VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I really need help with this. I'm using a VGA with HDMI and DVI input on the back. I bought a HDMI to DVI with my Roxio, and plugged both of those in. Then both of the HDMI cables from my Roxio to my Xbox. Last, I took the roxio usb and connected it to my laptop. It only showed on my preview screen on my roxio software, not my vga. So I bought a HDMI Splitter Cable Adapter, I thought that would work. It shows on my tv now, and my laptop but says no signal and won't let me record on my software. The screen is also messed up, help please! Any solutions I spent a lot of money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by npfilms12 View Post
    I really need help with this. I'm using a VGA with HDMI and DVI input on the back. I bought a HDMI to DVI with my Roxio, and plugged both of those in. Then both of the HDMI cables from my Roxio to my Xbox. Last, I took the roxio usb and connected it to my laptop. It only showed on my preview screen on my roxio software, not my vga. So I bought a HDMI Splitter Cable Adapter, I thought that would work. It shows on my tv now, and my laptop but says no signal and won't let me record on my software. The screen is also messed up, help please! Any solutions I spent a lot of money.
    HDMI SPLITTER is powered or selfpowered? To work only Powered.

"I'm using a VGA with HDMI and DVI input on the back."

Please, explanation above.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using a VGA with HDMI and DVI input on the back.
    That makes no sense to me. I have seen the Roxio HD and I remember it to have a HDMI OR, not and, component, it has both but you only use one. Why is VGA involved except on the PC and only on the PC in which case why DVI, one or the other not both.

The way the thing is intended to be used, (warning I am guessing based on the ins and outs not on on experience but it makes sense).

Computer is hooked up to its own monitor via the standard connectors for the combination, which means EITHER VGA, DVI or HDMI but ONLY one of the set not multiple connections, though the monitor may be able to switch the computer should only be producing one output.

The XBOX 360 should be sending to the Roxio HD unit input's either, NOT BOTH, component or HDMI. The same connector type should go from the unit's out to the TV. Play the game on the TV not he PC. The USB out from the Roxio unit connects to the PC and the Roxio software captures the digital stream from the Roxio unit.

There should be no need for HDMI splitter and from what you say it is screwing things up. Use the thing the way it meant to be used and you have less problems.

Then both of the HDMI cables from my Roxio to my Xbox.
    That too makes not sense at all. One HDMI port is an IN and the other is an OUT. One COMES from the Xbox and the other GOES to the TV.

Ins to outs outs to ins and USB to USB

Code:
    XBOX >----VIA HDMI>----Roxio HD >----- VIA HDMI >----- TV not the PC or Roxio or VGA or the toaster for that matter.
                                                 v
                                                 |
                                                 |
                                                 U
                                                 S
                                                 B
                                                 |
                                                 v
                                       Personal Computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ethlred - the only way I can think that "vga" is involved here is you can use a vga cable from the xbox (specialty one from microsoft of course not a run of the mill vga cable but has the normal vga connection at the end) I use one to go to my hdtv.

How that works in the posters configuration I am not sure. As has been mentioned you should either use component or hdmi for this process.

Now it is possible the poster does not have an xbox 360 with an hdmi output. Perhaps the poster is using either some weird vga to hdmi cable (do those exist?) or perhaps another oddball converter cable.

But the original poster will need to layout precisely how the hookup attempt is being made. It would also be beneficial to mention if the xbox 360 has an hdmi port or not (the first and possible second versions of the xbox 360 did not have hdmi ports - I think it was the "elite" models that first introduced the hdmi port). However You can still use component for a connection even on a non hdmi xbox 360.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow.. the ones that were saying it wasn't going to work. THE VIDEO DID WORK, and to the one that called the splitter a "toaster" really... wtf you talking about? IT DOES make sense what I was trying to explain, especially since I got it to work and you were saying it wasn't. The only THING that hasn't been working was the audio because of the DVI blocking the audio signal. So that's my only problem, does anyone know anything? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    I really need help with this. I'm using a VGA with HDMI and DVI input on the back. I bought a HDMI to DVI with my Roxio, and plugged both of those in. Then both of the HDMI cables from my Roxio to my Xbox. Last, I took the roxio usb and connected it to my laptop. It only showed on my preview screen on my roxio software, not my vga. So I bought a HDMI Splitter Cable Adapter, I thought that would work. It shows on my tv now, and my laptop but says no signal and won't let me record on my software. The screen is also messed up, help please! Any solutions I spent a lot of money.
    HDMI SPLITTER is powered or selfpowered? To work only Powered.

"I'm using a VGA with HDMI and DVI input on the back."

Please, explanation above.

Claudio
    Hey. I'm using a VGA monitor, and it only has a VGA and DVI input on the back. That's what I meant to say. So I bought a HDMI to DVI.

I bought this also.
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Female-Splitter-Adapter-Cable/dp/B005BOGI4C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s...tter+crazycart

This it the HDMI to DVI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189057

Then the other HDMI cables
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882850010

I plugged the splitter adapter to the back of my Xbox on the HDMI port, then the DVI to the top of the splitter. Then I plugged the HDMI cable into the bottom port of the splitter to my roxio, and I plugged the roxio usb to my laptop. The DVI is blocking the signal for my audio now though, so I can't receive audio... I solved the problem with the video. Any help would be appreciate, thanks.
    Last edited by npfilms12; 7th Jan 2013 at 15:13. Reason: Forgot to mention other links
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow.. the ones that were saying it wasn't going to work. THE VIDEO DID WORK, and to the one that called the splitter a "toaster" really... wtf you talking about? IT DOES make sense what I was trying to explain, especially since I got it to work and you were saying it wasn't. The only THING that hasn't been working was the audio because of the DVI blocking the audio signal. So that's my only problem, does anyone know anything? Thanks
    Ethelred was trying to be funny when he wrote about about connecting a toaster with HDMI.

Your verbal description of your setup is confusing. This is one of those cases where a picture would truly be worth a thousand words. Draw a diagram of your setup so we can understand what you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah, I know. I was pretty mad lol. Hold on, I can just link you a page of my description.
    http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/83513-hdmi-to-dvi-problems/

Scroll a bit down and you'll see what I was talking about, I can't show a picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I know. I was pretty mad lol. Hold on, I can just link you a page of my description.

Scroll a bit down and you'll see what I was talking about, I can't show a picture.
    I think your audio problem is caused by the combination of the unpowered splitter and the DVI monitor. HDMI and DVI connections are electrically similar, except that a normal DVI-D connection doesn't supply audio and can't use audio if it receives audio.

In your case, the monitor's DVI connection and the Roxio Game Capture Pro are acting as HDMI sinks and the XBOX 360 is acting as the HDMI source. An HDMI source device reads the E-EDID data from the HDMI sink device, and in this case the monitor's E-EDID data is telling the source "I'm a DVI-D connection, so don't send me audio". The XBox 360 says "OK, I won't send you audio", and the Roxio Game Capture Pro is being left out of the conversation. I suspect the Roxio Game Capture Pro is being ignored because the HDMI splitter is unpowered. You need a powered splitter to enable both HDMI sink devices to communicate properly with the HDMI source device.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yeah, I know. I was pretty mad lol. Hold on, I can just link you a page of my description.

I think your audio problem is caused by the combination of the unpowered splitter and the DVI monitor. HDMI and DVI connections are electrically similar, except that a normal DVI-D connection doesn't supply audio and can't use audio if it receives audio.

In your case, the monitor's DVI connection and the Roxio Game Capture Pro are acting as HDMI sinks and the XBOX 360 is acting as the HDMI source. An HDMI source device reads the E-EDID data from the HDMI sink device, and in this case the monitor's E-EDID data is telling the source "I'm a DVI-D connection, so don't send me audio". The XBox 360 says "OK, I won't send you audio", and the Roxio Game Capture Pro is being left out of the conversation. I suspect the Roxio Game Capture Pro is being ignored because the HDMI splitter is unpowered. You need a powered splitter to enable both HDMI sink devices to communicate properly with the HDMI source device.
    I don't get how this can't work though. I'm connecting my red and white audio cables into the roxio, and still doesn't work... is there any other way I can receive audio?

When I switch my monitor to analog, the audio works but it automatically switches back to digital (because DVI is digital) so yeah. Meh, spent $150 on this and spent extra on cables. Don't really want to ship it back and get a refund, if I do I won't get a full refund and that pretty much wasted a lot of money. I would appreciate any other suggestions,

I don't think I would be able to afford to buy a powered splitter. I already have a video convertor for my vga, but all the slots are used up. So there's no use to that, I'm just trying to receive audio and I love the quality of the video. You have to pay for tech support for Roxio, and I heard there tech support isn't that good.
    Last edited by npfilms12; 7th Jan 2013 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get how this can't work though. I'm connecting my red and white audio cables into the roxio, and still doesn't work... is there any other way I can receive audio?

When I switch my monitor to analog, the audio works but it automatically switches back to digital (because DVI is digital) so yeah. Meh, spent $150 on this and spent extra on cables. Don't really want to ship it back and get a refund, if I do I won't get a full refund and that pretty much wasted a lot of money. I would appreciate any other suggestions,

I don't think I would be able to afford to buy a powered splitter. I already have a video convertor for my vga, but all the slots are used up. So there's no use to that, I'm just trying to receive audio and I love the quality of the video. You have to pay for tech support for Roxio, and I heard there tech support isn't that good.
    The XBox 360 can't supply analog audio and HDMI video at the same time. The input to the Roxio probably has to be all analog or all digital too. I doubt it can process both at the same time.

If you could use a TV as your display with an HDMI connection and avoid DVI and splitters entirely, you could get the Roxio to work as you would like. The Roxio does have an HDMI pass-though to feed a display with no lag.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Jan 2013 at 18:46.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't have another tv though, just a vga monitor. It also has no HDMI slots on the back.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I might just return this, idk if it ran out or I have a few days left
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't have an inexpensive answer for your audio problem but it looks like I posted erroneous information in post #11. I forgot that it is possible to get HDMI video and analog audio output from the XBox 360 at the same time if an XBox 360 RCA / Toslink Audio Adapter cable is used. (The regular analog A/V cable won't work for this.)

However, since it still looks like the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro can only use audio supplied via its analog audio connections when video is supplied via its component video connections, I guess it was the wrong device for you to buy. Using game consoles with computer monitors always seems to introduce a complication somewhere...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Returning this crap -_-.... thanks anyways guys. Appreciate it, well actually. Is there any hd cap card that would work?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Returning this crap -_-.... thanks anyways guys. Appreciate it, well actually. Is there any hd cap card that would work?
    Needing to use a DVI monitor, and needing to supply audio separately is a substantial barrier to recording with an HDMI connection. All the USB 2.0 HD consumer recording devices I have seen that accept input from HDMI require the audio to be supplied via HDMI too. I don't know of any HDMI capture devices that would work with your recording set up without adding more equipment. You would need a converter like this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=...seq=1&format=2 plus another DVI to HDMI cable, and prossibly some other stuff as well, to go with your existing equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  17. What about a Black magic intensity? I heard those work
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about a Black magic intensity? I heard those work
    Do you have the cash for a BMI Shuttle and have a high-end laptop with USB 3.0 connections to go with it? Unlike the Roxio product you are returning, BMI's product line uses software encoding, so you are going to need a pretty good laptop to do real-time HD video encoding. I also didn't see a connection diagram showing mixing analog audio with HDMI video as an option for the BMI Shuttle.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What about a Black magic intensity? I heard those work
    Do you have the cash for a BMI Shuttle and have a high-end laptop with USB 3.0 connections to go with it? Unlike the Roxio product you are returning, BMI's product line uses software encoding, so you are going to need a pretty good laptop to do real-time HD video encoding. I also didn't see a connection diagram showing mixing analog audio with HDMI video as an option for the BMI Shuttle.
    I would be able to afford a BMI shuttle if it's the $200. If it's the $300, don't think so. Well anyways, I have a usb 2.0 only and was planning on saving up for a new pc. But that won't be for a while. I was thinking of just buying a HDMI tv, not because of the capture card. For other reasons also, and use my vga monitor as my computer monitor. So I'm not sure, my other idea (or plan) was to buy a HD PVR 2 and get a Atlona converter. Idk too much though for any of those but there is amazon and other sites.

Edit: On bestbuy, they have a lower price on those. They have DVI-HDMI, VGA-HDMI (all slots on my monitor with VGA are used up. But I don't want to buy something expensive and not have any audio if the DVI would do that) and VGA-Component. But the HD PVR 2, Roxio, etc are HDMI now the newest versions. The VGA-Component would be useful to the oldest ones, but that's $300 and I'm not going to be using the old capture card. The other convertors are around $150.

Do you think these would work? Sorry for the long paragraph, was just trying to add details.

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-VGA-to-Component-or-Component-to-VGA-Converter-Scaler.html
    http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-VGA-to-HDMI-Scaler-Converter-USB-Powered.html
    http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-DVI-Scaler-with-Analog-Digital-Audio.html

If I get any of these. Do you think I would be forced to play in digital on my monitor? I would love to keep playing in analog VGA and still record with these. Because I got use to the vga signal for a long time.
    Last edited by npfilms12; 8th Jan 2013 at 18:55.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would be able to afford a BMI shuttle if it's the $200. If it's the $300, don't think so. Well anyways, I have a usb 2.0 only and was planning on saving up for a new pc. But that won't be for a while. I was thinking of just buying a HDMI tv, not because of the capture card. For other reasons also, and use my vga monitor as my computer monitor. So I'm not sure, my other idea (or plan) was to buy a HD PVR 2 and get a Atlona converter. Idk too much though for any of those but there is amazon and other sites.

Edit: On bestbuy, they have a lower price on those. They have DVI-HDMI, VGA-HDMI (all slots on my monitor with VGA are used up. But I don't want to buy something expensive and not have any audio if the DVI would do that) and VGA-Component. But the HD PVR 2, Roxio, etc are HDMI now the newest versions. The VGA-Component would be useful to the oldest ones, but that's $300 and I'm not going to be using the old capture card. The other convertors are around $150.

Do you think these would work? Sorry for the long paragraph, was just trying to add details.

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-VGA-to-Component-or-Component-to-VGA-Converter-Scaler.html

If I get any of these. Do you think I would be forced to play in digital on my monitor? I would love to keep playing in analog VGA and still record with these. Because I got use to the vga signal for a long time.
    Gaming consoles are made to be used with TVs. Just use your computer monitor as a computer monitor if you plan on getting an HDTV. It will make connecting everything together simpler.

Current model HDTVs with HDMI connections should accept any of the HD resolutions the XBox 360 can produce via HDMI, and can use HDMI audio. If you use an HDTV instead of a monitor, you shouldn't even need an HDMI splitter to capture the HDMI output from an XBox 360, if the HDMI capture device has an HDMI pass through to supply video and audio to the TV via HDMI. (An HDMI pass through is an internal spltter which introduces no delay. )

The newest USB HD capture devices, such as the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, and the Elgato Game Capture HD, all have an HDMI pass through.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Gaming consoles are made to be used with TVs. Just use your computer monitor as a computer monitor if you plan on getting an HDTV. It will make connecting everything together simpler.

Current model HDTVs with HDMI connections should accept any of the HD resolutions the XBox 360 can produce via HDMI, and can use HDMI audio. If you use an HDTV instead of a monitor, you shouldn't even need an HDMI splitter to capture the HDMI output from an XBox 360, if the HDMI capture device has an HDMI pass through to supply video and audio to the TV via HDMI. (An HDMI pass through is an internal spltter which introduces no delay. )

The newest USB HD capture devices, such as the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, and the Elgato Game Capture HD, all have an HDMI pass through.
    Yeah. I know, but do you think those video converters would work? I really don't want to order it online and not have it work :/

I already returned the roxio... but I might buy a hd pvr 2 because there are more problems with the roxio that I didn't really like.. do you think you can find a converter that would work with both? I also use turtlebeaches on xbox if that changes anything but those convertors have red and white out, so I can plug my red and white cables into it
    Last edited by npfilms12; 9th Jan 2013 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Yeah. I know, but do you think those video converters would work? I really don't want to order it online and not have it work :/

I already returned the roxio... but I might buy a hd pvr 2 because there are more problems with the roxio that I didn't really like.. do you think you can find a converter that would work with both? I also use turtlebeaches on xbox if that changes anything but those convertors have red and white out, so I can plug my red and white cables into it
    You want to record from an HDMI connection, so the Atlona converter on your list that I think would be of the most use to you is the HDMI/DVI Scaler with Analog/Digital Audio http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-DVI-Scaler-with-Analog-Digital-Audio.html. It will combine RCA stereo audio or optical S/PDIF audio from the XBox 360 with the HDMI video from the Xbox 360 into an HDMI signal with audo and video so that an HDMI capture device can record both.

I'm not sure how much use its scaling ability will be to you, but the Atlona device can also scale the video input from the XBox 360 to a different resolution and framerate. Scaling will introduce some delay, so you would only want to hook the Atlona converter up to the capture device, not to the monitor.

