?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one a couple years ago when the price got to under a $100,I hardly burn dvds anymore and very rarely cds.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. DVD burner is enough for the few times I burn something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. Haven't burned with it yet, but it was only $15 more than a reader and isn't Rip Locked (rips @ up to 12X).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I have two now, and have been burning blu ray for several years.

Though I suspect blu ray drives will be used as rippers more often in the future than burners.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have one because i think it's too expensive to buy.
    Besides that the blu-ray recordables are expensive as wel.
    So, no i'm sticking to dvd for the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I have two now, and have been burning blu ray for several years.

Though I suspect blu ray drives will be used as rippers more often in the future than burners.
    I believe they are being ripped more often today already,same as dvds were for backup and media player files.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a BD-Rom flake out on me so last month bought a LG BH14NS40 burner. Also picked up a 3 pack of 25gb Memorex BD-RE discs for $15 and a few 25 packs of 25gb discs at $20 each (Some Verbatim LTH and some regular Philips). The burner had no problems at all with any of the discs. They are certainly cheaper per MB than the DVD DL discs I have been buying.

To test I combined some smaller avchd video to one BD-RE disc by building a clip selection menu with MultiAvchd. Liked the results and rewrote them to BDR. I've used all 3 BD-RE for testing and a couple from each pack of the other BD-R and they all work fine. Those containing video play well on my PS3 and also my Seiki BD player so I'm real happy. I plan on using the BD-R mostly as a secondary backup for data already on sl and dl dvd discs to cut down on the number of extra discs.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD burner is enough for me......haven't gotten into the bluray disc burning yet.....don't have a need to yet.....
    Quote Quote  
  9. I bought a Pioneer BD-Burner in November for about $70 for a project that I needed to read data off a BD disk. It's a nice drive and though I have burned some DVDs and CDs with it, I don;t see myself burning any BD with it in the near future.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use them both (DVD & Blu-Ray.) However, I find DVD more reliable than BD, especially for long movies, as I will not burn for hours using BD Rebuilder. I use the fast mode in BD Rebuilder and burns are therfore, so-so.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I bought a Pioneer BDR-2208 on Black Friday. I have used it quite a bit already for burning data discs of TV shows.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll go with what Baldrick said...

with the addition that I do have a BR reader. I still have about 80 DVD blanks from about 5 years ago.

Except for Off road GoPro videos for friends, Just don't burn to plastic anymore.

Everything I have is now on Hard disks.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  13. Blueray discs are way too expensive....
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you shop right and look around you can find decent deals on Blu-ray SL blanks. I never buy DL Blu-ray blanks because I agree that they, truly are, too expensive. I usually stock up when I see a decent SL blank sales.

I don't do an insane amount of burning but when I purchase an expensive limited edition Blu-ray release then I definitely want to protect my investment. I also use Blu-ray for archival purposes for data. Not data that will cause the end of the world if lost but that simply can't continue to take up HDD space and I want tucked away for reference when necessary.

The pricing of burners has come down and is much more reasonable than it was only a few years back now. I grabbed a Pioneer BDR-205 before they stopped making them for a good price and am extremely happy. I really haven't run into any issues with burning to Blu-ray blanks minus my poor experience with LTH media which I believe is garbage for numerous reasons including the slower burning speeds.

YMMV but Blu-ray burning can be insanely useful for some people while for others its simply unnecessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted nope but plan to soon even though that isn't really true.

I would like one but not really sure i'd use it.

I get a lot of videos off the net from youtube and other various sites. I would have a use for a bluray burner but now that I got a tablet that can play h264 mkv files without much hassle (only a few reencodes so far have been needed) I really don't need to do much with my video files to be able to watch them.

Also I have my dual core pc hooked up to a hdtv so its a seudo htpc as it is and I can play any of my hd files off my pc just fine even without my wdtv that I do have (gen 1 model).

I could see the benefit of a bluray burner for doing harddrive backups. However last fall I bought two external harddrives for both of my computers for that alone. its really more convenient and probably cheaper per gb than doing bluray.

The burner itself I'm sure is a lot cheaper these days as has been mentioned but also the blanks are still relatively pricey as has been mentioned.

So in conclusion I may get one someday but its not top on my list of priorities.

Actually my next tech purchases is a wifi N router to use with my tablet to reduce buffering on my video streaming. (I'm at a g now).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one about a year ago. At $1.50 for 25GB, I found this to be excellent storage. I used Optical Quantum but will try the Verbatim next.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by cd090580 View Post
    Blueray discs are way too expensive....
    They were at first but now they are cheaper than DVD DL.

BD-R:
    http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97344-Blu-ray-Single-Layer-Recordable/dp/B004S6315S/ref...=verbatim+bd-r

DVD+R DL:
    http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-95310-Recordable-20-Disc-Spindle/dp/B000GHWRIK/ref=sr_1...rbatim+dvd%2Br

I still don't have any use for BD-R yet, I might buy a writer in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Contemplating it, but I will need to import disks for it to be useful - the pricing is extortionate in this country. Mainly for backup rather than burning films to playable disks per se.

I have a bucket load of DVDs (uncounted, but over 2,000) with films on them - mainly grabbed off pay tv as my set top box is connected to a DVD recorder and burned to DVD-R. The count is probably increasing by 5-6 films a week. I am in the tedious process of ripping them, compressing to MP4, and copying to a network drive so they are streamable using media players. I don't want to repeat the process, so I am also copying to external USB drives for backup. I also want to put copies onto optical media as protection - and using 25GB or 50GB blu rays would take a heap less space than storing on DVDs. Backing up the whole collection to 40-60 disks using the 50GB attractive than using 5-800 DVDs!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, came with my laptop, but sadly have never used it for bluray.
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So far, I haven't seen any real reason to get into blu-ray at all, really.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a Pioneer BDR-203 BD burner for over a year. Works very well. I've burned over a hundred Verbatim BD discs with no coasters. All were data discs to store my MKV files on for backup. I don't have a standalone BD player, just my PCs. For data, a 25GB disc is cheaper per MB than DVD discs, so it's really a good setup for data backup, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  22. That poll amount of an astounding 81% that don't have any kind of burner is suspect.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    That poll amount of an astounding 81% that don't have any kind of burner is suspect.
    Something is wrong...it's usually around 200 votes.

edit: fixed.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 9th Feb 2013 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I bought one a couple years ago when the price got to under a $100,I hardly burn dvds anymore and very rarely cds.
    Ditto, 'ceptin' I still burn DVDs and CDs regularly, too.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after a few years of burning blu-ray i have come to the conclution it is a waste of money as a couple of years down the line they do not play any more so it is just as cheap to store them on a portable hard drive a wester digital 3TB will set you back104 pounds. so my thoughts are a cheap blu-ray rom to rip them with. anydvd hd and BD rebuiler save on the portable hardive and stream to the tv and pop corn on
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a BH14NS40 and a BH08LS10. Use nothing but Verbatim 6x BD-R discs (not the LTH type). I managed to get two 25 packs from newegg at $1.00 per disc after an online coupon. I don't burn BD very often. but I discovered the BH14NS40 is an excellent drive for ripping audio cd's. It makes proper use of C2 pointers.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
  27. Been on the bandwagon since they first came out a few years ago. Even though I don't burn many Blu-Ray's compared to DVD, it's still very useful for clients I have that want to create an HD version of their material.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At the end of December 2012 I finally bought my first Blu-Ray burner, the LG BH14NS40

I'm really surprised it took me so long but I'm also surprised that prices haven't come down more considering how long Blu-Ray burners have been out. I guess it was the high price and my low income that made me hold off as long as I did. However I sure am glad now that I finally got one.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Nope. I made me an excel sheet to calculate hdd versus bd-r storage of video and audio files. And just keeping all videos on a dlna server in the basement comes way cheaper for me than burning them to bd-r. Even if I don't count the time I'd need for authoring and burning them disks. A single 2TB hdd easily holds between one and three thousand videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
    Nope. I made me an excel sheet to calculate hdd versus bd-r storage of video and audio files. And just keeping all videos on a dlna server in the basement comes way cheaper for me than burning them to bd-r. Even if I don't count the time I'd need for authoring and burning them disks. A single 2TB hdd easily holds between one and three thousand videos.
    Well you can't really have a single 2TB HDD though. You need double that. In fact if you are always keeping stuff on HDD then you always need double the HDD space. Why? HDD's will die eventually so you need double, either one as a back-up or you use a RAID. Either way you need double.

That is ONE way of doing it. Nothing wrong with that but don't think you can get away without a RAID or a back-up.

Personally I'd rather do it the OTHER way which means copying them to BD-R's because I don't need instant access to movies and I have so many that I would need a whole server rack. Easier to just burn them off and pull them when needed (when you feel like watching the movie).

I do keep all my music on a HDD but it is a 2TB internal and I have a 2TB USB external that I routinely back it up to in case one (or the other) dies on me. I dont' want to lose my data.

If anyone keeps all there data on a HDD with no back-up or mirrored RAID then you are asking for trouble.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote