VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to know if anyone knows if I were to purchase the Windows 8 Pro upgrade (Download Version) from Microsoft will that invalidate the license key for the computer used to make the purchase even if it Isn't being installed on that computer? I was wondering if MS checks the purchasing computers key and automatically disables it on their end. I wouldn't put this beyond them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have upgraded from 7 to 8 , and after 2 months of using the 8-ght im back to my 7pro, i didn't install it again .. i just restored a previously made system backup image of the 7pro and there are no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your quick response, but actually I was wondering say for example I did I clean install of Windows 7 which would have to be activated. I was wondering is MS would allow me to re-activate Windows 7? I do clean installs every so often, but I also have to re-validate Windows sometimes if I swap a out a piece of hardware (videocard, CPU, soundcard, etc).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i believe he's asking if he upgrades to 8 can he use the old win7 key on a new computer. i would think it's doubtful as recent m.s. os's are locked to a hash of the computer hardware they are originally installed on.

it would be theft anyway.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually what I want to do is purchase Windows 8 Pro now since it's at a special price until the end of the month, but I currently have no plans to install it in the near future. I was just worried that Microsoft would invalidate my Windows 7 key even if Windows 8 Isn't even installed and has never been installed in case I may want to do a clean install of Windows 7 or may have to re-activate Windows after a hardware upgrade. I have no intention of installing both OS's at the same time since it would be illegal, but also I couldn't install both OS's on two different computers since I currently only have one computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i fail to see the illegality of running both the win 7 license and the win 8 license at the same time on 2 different computers. windows upgrade OSes are the exact same thing as Windows retail OSes, MS just adds some code to the disc to see if there's valid MS OS already installed, hell in theory you should be able to upgrade from Win 1.

and quite frankly who gives a shit what MS wants, if you can't pay your rent or your car payment next month will Gates or Ballmer or any other millionaire at MS or any other large company shed a single tear and help you out? They don't give a shit about you so why do you care what they want?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KTH View Post
    Actually what I want to do is purchase Windows 8 Pro now since it's at a special price until the end of the month, but I currently have no plans to install it in the near future. I was just worried that Microsoft would invalidate my Windows 7 key even if Windows 8 Isn't even installed and has never been installed in case I may want to do a clean install of Windows 7 or may have to re-activate Windows after a hardware upgrade. I have no intention of installing both OS's at the same time since it would be illegal, but also I couldn't install both OS's on two different computers since I currently only have one computer.
    You are WAY beyond even normal paranoia in thinking that Microsoft not only is able to track you to this extent, but that YOU are so supremely important to them that they would do this to you. You remind me of a guy I used to work with years ago when I was a federal employee (been in private industry for years now). A couple of years ago he became obsessed with the idea that he was going to be forced, at gunpoint if necessary, to get a flu shot by Uncle Sam. Dude, seriously, you need to get over yourself. No, what you propose is NOT going to happen.

It's also not "illegal" as deadrats points out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found this info about upgrading to win8..

"...The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way...."
    edit:
    BUT... i don't think that Microsoft is keeping any info about the previously installed OS or License Key, you can install the "Upgrade" as a clean install on a different PC and keep the original win7/wista... running, updating..
    Last edited by pirej; 8th Jan 2013 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 I should get over myself?! Really!!! I think that you should get over yourself!!! I have noticed recently that not just in this thread but in many others you have been belittling pretty much everyone that ask questions. You do usually offer some useful information though, but we could all do without all those nasty comments. I'm sure that your familiar with the saying "If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all". Even with your uncalled for remarks you did offer some good info and I THANK YOU for that, but in the future I think that everyone here would appreciate it if you would just stop with those nasty little comments.

It looks like the general consensus is that my old key won't be deactivated and I want to Thank Everyone for all their useful contributions. Even jman98. After I post this message I am going to report this thread to the moderators and request that this thread be locked so it does not escalate into a flame war.

THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYONE!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edit
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You remind me of a guy I used to work with years ago when I was a federal employee (been in private industry for years now). A couple of years ago he became obsessed with the idea that he was going to be forced, at gunpoint if necessary, to get a flu shot by Uncle Sam. Dude, seriously, you need to get over yourself. No, what you propose is NOT going to happen.

i don't mean to thread-jack but you just reminded me of a guy i met years ago. about 15 years ago or so i owned a hotdog stand and i had this customer that swore up and down that he had been kidnapped by aliens (from outer space) and these aliens had not only performed tests on him but had also implanted a chip into his head so they could read his brain. he went on to explain to me that he figured out how to block the radio transmissions from his brain to the aliens by lining his hat with aluminum foil (i swear to you he took his cap off and it had foil on the inside). he went on to explain to me that the aliens had conspired with the CIA and the mafia to pull off the kidnapping because there was no way that they could have done it on their own.

i asked him what he did for a living and he told me he pumped gas. i then pointed out what scenario he was proposing; basically he was telling me that intelligent lifeforms capable of traveling between solar systems and galaxies had traveled to earth and of all the people they could kidnap and implant a chip to read their minds they picked someone who pumps gas for a living. these aliens, who by his own admission were way more advanced than us, had no problem with interstellar travel, no problem with advanced cranial surgery and were technologically enough to be able to monitor thoughts of their test subjects but they were not smart enough to either a) find a way around the defense of aluminum foil and b) needed the help of both the CIA and the mafia in order to kidnap him, because somehow grabbing a guy that pumps gas was outside their abilities and lastly they had no interest in what any of the greatest thinkers, political leaders and business men or scientist were thinking, they really wanted to know what a guy that pumped gas for a living was thinking.

i must have mocked and ridiculed him for at least a half an hour, all the while selling him one hotdog after another, eventually he got pissed off, payed me for the food and told me he was never coming to my hotdog stand ever again.

i wish i was making this story up, but i swear it's all true, i wonder what ever happened to that nutjob.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty funny deadrats. I worked in the customer service industry for a while and I remember a time when a ragged looking guy came in to the store wearing a headband with a pack of "AA" batteries tucked in the front. As you can imagine all the other employees kept their distance from this guy. I was the one who ended up helping out that guy. He wanted to do something kind of strange if I remember correctly (I don't remember what it was), but I did my best to help him out and sold him some stuff in the process.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The next time you you meet someone with a tin foil hat, hint to them that it's a CIA conspiracy. Tin foil actually acts as an antenna concentrating and amplifying the thought reading/mind control waves.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Name:  tinfoil-hat.jpg
Views: 20702
Size:  46.5 KB

Good info here!!!

There are three engineers in a car; an electrical engineer, a chemical engineer and a Microsoft engineer.
    Suddenly the car just stops by the side of the road, and the three engineers look at each other wondering what could be wrong.
    The electrical engineer suggests stripping down the electronics of the car and trying to trace where a fault might have occurred. The chemical engineer, not knowing much about cars, suggests that maybe the fuel is becoming emulsified and getting blocked somewhere.
    Then, the Microsoft engineer, not knowing much about anything, comes up with a suggestion, 'Why don't we close all the windows, get out, get back in, open the windows again, and maybe it'll work.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote