VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...files are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder for the current user. Windows explorer works very hard at hiding them from you. You can get at them from a Command Prompt though.
    I don't understand that. It seems that if you have "show hidden files/operating system file" on folder view, you should be able to see any files that the command prompt would show. Can you explain and give an example of a file that I can only access with the Command Prompt?
    Last edited by jimdagys; 4th Jan 2013 at 07:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Windows Explorer? That's the Microsoft program you run in order to install a third party file manager isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, there are folders you can access via a command prompt that can't be accessed via Windows Explorer. For example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rec.png
Views:	466
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	15524
    Quote Quote  
  4. XP lets you access them there recycle bin files. Maybe Win7 just needs a little more encouragement.

XP's "System Volume Information" folders can require a bit of strategic planning to get into. Something to do with administrative accounts and/or ownership combined with a complete lack of anything better to do. I've done it before though, I just can't remember how.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    ...files are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder for the current user. Windows explorer works very hard at hiding them from you. You can get at them from a Command Prompt though.
    I don't understand that. It seems that if you have "show hidden files/operating system file" on folder view, you should be able to see any files that the command prompt would show. Can you explain and give an example of a file that I can only access with the Command Prompt?
    That quote is inaccurate. Windows' default explorer setting will hide extensions+"hidden"+"system" files & folders, but you can EASILY change Windows' settings to show all 3. Then you can get easily - Via Explorer - to %user%/Local Settings, %user%/Application Data, ...Temporary Internet Files, etc. I do this ALL THE TIME.

What I find strange is that regardless of how you set the settings in Explorer, if you wanted to do a search on the temp folder that is created for Outlook Email attachments (usually "%user%/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/OLK##" or similar), you can NEVER find items in it with Windows' Search! EVER. Even if you navigate to it, or have the folder open in another window. It just WON'T look in there, no matter what "hidden folder"/"system folder" options you allow.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The shell is always the best choice in case you can deal with it.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote