VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Just tried to hook up a Samsung HMX200 camcorder to my Bravia with the HDMI cable. The cam manual says it is set to 1080/50 which is PAL & I am in the UK, so that's ok. But when I plug the cam to the Bravia the figure 1080/60 keeps flashing up.

After a lot of googling I discovered 1080/60 is NTSC, so it looks like my set is configured to the wrong setting? All I get is black flickering screen when I plug the cam in.

Am I correct here & if so, is there a way to reconfigure the Bravia to PAL please?

It is a KDL-26U2000 model Bravia.

Thanks,

Ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    copy a video from the cam to your computer and use mediainfo (it's free) on it. change mediainfo to text mode and copy paste the results here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Expanding on what aedipuss says, the tv only reports the signal it recieves. The signal is set from the incoming device - in this case the camera.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    copy a video from the cam to your computer and use mediainfo (it's free) on it. change mediainfo to text mode and copy paste the results here.
    Thanks - hope this works!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsungdata_zpsbb4368a9.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	16112
    ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have anything else plugged in to the tv ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No - funnily enough I recently unhooked everything like dvd players from the back of the Bravia, with the exception of the Sky box of course.

Thanks,
    ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kr236rk View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No - funnily enough I recently unhooked everything like dvd players from the back of the Bravia, with the exception of the Sky box of course.

Thanks,
    And it goes without saying that if the tv was NOT Pal then you would get no signal from the Sky Box.

Can you try another Hdmi socket or even a different hdmi cable ?

But I think you should check the camera settings. It is recording in Pal50 but there may be some other obscure setting there.

I saw that with an Ipad. The camera recorded as Pal but was output an NTSC signal and that needed changing to show the pic on a tv.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

And it goes without saying that if the tv was NOT Pal then you would get no signal from the Sky Box.

Can you try another Hdmi socket or even a different hdmi cable ?

But I think you should check the camera settings. It is recording in Pal50 but there may be some other obscure setting there.

I saw that with an Ipad. The camera recorded as Pal but was output an NTSC signal and that needed changing to show the pic on a tv.
    Thanks,

O gosh. It's a very simple little camera & a very good one for a budget cam; & it only has two simple settings - 1080i/50 & 576p. The latter also flashes up on the Bravia so should be 100% compatible either way, but you just get the flickery black screen on the Bravia.

Nooo I haven't got another mini HDMI cable, oh my goodness, where is this leading us? Retailers rubbing their hands. I did hook up a laptop to the Bravia a year ago using the HDMI so it does work, but there is only one 'in' socket.

Why can't the industry get themselves sorted out before they release this technology on an unsuspecting public, it is chaos is it not?

Anyway, the Bravia says HDMI NTSC while the Samsung says HDMI PAL so I would think it it the Bravia which needs tweaking? But I don't know how.
    ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I have a Sony Bravia and AFAIK there is no NTSC setting.

I have a SkyHD box and when that is on I get 1080i on the screen and when the up-scaling dvd-recorder is on I get 1080p since that is what I set the recorder to. Note that in neither case do I see '50'

I was thinking of some tv-out setting on the camera rather than a recording setting.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well I have a Sony Bravia and AFAIK there is no NTSC setting.

I have a SkyHD box and when that is on I get 1080i on the screen and when the up-scaling dvd-recorder is on I get 1080p since that is what I set the recorder to. Note that in neither case do I see '50'

I was thinking of some tv-out setting on the camera rather than a recording setting.
    Thanks. Well 60Hz is NTSC & 50Hz is PAL, that's all I know.

Two things I notice in the manual (small print) is "Only a C to A type Mini HDMI cable can be used with this camcorder". I don't know what that means. It may just mean use only a cable with a mini + standard jack, not two minis or twin standards? Then it goes on to say: "Use only the HDMI 1.3 cable". I have no idea what that means either, I'm pretty sure my cable is 'generic' mini HDMI, so possibly it is the cable which is at fault .... NTSC cable? Groan.

Will update
    ric
    Quote Quote  
  11. Update: the A & C are listed here. A is male and C is mini / 1.3, so it looks as if I have the correct cable after all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Connectors
    ric
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have one question , its about format

1920*1080 is is NSTC 720*480 is NTSC

720*576 is PAL, what is the resolution for PAL HD ? is it 1920*1080, or is it something else
    the video is 1920*1080, but does the Bravia want to see something else ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The numbers mean the speed of transfer or the bandwidth supported (higher = faster/larger). If the cable came with the camera then you are fine. If it did not then you could have a 1.2 cable. 'Mini' means the size of the connector. Compare the one on the camera to the one on the tv and you will see the difference.

There is NO such thing as a NTSC cable.

Tell me the model of the camera so I can (hopefully) take a peek at the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The numbers mean the speed of transfer or the bandwidth supported (higher = faster/larger). If the cable came with the camera then you are fine. If it did not then you could have a 1.2 cable.
    Could well be then, I had no idea that there were separate 1.2 and 1.3 cables.

'Mini' means the size of the connector. Compare the one on the camera to the one on the tv and you will see the difference.
    Well yes, otherwise any connection at all between the cam and the tv would be, I should think, fraught to say the least?

There is NO such thing as a NTSC cable.
    That's one I can remove from the list then

Tell me the model of the camera so I can (hopefully) take a peek at the manual.
    Thanks. It's a Samsung HMX-H200. There were several versions of this cam but they all share the same basic manual. The cable did not come with the camcorder, and if as you say there are several types of HDMI cable there is the good chance that I have the wrong one. All it says on the cable is 'High Speed HDMI Cable', nothing else, no mention of 1.2 or 1.3 .
    ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The cable is 1.3. Only that spec supports the mini connector. Now let me try and find the manual.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the manual I found, there is a hdmi tv-out setting.

That should be set to 'Auto'
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    According to the manual I found, there is a hdmi tv-out setting.

That should be set to 'Auto'
    It was, yes. I can asure you I went through all the settings watching for any result, but the Bravia remained flickery like a disco strobe. Every now and then you caught a glimpse of the camcorder viewer in stripy psychedelic colours and then it was back to the black & white flickers again, and the jumpy figures ""1080" and so forth.
    ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then it really does appear to be a bad cable.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Then it really does appear to be a bad cable.
    Okay thanks. Will check out another cable from a better source, I can't remember where that one came from.

Later
    Quote Quote