VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently been reading multiple sources stating information about the new H.264 video codec (HEVC).
    This new codec is apparently going to be revolutionary, taking video quality to half the size (while at the same time having slightly better quality) [comparing to h.264) ...

Wondering if anyone out there has any information on it, such as release dates, licensing, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "licensing"
    licensing infos will probably be on the MPEG-LA page once the codec is completly finalized. (atm. final draft is committed by not accepted)

"release dates"
    there's a reference encoder (slow as hell like all reference encoders): http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166586
    (also interesting: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165673)

Other than that, it will probably take some time before anyone offers a use able HEVC codec and probably a year or more to get a good HEVC encoder. (was the same with H.264)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And how long to get h.265 support in open source software? There still aren't a lot of decent open source h.264 editors around.

Forgive me, but I can't really get excited about 3840p × 2160p video. Most people can't see all the detail on their 1080p screens now. For someone with average 20:20 vision, at the average viewing distance of 9 feet, you need a 70" screen to see all the standard HD detail. What's the point of quadrupling resolution?

H.265 may well have a lot of nifty encoding parameters but if, like me, you're not inclined to be a serious video geek, that's just going to make it even harder to use than h.264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hoser rob
    What's the point of quadrupling resolution?
    It might not be the resolution potential that could make this worthwhile but the file size potential.

If all things being equal you could get the same quality output at a lower file size it would be worth it. Eventually that is as hardware and software matures to the point of using it efficiently. As you said h264 editing is still growing but at least its possible.

But if you could make a same quality 720p file with less file size than that could be worth it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    But if you could make a same quality 720p file with less file size than that could be worth it.
    Yep, it would be very good for streaming services. I want to 1080p movie streaming support now. Most uses 720p because 1080p requires too much bandwidth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Yep, it would be very good for streaming services. I want to 1080p movie streaming support now. Most uses 720p because 1080p requires too much bandwidth.
    I didn't think about that. Cnet has posted articles about wanting either higher bandwidth or better compression to improve watching video online. This would certainly fit the bill.

What I wonder is if it got to the point where the overhead for the video was small enough that they could finally offer second audio tracks on online videos. That would mean you could finally do commentary tracks on streaming videos. You never have that option on vudu or amazon instant video.

Thats one of the reasons I've never bought just a online version of a movie. If I buy a movie I usually want SOME kind of bonus with it.

They are doing more with offering featurretes finally on many online services but I have yet seen one that offers director commentary. Maybe somebody can point that out if they have started to do that.

Edit - @baldrick - check out VUDU - they have 108op with the "HDX" option and 7.1 to boot - dolby digital plus of course but still - oh and vudu does support 3d if youre into that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. And how long to get h.265 support in open source software? There still aren't a lot of decent open source h.264 editors around.
    ... and H.265 will not be easier to edit ...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Edit - @baldrick - check out VUDU - they have 108op with the "HDX" option and 7.1 to boot - dolby digital plus of course but still - oh and vudu does support 3d if youre into that.
    I need a american credit card for a vudu account....and probably a US proxy to be able to access it from sweden.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Jan 2013 at 05:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by baldrick
    I need a american credit card for a vudu account....and probably a US proxy to be able to access it from sweden. I need a american credit card for a vudu account....and probably a US proxy to be able to access it from sweden.
    I"m surprised they don't take paypal - or do they?
    Quote Quote  
  10. It is not about money, it is about country you are allowed to watch it from.
    Quote Quote