VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me out, I'm really new to the whole virtualdub thing.

Basically I have an .mp4 file of 481MB and I wanted to hardsub .ass subtitles, but the output file is ridiculously high.

I've Googled around and gave the Xvid compressor a go..and it did reduce size, but it's still massive!

Any advice anyone can give me? I really don't want to lose any more quality...especially for a measly 400mb+ file, I'm probably doing something stupid here, but can't find a basic answer online.

If no one can help me I'd be grateful for a VirtualDub alternative. I only want to hardsub a file ^_^;
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adjust the bitrate or quantizer in the xvid settings. Under video->compression, click on xvid and on the configure button. You can now increase the quantizer for smaller file size or the set average bitrate. Click on the calc button to calculate the output file size.

Be sure to copy the audio stream also, under audio->direct stream copy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your MP4 source likely uses h.264 video compression. That's more efficient than Xvid. So don't expect Xvid to give as good results at similar sizes. You'll probably have to give it twice the bitrate.
    Quote Quote