VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. One of my clients wants some of their footage encoded to mp4 so they can watch it on their tv through their pc. I guess they're playing the file on their pc and the monitor being the TV. So anyways, I've never done this before. the file was shot with a 3D camera so when I look at the footage with my un3D setup it looks like 2 panels playing the same video. if I encode it will all the 3D "stuff" stay true for my client? or do I have to use a special program? I was just going to use handbrake. I'm doing it more as a favor and a learning curve for myself.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Does your client have a 3D TV?

Anyway, what you are describing sounds like a side-by-side 3D video. The left and right panels are offset slightly from one another. In my 3D setup, I have to manually set the TV to SBS (Side-by-Side) mode so that the video plays properly. Then I put on my glasses and sit back and enjoy the show. BTW, I have the passive glasses (the same ones used in movie theaters). Mind you, I almost always play my video from Blu-ray. I have never played any videos directly from the PC to the TV.

Encoding the video should not change any of the 3D "stuff." I'm sure that 3D YouTube uploads get reconverted all the time from their native file formats.

Brainiac
    Last edited by Brainiac; 14th Jan 2013 at 18:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    he'll need 1920x1080 side by side or over/under for decent 3d on a tv. use mediainfo on what you have for a source in text mode and copy/paste the results here. it may already be usable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. my client does have a 3D TV, alright aedipuss I'll get the info tonight when I'm back home
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    he'll need 1920x1080 side by side or over/under for decent 3d on a tv. use mediainfo on what you have for a source in text mode and copy/paste the results here. it may already be usable.
    Mediainfo won't say anything about 3D layout modes. But likely the input file is SbS (though could be T/B aka Over/Under).

Yes, the 3D mode on the TV/Monitor will have to be engaged manually, unless the PC player happens to be Stereoscopic Player (and it has been pre-adjusted to output to HDMI 1.4 output with SEI messaging). If that were the case, SP would be automatically telling the TV to go into (the correct) 3D mode. Normally, that is not the case.

AFA encoding goes, choose the options that provide for the least artifacting with the best horizontal resolution. Compression artifacts in 3D are particularly annoying, because it isn't likely that a specific kind of artifact is precisely co-sited in both views. Therefore, you get "sparkles" due to retinal rivalry. Sparkles should only be occuring when you actually have a subject that is sparkling, like water/metal/diamonds, etc.
    So, give your encode a higher-than-normal bitrate.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't say mediainfo would give 3d layout, but the o.p. already mentioned that " it looks like 2 panels playing the same video". sounds like sbs or ou to me and if it's 1080p mp4 it may already be good to go.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    true.
    Quote Quote