VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got an LG 3D Blu Ray Player last week. It is terrific. I have been watching a/v files on my Mom's 20" 480p HDTV. I have been thinking of getting a new television for awhile now. I decided to get a 24 inch model. I am kind of attracted to an Insignia TV I noticed at Future Shop Canada:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/insignia-insignia-24-1080p-60hz-led-hdtv-ns-24e340a13-ns-24e340a13/10189288.aspx?path=f10724c3ce6aa5344273285d3bd60c0 cen02

It seems to be a pretty good set and the price is great. I know the old addage, "You Get What You Pay For"; I hope that isn't true in this case. It has all the features I want. Here is a link to the other TVs that are similar:

http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?path=ca77b9b4beca91fe414314b86b b581f8en20&q=%252a&sp=FS_en-CA_Product_Collection_Site-WideSP&Facet=cFSMCCPCatalogenCAPresentationHierarc hy1%2523%2523-1%2523%2523-1%257e%257eq2a%257e%257ecFSMCCPCatalogenCA29879%25 23%25236%2523%252333%257e%257enf247%257c%257c32302 0746f20323920696e6368&viewall=true&targetCategory= 29879

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want to use this TV as a computer monitor as well.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 15th Jan 2013 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sony
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LG but a damn sight bigger than you are looking at.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    I want to use this TV as a computer monitor as well.
    Make sure it has a pixel-for-pixel display mode with no overscan.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I decided to take a chance on the Insignia. I looked in the specs and it has a native 1920 x 1080p resolution. I like that you can hook a headphone up to it. I appreciate it has component and composite input as well. I read some additional reviews over at BestBuy Canada and most people like this television after they get it configured. I figure for the price even if it isn't perfect and our house being so small that I should get some pretty good value for the money. I will be sure to write a review. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So I'm guessing you bought that LG 3D Blu-ray player NOT for it's 3D capabilities, because NONE of those models of TV/Monitor are 3D capable.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Cornucopia: The fact the LG Blu Player can play 3D, I consider a bonus for way down the line. I can wait for 3D TVs to become affordable. I bought it mostly because it can play several different file formats. I tested out playing an .flv file on a thumb drive yesterday and that turned out better than what I was expecting. 3D TVs are very expensive and they may evolve as the price drops to even be better than what they are now. I really like the way I can highlight a file on the hard drive and the full file name scrolls across. The LG Blu Ray player is a big leap forward compared to my Phillips Divx Ultra Player. I haven't even bought my first Blu Ray disc yet. I am pretty content at the moment watching DVDs and watching a/v files from a hard drive. It was a good day to check Future Shop Canada out, because on a lark I decided to see if there were any usb portable hard drives on sale and I can get a Seagate 2 TB one for $99.95 a savings of 30 bucks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I got a 47" LG 3D tv this summer for less than a grand. That seems pretty affordable now. I've seen some Vizio 42" 3DTVs (though I'm not a fan of Vizio anymore) going for $500-600...

My guess is that it might not be worth it to include 3D on displays less than 32" partly because of greater chipset costs and partly because you wouldn't notice the 3D effect on a <32" very much at all unless you were a good deal closer to the display.

But forward thinking is always a good idea! Start getting your BD3D discs now so you'll have a collection already by the time you've gotten the display. I noticed that this holiday season there were starting to be GOOD deals on some 3DBDs ($14.99 & $19.99 as opposed to the regular $34.99 & $39.99). So I bought a number for the family (only good titles, mind you).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Cornucopia: I hope you are enjoying the 47 inch 3D TV. It is probably pretty awesome watching a movie in 3D. It must be especially nice now that you don't have to wear the glasses. I imagine holographic television is the only thing left beyond the Super HD and the Super Duper HD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    Cornucopia: The fact the LG Blu Player can play 3D, I consider a bonus for way down the line. I can wait for 3D TVs to become affordable.
    Fair enough, but if you're buying $120 (US) TVs, then
    1) Your definition of "affordable" might be lower than a lot of people's.
    2) You might be in for a LONG wait.

I recently got a 3D Visio HDTV for about $530 (US) and I think it's great.

I had some of the same questions as Cornucopia, but I decided I didn't feel like bringing it up. He's just trying to make sure you do know. You do, so no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. jman98: Well for right now it the best I can afford. Ideally I would like to do get a 3D TV. I had to balance things out, with what I can afford now and dream about for down the line. I am glad you are enjoying your 3D television. As neat as 3D must be, I am prepared to wait. It is encouraging to see the prices are dropping. Thank you, I know that you and cornocopia are advising me well. I got thinking that even if the TV isn't ideal if may bridge me until I get something better and in addition my Mom's 480p TV must be at least 5 years old and I can give her this one if it konks out at some point.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 14th Jan 2013 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, it IS awesome watching it in 3D (when the program is well-made to begin with). The Olympics were wonderful, my 3DBDs are great (hugo, tintin, brave, abe lincoln v.h., harry potter 7&8, up, etc), and my 3D camera also works splendidly both alone and in combination. The LG internal media player app is pretty decent.

