VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know how DVDFab for blu-ray does the ripping process but it seems that most blu-rays I rip always have picture anomalies like pixelations or skips. I thought a rip is just copying the file verbatim. i play the blu-ray disc itself and works fine. any ideas on this?

As an alternative, I am also interesting in the DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray with the thought that I would get a perfect copy if I just copy the m2ts file verbatim (my fav word) to my backup location.

Any help appreciated.

p.s. I would have posted this in the DVDFab forum but they aren't allowing any more registrations.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want to convert to another format then use DVDFab, if you just want to remove the encryption(CSS, Macrovision, etc) then use DVDFab Passkey. It sounds like you are converting the Blu-Ray to another format, is this a file or disc that has pixelation?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Don't use DVDFab Blu ray ripper. Period. It is a misnamed conversion program of dubious quality output.

If you need to rip the blu ray movies to the hard drive, do so with the free section, DVDFab HD Decrypter, then convert with something else if necessary. There are a lot of good choices that can use X264 to convert to mkv or mp4 files, like VidCoder, Handbrake and even BD Rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVDFabPasskey is a driver-level decrypter like AnyDVDHD, and works much the same. It doesn't have a rip to ISO/files option, but that doesn't matter. A simple copy/paste will do. I normally run it in the background and use Clown_BD to extract main movie.

I too don't see any point in using the conversion options in DVDFab. There are freeware programs that do a better job.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is great information, guys, thanks. But if I play the blu-ray disc and it is perfect output quality, i'm not understanding how "ripping" it (no conversion) would induce anomolies. Isn't it just a bit for bit copy of the m2ts file or is there something else going on during the "rip"? Would love to know how that really works.

@Kerry56, I thought HD Decrypter was just for the defunct HD-DVD format. I'll try that this evening.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Again I ask, is this a file or disc? How are you playing the ripped file?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its the file that I'm playing that has pixelations. I've played on the WD-Live Streaming Media Player. I played it through that specific spot several times to make sure it wasn't happening randomly with that box and it wasn't... it was happening at the same spot. Also encountered this when playing on a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You asked the same question last April, I think it's your Blu-Ray drive:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345742-BluRay-to-ISO-rips-have-unexplained-pixelations?p=2159027
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did get the HD Decryptor to work and that is really all I was looking for. Thanks, Kerry56. But that still doesn't explain if copying a file bit for bit (decrypted of course), how can these pixelations occur? Isn't there some consistency checks like when one copies a file?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    It should not happen at all. When doing a straight rip, with no conversion or compression, it should look exactly the same, since it is the same data.

If it happens in the same spot each time you rip, you may have a flaw in the physical disc. Just speculation, but maybe your player's drive has better error correction than your blu ray ripping drive. Or the player manages to get through that section, and when ripping you don't have the option to skip the flaw.

Edit: You can run a TRT scan on the original blu ray and see if your computer's blu ray drive has a major drop in reading speed at that approximate area of the movie.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 8th Jan 2013 at 21:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think you just need to put it into right container for your WDTV . Use MKV. Maybe TS is alright too, but you got to remux it from that m2ts original. That player can have problems with it.Same video, different container.

-If you have that m2ts on hardisk drop it into mkvmerge and mux mkv. You can do this for extras.
    -Or as a matter of fact you can just grab m2ts from your disc and drop it directly into mkvmerge, do extras like that. Do not do that for movies. If you are not sure, they can use playlists etc, use ClownBD to get elementary streams and then mux it into mkv or into TS directly with clownBD.
    AnyDVDHD or DVDFab passkey in the background of course.
    Last edited by _Al_; 8th Jan 2013 at 22:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the expert advice and with that advice I've been messing around with DVDFab HD Decoder and does almost all I need. I've also used handbrake to put the movie in to M4V and MKV to see if it works with my Sony Blu-Ray player and it does (through USB port).

Thanks.
    Last edited by tommyjw; 25th Jan 2013 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote