VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 179
Thread
  1. Member RustyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to download a documentary from from PBS. So far I can only capture the commercial just before the beginning of the video. Can anyone suggest a way to bypass the commercial and capture the documentary, or capture both ? Something free to use.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is the video on the website flash or silverlight?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Stream Transport or Stream Hijacker. Depending on what PBS is using they may not work. If they don't work, most likely you'll have to use a commercial product like Replay Video Capture. If they are using Silverlight, I don't know any free tool that can capture such streams.
    Quote Quote  
  4. RTMP Explorer appears to work for video.pbs.org. I just used it to downloaded an episode of Nova.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    RTMP Explorer appears to work for video.pbs.org. I just used it to downloaded an episode of Nova.
    RustyBob - Try this suggestion first before you try what I suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member RustyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Search Comp PM
    Works great. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member Hal05154's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I tried RTMP Explorer also, but when I did, it just sat there and did nothing. If I understood it correctly, didn't this program pick up the streaming video automaticly and download it? Am I missing somthing? If anyone could offer some advice I'd sure appreciate it.

    Here is the video I wish to download.

    http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3105.html

    Thank you,

    Hal
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had no problem. Pasted the URL in into the browser window, waited for the page to load, pressed the play button.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	rtrmpex.jpg
Views:	18294
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	16238

    A few minutes later the file was complete.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member Hal05154's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm. Something tells me I have the wrong program. I have RTMPDumpHelper.exe, not rtmpsrv.exe. Or Explorer. Methinks I need to go look at the files again.

    Ah, looks like I only got half of what I needed. Wouldn't have caught it without your response. Thanks Jagabo! The img was a big help! Won't be able to do anything until later tonight, but I'll let you know how it goes.

    Hal
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    60565
    Search Comp PM
    PBS used RTMP last year. In 2013 they are using Adobe HDS streaming. This breaks up the video into hundreds of ten second files. There is a manifest file (.M3U8) file that lists all the (.TS) files that make up the video. You can find and copy the M3U8 URL by accessing the video in Firefox then before you click the forward button to start playing it, open a network debug window (Tools -> Web Developer -> Network). Click forward and then stop it as soon as it starts playing. You can then copy the URL from the Network window and paste the URL into ffmpeg or better avconv which understand the M3U8 format to download the stream. Example:

    avconv -i http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org/cove2.0/woodwrights-shop/e7b30a81-e9b6-4679-b829-13ca12424...-hls-800k.m3u8 wows3301800k.mp4

    Disclaimer: this works in Ubuntu linux. It is probably the same in windows.

    I am very happy with this procedure. For those that consider this piracy (I don't), consider that on a slow DSL line like mine, the only way to see these videos in high definition is to download the stream and replay it from the hard drive. On line playback from PBS is awful especially during network busy times.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by wb8nbs View Post
    PBS used RTMP last year. In 2013 they are using Adobe HDS streaming. This breaks up the video into hundreds of ten second files. There is a manifest file (.M3U8) file that lists all the (.TS) files that make up the video. You can find and copy the M3U8 URL by accessing the video in Firefox then before you click the forward button to start playing it, open a network debug window (Tools -> Web Developer -> Network). Click forward and then stop it as soon as it starts playing. You can then copy the URL from the Network window and paste the URL into ffmpeg or better avconv which understand the M3U8 format to download the stream. Example:

    avconv -i http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org/cove2.0/woodwrights-shop/e7b30a81-e9b6-4679-b829-13ca12424...-hls-800k.m3u8 wows3301800k.mp4

    Disclaimer: this works in Ubuntu linux. It is probably the same in windows.

    I am very happy with this procedure. For those that consider this piracy (I don't), consider that on a slow DSL line like mine, the only way to see these videos in high definition is to download the stream and replay it from the hard drive. On line playback from PBS is awful especially during network busy times.
    or you can download it directly from site just change hls-800k.m3u8 to mp4-800k.mp4
    Code:
    http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org/cove2.0/woodwrights-shop/e7b30a81-e9b6-4679-b829-13ca12424bad/2013-08-20-150756/hd-mezzanine-16x9/wows330143-16x9-mp4-800k.mp4
    credits: chapun67

    update: 2500k is the best quality
    Last edited by CristianoA; 2nd Jan 2014 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
  12. better
    Code:
    http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org/cove2.0/woodwrights-shop/e7b30a81-e9b6-4679-b829-13ca12424bad/2013-08-20-150756/hd-mezzanine-16x9/wows330143-16x9-mp4-1200k.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    60565
    Search Comp PM
    Wow thanks for the tips. Trying a 2500 D/L now. 800 was the highest resolution listed in the network capture.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by CristianoA View Post
    update: 2500k is the best quality
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    I too am attempting to capture PBS programming and I'm almost there. I have successfully been able to create a mp4 file using ffmpeg on the m3u8 file mentioned above. However, I am unable to discover the reference to the m3u8 file using the development tools for Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

    Any tips for determining the m3u8 url name would be appreciated. I am running MacOS.

    Or, has PBS changed their streaming techniques again?

    MG
    Quote Quote  
  16. ChristianoA.

    I was able to download the below video no problem when I just pasted into Firefox browser and download dialogue box comes up . Can you tell me with detailed screenshots how you were able to get the below link? I want to learn how to download the PBS Nature programs. What I find interesting is that (due to poor internet connection) I can barely access PBS website, and certainly cannot watch anything that plays smoothly from their website, but I can download the below video with no problem.


    Last edited by jimdagys; 28th Mar 2014 at 00:40.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    ChristianoA.

    I was able to download the below video no problem when I just pasted into Firefox browser and download dialogue box comes up . Can you tell me with detailed screenshots how you were able to get the below link? I want to learn how to download the PBS Nature programs. What I find interesting is that (due to poor internet connection) I can barely access PBS website, and certainly cannot watch anything that plays smoothly from their website, but I can download the below video with no problem.


    Hi. You're asking pretty much the same thing I asked above. However, detailed screen shots will probably not help here. Getting the address of the m3u8 file requires a bit of development knowledge. There are many ways of getting this file location. All will differ depending on what operating system and browser.

    My question was, is the process listed a few month ago still valid? I've been checking the Network 'Gets' using various browser development tools and I have failed to see any references to a m3u8 file. I see a reference to a mp4 file but it is the 30 second ad PBS places before the show.

    MG
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by MarkSawSust View Post
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    ChristianoA.

    I was able to download the below video no problem when I just pasted into Firefox browser and download dialogue box comes up . Can you tell me with detailed screenshots how you were able to get the below link? I want to learn how to download the PBS Nature programs. What I find interesting is that (due to poor internet connection) I can barely access PBS website, and certainly cannot watch anything that plays smoothly from their website, but I can download the below video with no problem.


    Hi. You're asking pretty much the same thing I asked above. However, detailed screen shots will probably not help here. Getting the address of the m3u8 file requires a bit of development knowledge. There are many ways of getting this file location. All will differ depending on what operating system and browser.

    My question was, is the process listed a few month ago still valid? I've been checking the Network 'Gets' using various browser development tools and I have failed to see any references to a m3u8 file. I see a reference to a mp4 file but it is the 30 second ad PBS places before the show.

    MG
    hi i'm using two addons for firefox

    user agent switcher install it and change user agent to iPhone 3.0
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

    and for urls sniffing i'm using adblock plus
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    CristianoA,
    Thanks! It seems to be just what I needed!

    MG
    Quote Quote  
  20. denobisipsis,
    I downloaded the software you linked, but was unable to figure out how to use it. Can you give some instructions with screenshots?
    Useful would be to use an actual pbs program as an example and show how to download it with your software.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    denobisipsis,
    I downloaded the software you linked, but was unable to figure out how to use it. Can you give some instructions with screenshots?
    Useful would be to use an actual pbs program as an example and show how to download it with your software.
    I googled that .exe file and could only see references to it in a Google+ page in a non-Englidh language. These days you have to be careful what you run on your computer. I ignored it and decided not to download it. My apologies to denobisipsis if I miscalculated.

    MG
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cumberland, MD
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm having trouble finding the reference for the m3U8 on this video. Somebody show me what I am missing, tried it in both chrome and ff. Here is the link to the video:

    http://video.mpt.tv/video/2358829766/
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
    Okay, I'm having trouble finding the reference for the m3U8 on this video. Somebody show me what I am missing, tried it in both chrome and ff. Here is the link to the video:

    http://video.mpt.tv/video/2358829766/
    Try starting with this URL:

    http://video.pbs.org/video/2358829766/
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cumberland, MD
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I still am not seeing any reference to the actual file location though. I'll keep looking.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
    Thanks. I still am not seeing any reference to the actual file location though. I'll keep looking.
    If you follow CristianoA's instructions from March 30, you'll find it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Former Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
    Thanks. I still am not seeing any reference to the actual file location though. I'll keep looking.
    You're using firefox with adblock+ and the user agent setting? It shows straight away.
    Last edited by blimey; 5th Apr 2014 at 07:15.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cumberland, MD
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake, forgot the second plugin. Can I just use firefox to download the mp4, or is ffmpeg/aconv the only way to get the file?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by blimey View Post
    Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
    Thanks. I still am not seeing any reference to the actual file location though. I'll keep looking.
    You're using firefox with adblock+ and the user agent setting? It shows straight away;
    Code:
    http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org/videos/mpt-specials/1360e168-b762-4560-8d2f-62ac3c09b956/20005/hd-mezzanine-16x9/Our_Town_Cumberland-16x9-mp4-2500k.mp4
    Blimey,
    How did you get the high-res version (2500k)? When I run the above, I get the low-res version (800k).
    Code:
    http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org/videos/mpt-specials/1360e168-b762-4560-8d2f-62ac3c09b956/20005/hd-mezzanine-16x9/Our_Town_Cumberland-16x9-hls-64-800k.m3u8
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by monkeyhouserodge View Post
    My mistake, forgot the second plugin. Can I just use firefox to download the mp4, or is ffmpeg/aconv the only way to get the file?
    I use ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads