VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My first time using FF and I'm trying to convert some mp4 videos to avi so that I can play them on my DVD player that handles xvid/divx files. Normally I can just burn the avi files that I have obtained to a DVD-RW and they show up and play fine. Lately I've been obtaining mp4 files and those will not play. I used Format Factory to convert to avi and only the audio plays and I get an error message saying the video format is unsupported.

I checked the differences using Gspot and the mp4 and my converted avi have a video size of 728x408. The avi files that I obtained that work on my player are 624x352. I cannot find where I can set this as the output size for my converted files. I can get to a number of choices but none are this particular size. Is there a place I can input this specific video size? If not, what setting can I use?

Side note, the audio was out of sync (ahead of picture by several frames) when I checked the file on my computer. I've seen, but not yet read, some threads on this so I'll look into that but if it's a quick answer perhaps someone can mention a setting I should use here.

TIA!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try any 16:9 pixel aspect ratio like 640x360 ( 640/360 = 1.77 = 16 / 9)

And be sure to choose xvid video codec in format factory.

You could also try freemake video converter, load your mp4s, choose to AVI, select the TV quality xvid,mp3 preset. Convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The size of the original is pretty much 16:9, it's 1.784 according to Gspot. The original mp4 and the avi I made are that size and play fine streaming via my xbox. But I really want it to work on the DVD player I have in my bedroom and it's being rejected.

I'll try the 640x360. I did use the Xvid codec, everything looked the same in Gspot (or extremely close on the kbps and Qt) except the video size.

I'm trying a conversion through mpegstreamclip now but that takes a loooong time compared to Format Factory.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have the option to set the output format. I use FF all the time for the same purpose you are & never have a problem. Set the output to either 640x480 or 720x480. Try a bitrate between 1600 & 2000. And make sure that the aspect ratio & FPS (frames per second) are the same as the original. If the aspect ratio is different then what FF lists you can manually change it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since it is your first time using Format Factory, elaborating on what ypou wish to do, first right click the title in FF that you wish to adjust:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_461 Jan. 10 16.27.jpg
Views:	3126
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	15689
    The two lines you will be using are options and output settings, For now select output settings and click video size. Many standard options show up aand you can use those as previouslyu suggested or you can just overwrite the settings as 624x352:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_462 Jan. 10 16.33.jpg
Views:	3724
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	15690
    Convert and see if they play!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks all for your help!

Baldrick, 640x360 works perfect!

dfisher, I tested your suggestion as well and that comes up as 4:3 so it's a no go for my set up.

Budman1, I didn't know I could click in that field and input whatever numbers I wanted for video size, thanks!

Gonna set up a nice big batch now to watch tonight!
    Quote Quote