VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like to create home videos and got a Blu Ray burner a few months back (Lite-on, external). Well, I have this weird issue of occasional scenes of sudden jerky movements in the finished product. I can burn the same videos downscaled to DVD with no problem and no jerky scenes.

I have tried to check many different things to pinpoint the problem but so far, I just don't understand. I have created the blu ray folders on my desktop and tried burning the folders with ImgBurn and Power Producer. Nero 12 won't burn the folders and just gives Failed burn error (doesn't ruin the BD, thankfully). But the other two programs do burn the folders without a problem and the BDs do play on my blu ray player with the TV, but have these jerky occasional scenes. I have checked the main video file on my computer (the same one that gets burned to the disk, but play it from the computer rather than disk) and it plays just fine with no jerkiness so there is apparently nothing wrong with the actual video file to cause this.

It is not my blu ray player because if I play the same disk on my computer with the Blu Ray burner, it still has the jerky scenes. Anybody have any ideas about this or know of a similar experience?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need to describe the process you use in detail for creating BluRays. Jerkiness can be caused by frame rate conversion and also incorrectly deinterlaced material. What's your source material? A camcorder? Describe the frame rate and resolution of the source video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In addition to the above comments, the other common scenario is non compliant blu-ray settings: buffer peaks and underruns will cause stuttering on a blu-ray player but be fine on a computer . If you can provide more information as requested that would help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will attach some information here, but I used a Canon HD camcorder for most, but not all of the video. I used the FXP mode which is 1920 x 1080, and about 17 mbps. I use different programs for the editing since I like the features of some, but none seem to have everything that I want. I do find that Corel X4 crashes less than Pinnacle 16 and Sony. Sony came highly recommended to me on this board, but it does not work well on my computer. I have i7 processor with 8 GB of RAM. I'll admit that I have not kept up well with listing these specs but I do know this computer should be very adequate for editing video and that is one reason I bought it in the first place. One camera that I used is my new Gopro camera and I know it has a higher bit rate, but I thought this software was supposed to make all my video compatible with Blu Rays before outputting folders to burn to a Blu Ray. Am I wrong about that?

As far as the jerkiness on the blu ray that does not occur on the computer, I may need to clarify that when playing the burned blu ray disk in the blu ray burner/player, on my PC, yes it still has the jerks in it just like on my separate player with the TV. Only the unburned originall 0000.m2ts file that I find in the folder on the PC (not burned to any disc) plays fine on the computer with no jerkiness. So I am concluding that something happens during the burn process to cause this.

I suspect if I only used video with the same camera, and only used one software program, for a given project, all the way through burning the disc, I would not have the problem, but that sure seems limiting! I appreciate any continued thoughts here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vidinfo.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	15679
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by suelaine View Post

As far as the jerkiness on the blu ray that does not occur on the computer, I may need to clarify that when playing the burned blu ray disk in the blu ray burner/player, on my PC, yes it still has the jerks in it just like on my separate player with the TV. Only the unburned originall 0000.m2ts file that I find in the folder on the PC (not burned to any disc) plays fine on the computer with no jerkiness. So I am concluding that something happens during the burn process to cause this.
    Probably has to do with the software (either encoding or authoring stage) , burning or media quality

Post the settings used for the project, and the render settings

How did you create the "blu ray folders" ? Was the authoring done by Pinnacle ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're off to a decent start, but we still need LOTS more info. Mixing camcorder footage is probably a big part of the problem. The one you posted the image for would seem to be interlaced and your other sources may be progressive, meaning that the output is possibly deinterlacing everything or behaving in some less than optimal way to handle this possible mixture of interlaced and deinterlaced footage. Frame rates and resolutions could be different between the sources too. Yes, running your project through multiple editors is quite possibly a source of the problems as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I put all of the "mixed footage" through txmuxR to make one joined file. Then I used Nero to create the disk with menus. It claimed no re-encoding was needed except less than 1% for the video, and I think that is because of adding menus.

Generally, I start with my camera's AVCHD files and make sure that some are in any video that is rendered so I can assure that I use the same settings as either the first (or the most) video in the project, so it seems the specs should be the same for the output as the major portion of my AVCHD camcorder video. I try very hard to avoid re-encoding any video that has not actually been changed.

My own theory is becoming stronger (and changing) as I write this. I believe it is more to do with the hardware than software. I tried on two different kinds of BD disks and the result was the same, so probably not the specific media. I think it may be the external burner. I think it should work fine, but when the going gets tough it doesn't do so well. Either my burner is insufficient for the jobs it is intended to do (burn typical blu ray disks) or somewhere in these videos the data rate spikes where it shouldn't and that apparently can cause a burn problem (but would be caused by the software not fully preparing the blu ray video rather than the burner actually being defective or inefficient for what is designed to do).

I tried another experiment since starting this thread. I copied the "jerky" video file (0000.m2ts) off from a burned disk, and put it back on my PC. It plays okay when I do that, so there is really nothing wrong with the video file; it is either a media or hardware glitch, but I use the word glitch loosely because I also realize the software might have made files that were not compatible with being properly burned to disk.

I also did another experiment. I burned my video files (the nine that were joined with txmuxR, but before they were joined so it is nine separate files) to a Blu Ray disc, just as the video data files, without being in any particular folder. My Sony blu ray player that I used with the TV plays this just fine and the video is not jerky! It is probably my best solution to simply copy my edited files to a disk that way since I can play them on my TV but it bugs me that I can't seem to make the ideal blu ray with menus.

My next experiment will be to try to burn the blu ray folders from my laptop, using the same burner. (I don't have another blu ray burner to try, so I won't be doing that).
    Quote Quote