VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have looked a lot through Google and have not found a definite method or answer I am in the market for a Blu-ray burner, as i would like to back up the 1.7 TB of anime i have. I just lost a terabyte of anime last week due to drive failure and was quite crushed by it

So i have come to the best community to ask, What bluray burner should i get?, *What software will allow me to burn the anime without losing an ounce of quality( the largest file i currently have is Akira about 22GB) also must allow me to create menus and order chapters if their is non present, How should i got about printing the covers for burned bluray discs?

To sum it up:
    I would like to be able to burn the anime without any quality loss and create menus for them.Then place them in bluray cases. I will create the covers for the cases in Photoshop and print them.

Sorry for the grammar and spelling is no that great, English is my second language

Not sure what the right section is...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you planning to watch it on a computer, or a Blu-Ray/standalone media player? If you're going to watch it on a computer, why not just burn it to standard (Blu-Ray) data discs? That way, you're guaranteed not to lose any quality.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to be able to watch on both, i just want to be able to preserve my collection with out the risk of failure. I have no idea were to begin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which player do you have (or want to be able to watch the videos on)? A number of Blu-Ray players will also play HD video from MKVs/MP4s, and still have some support for AVI.

I can't say a Blu-Ray disc might not eventually fail, someday, though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have nothing yet, I am looking to buy everything(burner ,player ,bluray dics, cases for bluray) that will allow me to do this but not sure what is good and what is bad.

All the files i have are mkv and some anime are 10bit( is this going to be a problem?).

Can a bluray disc fail just by sitting their?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arsh231 View Post
    I have nothing yet, I am looking to buy everything(burner ,player ,bluray dics, cases for bluray) that will allow me to do this but not sure what is good and what is bad.
    Darn; I was hoping someone else might add to the discussion, as I'm probably not a good person to ask when it comes to buying hardware. Also, I've been a little busy.

In terms of a player, though, do you picture yourself playing many commercial Blu-Ray discs? I should note that while many of the Blu-Ray players can play video files (MKV and others) from data discs, they're still not guaranteed to play everything. Just because they can play MKV, for example, they don't handle every possible thing that can be included in an MKV container. I think .ass subtitle support (often used to create a lot of styled subtitles in various positions, and possibly with various effects) is extremely basic, or nonexistent, on hardware players. (It may not go through the conversion process well, either, I think.)

If you're not going to use the player for commercial Blu-Ray discs, you might actually be better off getting a media player, like something from the WDTV or Popcorn Hour lines, etc. I'm not sure how well either of those handles HD video, though.
    ...however, the only hardware absolutely guaranteed to handle and play everything would be your computer.

You can convert, but converting/re-encoding WILL cause a quality hit. Whether or not that's acceptable to you, you would have to judge by looking at the results.

All the files i have are mkv and some anime are 10bit( is this going to be a problem?).
    Possibly. I don't think any hardware out there (other than computers) has support for 10-bit video.

Can a bluray disc fail just by sitting their?
    I couldn't say for sure. It's possible, probably. But we can only really guess right now, because the discs haven't been on the market for that many years. If making sure your data survives in storage is a priority, then you might consider making multiple disc (and even hard drive) backups of everything, with recovery records (PAR, etc.) for the data on each disc, and store them in a safe place... then create new backups every few years or so.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have decided i will only use computer as a playback. So any idea which bluray burner i should get? I am look for one that can do it as quick as possible. Also just to make sure, if i burn a bluray data disc the computer can view the files and watch them right? Which software should i be using?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arsh231 View Post
    Sorry for the grammar and spelling is no that great, English is my second language
    NOTHING pisses me off quite like false modesty, which I view as lying.

You know good and well that your English is excellent and your mistakes are few. Seriously - native speakers who post here don't write as well as you do.

Stop apologizing. If you make mistakes, you make mistakes. Again, some of the native speakers here are worse than you and they don't go around apologizing for it.

If you're going to burn to BluRay as a storage method I would only trust Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden as being able to last a long time.

My experience is that Pioneer makes the best BluRay burners. Buy those if you can. Everything else is less good.

Burn ONLY with the free ImgBurn program.

Your computer will likely not be able to play the files unless you have BluRay player software. Arcsoft's Total Media Theater is the best. Everything else is much worse. VLC has some ability to play BluRay discs, but there are no guarantees. It's free if you want to try it. If you are running Windows XP or Windows 2000 then you will need to install the free UDFReader program or you will have problems with your PC reading the discs you burn. Vista and Windows 7 don't need that installed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Your computer will likely not be able to play the files unless you have BluRay player software. Arcsoft's Total Media Theater is the best. Everything else is much worse. VLC has some ability to play BluRay discs, but there are no guarantees. It's free if you want to try it. If you are running Windows XP or Windows 2000 then you will need to install the free UDFReader program or you will have problems with your PC reading the discs you burn. Vista and Windows 7 don't need that installed.
    That's only if the OP is going to create Blu-Ray video discs from the files. At the moment, what's being considered is data discs of HD video files, which he's already playing on that computer.
    Quote Quote