VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    here's a Pal dvd (25 fps) of a 24 fps American film, but they maintained the original running time. Actors voices were not sped up. Is there some kind of pulldown achieved by interlacing?
    I ask partly out of curiosity, and partly in case I want to make an xvid or Ntsc conversion with Avisynth.
    It is TFF, but the first few frames of sample are dodgy because (I'm guessing) it's where the sample begins. Used Dvdshrink.
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't looked at the clip but yes, you can use pulldown to convert 24p to 25i and retain the original running time.

I've seen the clip now. It uses field blending, not 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown. Bob and use SRestore().
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks. I tried running the sample thru dgindex with and without honoring flags and got the same result. I was hoping it could be restored to 24 fps without deinterlacing.
    For deinterlacing, is there a special setting to be added to bring it back to 24 fps? I tried yadif(mode=0), as well as yadif(mode=1).srestore, but neither was smooth.
    Quote Quote  
  4. For deinterlacing, is there a special setting to be added to bring it back to 24 fps? I tried yadif(mode=0), as well as yadif(mode=1).srestore, but neither was smooth.
    it's top field first

so if you were using yadif, you need to use yadif(mode=1, order=1).srestore

by default , yadif assumes order=0 (bff)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used "AssumeTFF" before yadif.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I used "AssumeTFF" before yadif.

AssumeTFF
    Yadif(order=1, mode=1)

is different than

AssumeTFF
    Yadif(order=0, mode=1)

If you didn't specify order parameter in yadif, it assumes order=0. Since this comes after AssumeTFF, BFF is the new field order for yadif . All operations after yadif will use TFF, but yadif itself will be using BFF

Some deinterlacers don't have an order parameter, they take whatever you used with AssumeBFF or AssumeTFF (or avisynth's internal value). Examples are bob(), qtgmc(), many others.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ^EDIT: actually I made a mistake

yadif default order value is -1, not 0, so that's avisynth's internal value, whatever was assumed (BFF unless otherwise specified)

So - it should work with AssumeTFF().Yadif(mode=1).srestore

Are you saying it's not working? (it's normal to have a few blends , srestore isn't "perfect")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought AssumeTFF would carry onto the next line, and that's all that yadif would have to work with.
    Turns out to be moot in this case as I rechecked my script and yadif was set to order=1.
    I had smoothness issues with just yadif.
    The issue I'm having with this script is action in frames look blurred. Is that the blends you mention?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I haven't looked at the clip but yes, you can use pulldown to convert 24p to 25i and retain the original running time.

I've seen the clip now. It uses field blending, not 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown. Bob and use SRestore().
    once field blended, the original frames cannot be recovered?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I thought AssumeTFF would carry onto the next line, and that's all that yadif would have to work with.
    Turns out to be moot in this case as I rechecked my script and yadif was set to order=1.
    I had smoothness issues with just yadif.
    The issue I'm having with this script is action in frames look blurred. Is that the blends you mention?
    Yes, those are the blends jagabo mentioned. This is a field blended conversion PAL=>NTSC

It's normal to have smoothness issues with yadif(mode=1, order=1) alone, because that bob deinterlaces to 59.94p . So not only will you have field (now frame) blending, you will also have repeats. That's what srestore is for: it attempts to pick the "good" frames, and decimates the frame rate back to the 23.976 (what the original filmrate was before converting to PAL)

once field blended, the original frames cannot be recovered?
    You can never do a 100% job, but srestore can usually do a 90-100% job of picking frames.

Moreover, this will have been deinterlaced (loss of resolution, deinterlacing artifact), so it will never be equal in quality to the original NTSC version . These are reason IMO, you should use a better deinterlacer than yadif
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can try QTGMC on my newer PC, and see how that looks. In this case, there is no original Ntsc dvd available - just a Pal dvd of the film.
    Thanks, poisondr and jagabo!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I can try QTGMC on my newer PC, and see how that looks. In this case, there is no original Ntsc dvd available - just a Pal dvd of the film.
    Thanks, poisondr and jagabo!
    Look, you've been a long time member so of course this may be exactly right, but if it was me, I'd mention the name of the film just in case somebody out there knew something about it that I didn't. But if you'd prefer to be all mysterious about it, that's your decision. You just take away the ability of anybody to provide information that you might not have when you do that.
    Quote Quote