The Atlona costs four to six times what the Monoprice converter I linked to costs http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=...seq=1&format=2, depending on where you buy it. The Atlona has more features, but if you don't need to scale video or record optical digital audio, buying a less expensive converter would make more sense.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Jan 2013 at 08:47.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

You want to record from an HDMI connection, so the Atlona converter on your list that I think would be of the most use to you is the HDMI/DVI Scaler with Analog/Digital Audio http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-DVI-Scaler-with-Analog-Digital-Audio.html. It will combine RCA stereo audio or optical S/PDIF audio from the XBox 360 with the HDMI video from the Xbox 360 into an HDMI signal with audo and video so that an HDMI capture device can record both.

I'm not sure how much use its scaling ability will be to you, but the Atlona device can also scale the video input from the XBox 360 to a different resolution and framerate. Scaling will introduce some delay, so you would only want to hook the Atlona converter up to the capture device, not to the monitor.

The Atlona costs four to six times what the Monoprice converter I linked to costs http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2, depending on where you buy it. The Atlona has more features, but if you don't need to scale video or record optical digital audio, buying a less expensive converter would make more sense.
    Sorry. The link never worked.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fixed the link.

As far as the scaling... A number of the newer HDMI capture devices capture 1080p60 video, but as 1080p30. They do this by discarding every other frame, which causes motion in the captured video to be less smooth than the original video. If you wanted to play at 1080p60 because your monitor is 1920x1080 and capture at 720p60 for smother motion, scaling the video sent to the capture device to 720p would allow you to do that. If you are satisfied to play and capture at the same resolution, then scaling is not going to be of benefit to you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Jan 2013 at 08:57.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The monoprice one still doesn't work :/

Oh, and thanks for the help. I really appreciate it, you seem to be the only one actually helping. Thanks again.
    Last edited by npfilms12; 13th Jan 2013 at 09:18.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The monoprice one still doesn't work :/

Oh, and thanks for the help. I really appreciate it, you seem to be the only one actually helping. Thanks again.
    I tested the corrected link, and it works for me. I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

Go to monoprice.com and look under VIDEO/AUDIO SWITCHES > Analog & Digital Format Converters > DVI to HDMI Converters to find their "DVI & R/L Stereo Audio to HDMI® Converter".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I fixed the link.

As far as the scaling... A number of the newer HDMI capture devices capture 1080p60 video, but as 1080p30. They do this by discarding every other frame, which causes motion in the captured video to be less smooth than the original video. If you wanted to play at 1080p60 because your monitor is 1920x1080 and capture at 720p60 for smother motion, scaling the video sent to the capture device to 720p would allow you to do that. If you are satisfied to play and capture at the same resolution, then scaling is not going to be of benefit to you.
    Because this (Play 1080p@60 and record 1080p@30) I play in 1080p@60 and record in 1080i and use avisynth QTMGC to make 1080p@60 file.

Easy way and awesome quality.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  28. I found it. Would I have to plug in my red and white audio cable? Because I thought I could get audio by just the HDMI cable.

So with this, I would still be able to play with analog VGA? Same resolution? I don't really mind about the quality, as long as it looks HD. Thanks Cauptain for the file.
    Last edited by npfilms12; 13th Jan 2013 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found it. Would I have to plug in my red and white audio cable? Because I thought I could get audio by just the HDMI cable.

So with this, I would still be able to play with analog VGA? Same resolution? I don't really mind about the quality, as long as it looks HD. Thanks Cauptain for the file.
    You would still have to plug your red and white audio cable into the DVI + analog audio to HDMI converter to have audio available for your HDMI capture device to record. You need a converter to combine analog audio and HDMI video into HDMI video plus HDMI audio. This is because it appears that none of the HDMI capture devices you have been looking at can record HDMI video and analog audio as separate inputs. If you want analog audio to play the game, you would need a splitter to feed the converter and your speakers.

No, you would not be able to play via VGA using the converter I linked to. You said your monitor does not have enough VGA connection so you needed to use DVI to connect the monitor, plus you wanted to record via HDMI. I gave you a solution to use DVI for the monitor and HDMI for recording. Converting VGA to HDMI is not going to work as well as converting from DVI to HDMI.

I don't think I can help you any further, so I'm done here.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Does anybody think this would work? I already have a video converter with two vga slots that are already used, I got it about two years ago for another reason. If I get a HDMI male to VGA female adapter, or just a VGA splitter. Then I get a VGA Y-Splitter Cable, the VGA cable that usually has three cables. I plug it into the video adapter, then the other end to my monitor, then I plug my VGA to HDMI into the adapter and HDMI to PVR. Does anybody think that would work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PU0KV5134
    OR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200766

This is the HDMI to VGA. Either one of these two.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812705088
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882241187
    Quote Quote