VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the best way to synchronize audio with the video? Which software do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. A visual clap is good.

Corel Video Studio X5.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can manually sync it in an editor

or an automated option is Plural Eyes
    http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/pluraleyes/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    A visual clap is good.

Corel Video Studio X5.
    Thanks so much! What do you do if you forget to clap...? Thanks!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can manually sync it in an editor

or an automated option is Plural Eyes
    http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/pluraleyes/
    Is there a great tutorial online for the manual sync?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here's a guide to doing it using AviSynth:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=167033

Me, I just use my eyes and ears.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    You need to be MUCH more specific.
    People here are assuming you used a video camera to record something from a distance....and also had an audio recording device recording THE EXACT SAME SCENE but in closer proximity.....is this correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can get free clapper apps for your Android tablet or iPad.

But if you ALREADY did a shoot without synchronization, you will have to add both A+V from your camera and A from your separate audio recorder and load them both into an NLE, put them BOTH into the timeline (for each set of clips) and zoom in until you can see the waveforms. Then try to match the waveforms. Unless they're coming from the same source, they'll never look exactly alike (especially if one is nearer), but you can often see when the onset/rise of a certain wave is starting at the same time in both tracks (you just shift one track earlier or later, leaving the other alone). Shift in Large increments (seconds), then in increasingly smaller increments (frames, quarter frames, milliseconds, samples) to fine-tune it.

There is a reason the pros do it that way - you just found out why, and I bet you won't forget again...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    You need to be MUCH more specific.
    People here are assuming you used a video camera to record something from a distance....and also had an audio recording device recording THE EXACT SAME SCENE but in closer proximity.....is this correct?
    You are right!
    I have photographed a wedding on the beach. My wife has filmed at the same time. I have put a microphone on the groom. Not the bride beacause her dress didn't allow me to hide it for abvious reasons. I have recorded the sound through my Zoom voice recorder. I have set up two DSLRs on tripods on both sides of the bride and groom and my wife recorded the wedidng ceremony. It was a beach wedding with considerable wind noise in the background. The two cameras were 10-15 feet away from the bride and groom. What I have is the voice and video recorded by the DSLRs. I haven't out an external mic on the DSLRs because of the wind noise. I have relied on the Zoom entirely.

Let me know if you need more details!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You can get free clapper apps for your Android tablet or iPad.

But if you ALREADY did a shoot without synchronization, you will have to add both A+V from your camera and A from your separate audio recorder and load them both into an NLE, put them BOTH into the timeline (for each set of clips) and zoom in until you can see the waveforms. Then try to match the waveforms. Unless they're coming from the same source, they'll never look exactly alike (especially if one is nearer), but you can often see when the onset/rise of a certain wave is starting at the same time in both tracks (you just shift one track earlier or later, leaving the other alone). Shift in Large increments (seconds), then in increasingly smaller increments (frames, quarter frames, milliseconds, samples) to fine-tune it.

There is a reason the pros do it that way - you just found out why, and I bet you won't forget again...

Scott
    No, I won't, I am afraid... LOL!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I'll piggy-back on the thread, since I have a similar question.

Someone I know bought a second-hand Panasonic camcorder. While the video is good, the audio isn't.

As a cheaper alternative to getting a wifi microphone, I was wondering if he could just get a voice recorder, run a clapper app when starting, and sync both streams using eg. AviSynth (At $300, PluralEyes is too pricey). Does it work well?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Y.A.L.I.,
    Yes, I own a Zoom H4N myself, which (at the time I bought it) was the top of their voice recorder line. You can do the steps I mentioned and get dead-on sync, though I recommend that you break your clips up slightly (<1 Hour each) and sync each so you don't have Drift Buildup. Have done this for semi-pro shoots and it works great.

FYI: Make sure to put your Voice Recorder in a position that is optimal for SOUND, not for PICTURE. You'd be surprised how many people don't take advantage of that.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info.

Is there a voice recorder you would recommend below $100? I guess I'd like one that has a unidirectional mic so as not to pick up ambient noise.

I'm also concerned about cellphone signals: The Tascam DR-40 I own picks them up when recording in a place with thick walls (so cellphones are trying harder to connect → when possible, I have to ask people close by to switch to Airplane mode.)

And what's the difference between SOUND and PICTURE modes? Does it mean today's voice recorders also have a digital camera, and can be used to also record video → much bigger files?
    Quote Quote  
  14. @yetanotherpiggyback
    Is there a voice recorder you would recommend below $100? I guess I'd like one that has a unidirectional mic so as not to pick up ambient noise.
    Not much choice below $100 – unless you're open to buy second-hand. The Zoom H1 is often recommended in that price range, it's said to have quite good microphones in a XY pattern (from what I could understand it provides a better stereo image than mics facing forward, and makes the recording more directional than mics facing sideways). But it's also criticized for its cheap build quality.

As for cell phones : put a prominent sign saying that Chuck Norris has been charged with the task of kicking anyone carrying an active cell phone out of the party. Problem solved.

And what's the difference between SOUND and PICTURE modes? Does it mean today's voice recorders also have a digital camera, and can be used to also record video → much bigger files?
    Some models include a video recording feature, but that's not a majority, as dedicated audio recorders are specialized devices made for that particular purpose. And on those few models which do have video recording capability, the quality isn't exactly stellar. I had the opportunity to purchase a brand new Zoom Q2HD at the price of a second-hand unit, it turns out that it has a very good audio quality, but a seriously substandard video quality, definitely inferior to that of the Panasonic ZS3/TZ7 compact camera I used to use, which was released more than 10 years ago. It's a shame because with a decent video quality, on par with a current entry-level camera, it would have been a great little all-purpose device. For approximately the same price the Zoom H2n might be a better deal since it has two more microphones and a much better autonomy.
    I'm not sure what “Cornucopia” meant either (“position” in the sense of physical location or in the sense of a dial position on the device itself ?). He most likely meant that many people who have a dedicated audio recorder place it close to their video recording device(s), which defeats most of their purpose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, I meant you need to put the voice recorder (specifically the mics) near the voice. NEAR. Like almost on top of.
    It’s not for nothing that the best stage miking these days are headsets with the mic just a few inches from the mouth.

Scott
    Quote Quote