Note, however, it will be a long time before AFFORDABLE autostereoscopic 3D (the kind you can watch without glasses) will be available to mass consumers. My Fuji W3 has a wonderful lenticular screen where I can see what I'm shooting/have shot in 3D without glasses, but it only works for 1 person at a time and only when they're looking STRAIGHT ON, DEAD AHEAD (and about arm's length), and also NOT in bright light. Doing so for multiple viewers requires either generating MULTIPLE views (probably >9, likely 16-25 for larger audience) which would greatly enlarge the bandwidth requirements (and this can't really be interpolated in realtime), or by using Integral Imaging (which recreates the whole lightfield both vertically & horizontally) which is a completely different way of working with imaging, not unlike holography, and also requiring IMMENSE bandwidth. Both of those latter 2 are still clearly in the lab stages for realtime, HD-quality, full-color, motion imaging. Think 25+ years...

No, My LG uses Passive (Circular) polarized lenses on the glasses. This means my HD quality isn't actually FULL HD (more like 1920x540 or 960x1080), but I don't notice missing it. The 3D effect kind of more than makes up for that loss anyway. I got the passive so I can have guests at my house be able to watch along easily (I've got ~40 pairs of compatible glasses from the RealD theatre showings). Plus no battery charging worries. Wasn't worried about the flicker either way. And I've already made a number of 3D converts just from my showings.

AFA the future is concerned, I think there will be improvements to 3D, but once the infrastructure is there, SuperHD will be a draw. However, it won't be as big a consumer draw as many marketers would like, for the same reason that Super HiDef audio is only a niche market (it will, however, be a BIG draw for some producers)...
    No, I think the next advance in imaging is now going to be focused more with HDR- and HigherFPS-capable displays.

Scott

edit: If $120 is your budget, ANYTHING that looks good at 1080p 24"(and doesn't crap out on you too soon) is a good deal for the money. However, I would agree with the previous posters who favored Sony or LG, even if they cost a little more.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14th Jan 2013 at 14:35.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. SONY. But the Vizio's a good buy, too. I don't know about PC use, though. You can set up pretty good color with an LG, but can't get good black levels. But, then, who cares about black levels? Most people play HDTV in volcano mode anyway. Enjoy your purchase.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Never have had any trouble setting up Black levels, Gamma or anything else on my LG. Always used reference tests (including metering when available). Maybe you had a dud previously. As we've discussed before, can happen to the best of them, these days.

The Insignias aren't known for their exhaustive feature set, but I don't think they are bottom of the barrel either. Couldn't say about PC-compatibility, though. Try before you buy...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Black levels on LG ain't that great. I'm talking about their ISF setup. Blacks aren't as "black" as some others with LG. LG has always been that way. That way in the past, that way today, that way tomorrow (likely). Why LG can get great blacks out of their own PC monitors and panels they make for other brands, but only get darkish gray out of their own TV's, is a mystery. You measure absolute black level output. The difference is perceived crispness of image. In a dark room, LG's black have a visible satin mist to them, not deep black. I've set up a lot of them

At least it's better than a Sharp (yikes!).

But suit yourselves.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I am curious when it comes to watching a 3D movie, is there a huge difference in lets say "Avatar" which was filmed in 3D to begin with, and these older 2D Hollywood features which have been converted to 3D. James Cameron released "Titanic" recently in 3D. Would you say that is worth it to take a 2D epic like "Titanic" and converting it to 3D; did they do a good job?

Also is it a good idea for me to take the URL's I posted and process them through the TinyURL website so people don't have to scroll? I am not sure what the rules in that regard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends TOTALLY on both the quality of the original 3D shooting/editing/compositing on the one hand, and the quality (+cost+timespent) of the 2D->3D conversion on the other, though I have a preference for Native3D shooting (or Combined Native+CGI+SomeConversion).

In the 2D->3D case of Wrath of the Titans & Last Airbender & some others - it sucked. S.W. Ep1 wasn't that great either.
    On the other hand, Titantic, Green Hornet, the Avengers, Captain America - they were GREAT! (I now have all those discs). And Pirhanna3D was so bad it was GOOD!

But if you want to see a few examples what 3D can blossom into, see Hugo & Life Of Pi.

AFA TinyURL, it helps, but isn't a requirement. It would have helped if you hadn't used such a big font.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Cornucopia: Thank you for this information. It is good to know that James Cameron was able to get Titanic converted to 3D and that it looks good. I corrected the font and now no scrowling is necessary; I would of never thought of changing the font.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I just got the Insignia 24" 1080p LED TV today. I have attached it to the HDMI cable coming out of the back of my computer. I am not having much luck so far. I have my background picture of my desktop with no icons in the middle of the screen surrounded on all sides by black. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I was able to figure it out. I had to go into the computer display settings and fool around until it appeared the way it is suppose to.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Not to go too far OT, but...

LG uses their IPS panels for their Cinema 3D models.

Viewing angle is quite good for an LED/LCD. Color is good and the set can be finely calibrated. Blacks, however, are not great. With the reflective screen, "glossy" does seem to describe it. My 65" LG has a native contrast ratio of 1,600:1 before calibration. Not impressive but not terrible either. Since I rarely view it with my home theater totally dark, it's good enough, and I don't regret buying it. Passive 3D is terrific on my set, better than any RealD theater I've been in.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote