1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for this long thread. The topics of this thread are:

1. My biggest disappointment: Audio and video not synce
    2. Hardware
    3. VCR connection to computer
    4. Chain of events in VirtualDub
    5. My VirtualDub capture settings:

After studying the subject for a few months, I have started capturing my VHS cassettes with VirtualDub, the cassettes date to the late eighties and nineties.
    (I started this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349161-Are-these-VCR-s-Super-VHS-machines-to-use-for-playback )

I bought a JVC SVHS HR-S8960 in a very good condition. This one apparently has a built in TBC/DNR, i.e. Time Base Corrector with Digital Noise Reduction. (From an earlier post: the HR-S8960 does have the desirable DigiPure TBC/DNR feature)

I also bought an Avermedia A323 Mini Capture card second hand. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 520.

VCR connection to computer:
    I found that the image quality of the Composite connection was better than the S VHS connection, so I am using composite.
    I also cleaned the heads of the VCR just to get the best result possible.
    After capturing an hour on a very “much used” cassette, I had no dropped frames.

My plan is to capture all the video cassettes initially and then one after the other move from internal E drive to my external HD with direct stream copy in VirtualDub.

Chain of events:
    1. Initial capture with Virtualdub.exe and Lagarith and save on my second internal HD. Big file ± 70GB per 3 hours
    a) Clean: Avisynth will process the video and send the clean video to VitualDub 32 bit.
    b) Open Virtual Dub 32 bit version and open the Clean VHS.AVS
    c) From here insert Reverse Field Dominance and select Celocida Codec.
    d) After ending will get a cleaned Dv file.
    2. Save in second internal HD as a DV file. (Size now much smaller)
    3. Edit this DV file with Pinnacle
    4. Now saving for future use- encoding, converting to MPEG and DVDs

I plan to keep the original big AVI files, should I need it in future

My VirtualDub capture settings:
    Capture AVI
    Device >Avermedia
    Video >Preview
    Video Source>Video composite
    Video >Capture pin: PAL N; Frame rate: 25; Color space:UyUy; Output: 720x576
    Video >Capture filter: Video decoder>PAL N>OK
    Video >Crossbar: 0:Video Comp In-Video Decoder Out

4:Audio line in-Audio decoder out

Video >Compression> Lagarith
    Audio >Enable audio capture
    >Volume meter
    >Audio source: Audio line
    >Capture device

I captured a cassette yesterday, while at work. As the video stopped after 3 hours and Vdub kept on recording- I had a massive file (more than 100GB).
    Getting home, I stopped recording, but did not look at the parameters in the sidebar.
    I opened the file in Vdub to delete the unnecessary parts and then found that the audio and video was out of sync. (Up to 3 seconds at the end of the cassette)
    I deleted this file and started again to record the same cassette.

Values while capturing: 66 000 frames captured after 44 min, 0 frames dropped/inserted; sync: VT adj +0ms; current error: 0
    It indicated while capturing that there were no dropped frames or sync issues. But, playing the same AVI file on Vdub- using the internal E drive, gave me up to a ± 3 second delay between audio and video.
    I then used one of the AVI files that I have captured a few days ago- this file also has a delay. So, it is not this specific cassette.
    What I have not done in the past, prior to capturing “seriously”, was to change the crossbar. (See the 2 screenshots).

I plan to set up both VCRs over the weekend - my Sansui VCR and the JVC S-VCR, connect it to the TV and see if the videos have an AV delay. (I have in the past, while playing cassettes, never noticed a sync issue)

My questions:
    1. Is there a way to overcome this sync issue? I am sure that moving audio will still not be 100%
    2. Is a setting wrong?
    3. Is there another program that I should rather use to capture raw AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Color space:UyUy ?? what is that ? you should use YUY2
    As for the a/v sync hard to tell you but you can try virtual vcr (free) which has options for the A/v sync.
    One thing is know is that for example my card support 32khz audio natively (checked with graphedit) and if i chose 44khz i get a desync especially on long length.
    Also, try to record in pcm to avoid issues
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your superiority in the use of your language astounds me, the master. Sincere apologies for making an error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Color space:UyUy ?? what is that ? you should use YUY2
    Some USB capture cards (Aver, Encore) use UYVY mode and BFF.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Hi Avz10,

Try other codec like UT VIDEO. If desync again,go to VD capture module and change TIMING options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i6Ezq.png
Views:	2645
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	15525

Claudio

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Claudio!
    Quote Quote