VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My setup is a VHS-C VCR/camcorder (PAL) ->(svideo/composite cable depending on cam)-> tbc1000 ->(svideo cable) advc100 -> DV file

I wasn't able to get a pro VCR where I live, so I tried multiple other options and would like your opintion, yes, I know it is the weakest link and maybe the most important one, but I might have to live with that (unless its worth spending $450+ on..)

So the LEFT is a simple SONY 4 head VCR, with a composite connection, which was really close to a few other non-pro VCR's I've tested (LG 6 heads, etc).
    The RIGHT came from a JVC VHS-C camcorder (jvc GR-SXM470, should have TBC/NR), I think its very similar to this one: http://www.jvc.co.uk/files/instruction_manual/lyt0707-001c.pdf

The JVC one seems a bit harsh, but that might be only because I am comparing it to the VERY soft SONY one ?

Can I get your input on this ? Does the picture look ok ? should I change my gear ? get another camcorder (sony maybe?)

EDIT: the pic might be misleading, but the video from the SONY looks really smooth compared to the JVC, which is kind of annoying.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	144
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	15691  

Last edited by ido22; 10th Jan 2013 at 17:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The left image doesn't look "really smooth" at all. It's blurred, and if there's supposed to be a tbc involved on the left it's not helping much (the walls and doors have wiggly edges). Image at the right is better. And verticals are straight.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 02:12.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, the right is a bit blurry (and there is a TBC in its chain).

Do you think I would benefit MUCH more from using a pro VCR deck or another camcorder ?

Could you also explain whats the meaning of a DV codec (is it only in use for PLAYING ?) because if I understand correctly, when capturing with windv (or another program), it saves the DV stream as is to the avi file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ido22 View Post
    T
    Could you also explain whats the meaning of a DV codec (is it only in use for PLAYING ?) because if I understand correctly, when capturing with windv (or another program), it saves the DV stream as is to the avi file.
    All capture programs and capture devices do not save a DV stream as-is. But WinDV happens to be one that does. a DV stream can also be recorded via other devices as MPEG and other formats. But DV-to-DV is probably best.

Definition of codec, of which there are a great many: https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?C#Codec
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 02:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't judge it from a still (it might look completely different in motion), but the wobbly verticals in the left one would make me reject it. You can easily blur+sharpen the one on the right to make it look like the one on the left if you want. You'll be able to see more with the levels corrected, and you can remove noise more effectively once its in the PC.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VHS_processed.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	15698  

Quote Quote  
  6. The later JVC SVHS-C camcorders have a line TBC that seems to work. The NR circuit is advertised as a "chroma noise reduction" system. Its not quite Digipure, but its better then nothing.
    Quote Quote