VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I heard there is going to be a downloadable video rental service like Netflix but wondering if there is any available right now for videos from the 50s-70s or if not best sources to purchase the oldies videos?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nothing produced after Disney's Steamboat Willie (1928) will come out of Copyright until 2023. (And Disney is sure to make sure that Copyrights are extended again before that happens. So nothing made after 1928 will ever come out of Copyright.) That means there are no legal free sources of TV shows.

Netflix, Amazon and Hulu (free and paid) have some old TV shows. I've seen Dr. Who, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc. Archive.org has some public domain video, free for viewing and download.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a legal release, there's always Amazon. If you just do a search on the names of specific titles you want that are not yet released on DVD or BluRay, you can find private sellers who still sell these. Prices are variable but they're your only source. I've bought a few anaglyph 3D DVDs of 1950s sci fi movies this way. Roku has a few paid channels that stream movies from this time period but I've never paid for those channels so I can't say anything except that they exist. Ebay sometimes sells movies and TV shows on DVD that the seller may not have the legal right to sell, but those offers will go away as soon as the copyright holder finds them and complains, so they tend to pop up for short periods of time and then disappear just as quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I believe 1925 is the actual film copyright date where everything after it is generally still under copyright. I think jagabo is using Steamboat Willie as a reference point rather than meaning it to be an absolute marker.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am more looking towards the old music shows like Flip Wilson, Ed sullivan and American Bandstand, yeah I know, I am a dinosaur. Timelife has some good oldies videos but I am seeking one source where I can get the oldies so most likely I won't have to deal with volume level problems associated with purchasing individual music videos.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I believe 1925 is the actual film copyright date where everything after it is generally still under copyright. I think jagabo is using Steamboat Willie as a reference point rather than meaning it to be an absolute marker.
    I guess it's actually 1923. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd kill to get some copies of the Smothers Brothers TV shows in the 60s before the corporate stuffed shirts banned them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Before Borders went belly-up, I saw copies of SmothersBrothers, and other TV show series like you were looking for - on DVD, so I know they're available. And yes they are under copyright. Don't get me started about copyright! argh!!!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    I'd kill to get some copies of the Smothers Brothers TV shows in the 60s before the corporate stuffed shirts banned them.
    Ebay has some Smothers stuff on DVD
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about Smothers Brothers, but I have the Mill Creek issues of the old Robin Hood episodes that were transmitted during the 1950's.
    According to UK law, since it's been over fifty years since the first broadcast, they are now out of copyright.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 on Amazon. If it's been released on video, you'll likely find it there as a used item. The Best of Smothers Brothers Season 2 & 3 are avaialble. Don't be scared off by some of the prices (full retail or more if "rare"). Be patient and someone will likely list it for a reasonable rate.

Half.com used to be a great source for some great finds (1/2 price! ), but lately it seems to be too closely tied to Ebay (their affiliate / parent) and the prices have gone up significantly.

Open your horizons to overseas options. Do worldwide Ebay searches. There may be non-U.S. releases of some of the classics. Just have to watch for foreign dubbing (rare) and hard coded subs (rather likely unless on DVD).

Browse your local thrift shops, used book stores and library sales. One of my local used stores had boxed DVD sets of 50's / 60"s series for $1.98, same price as individual DVDs. They probably only had one price for DVDs and priced everything, single or multiples the same.

Visit Youtube and other video sites to see what's available. Look for distributor logo on the video or ask the uploader where they got it.

Finally, be patient! I find the hunt as much fun as the find! Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    Hey guys, I heard there is going to be a downloadable video rental service like Netflix but wondering if there is any available right now for videos from the 50s-70s or if not best sources to purchase the oldies videos?
    The 50-70's is "oldies"? .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    The 50-70's is "oldies"? .
    Not really seeing the point in your comment or why you seem to disagree. 1950 was 63 years ago. 1970 was 43 years ago. If that doesn't meet your definition of "oldies" then that's your problem.

Sanlyn's bizarre and pointless comment aside, lingyi has some really good advice. Also you can check Ebay but wait for your price. My brother taught me to just wait if the price seems too high as eventually it will come down and he's been right about that. I've noticed that out of print items often go through cycles and sometimes everybody who has it will want too much for it. If you wait some months, they won't be able to sell it and they'll eventually drop the price to more reasonable levels.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, I realize you are the all-knowing Wizard (we can see you behind that curtain) but if you're a classic movie buff, an "oldie" would pre-date the 1950's. If you're a TV fan, and oldie would mean the late 1940's to about 1960. Or if you're of the current generation it would mean 15 minutes ago or earlier.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:21.
    Quote Quote