VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using a Sony DCR-TRV17 as a pass-through device to capture my old VHS and HI8 tapes to PC. However, it appears the camcorder will only pass-through mono audio instead of stereo? Can anyone confirm this? I have the VCR's going into the camcorder via S-Video and this cable for audio:

Stereo to Dual Phono (RCA) Plug Y-cable

I have already started to look at other methods and tried the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe system that uses USB for capture, however the picture quality is much worse than using the DV Camcorder. The picture keeps having a flashing effect that is quite bothersome. Tried it on two different computers with the same effect.

I next tired Virtualdub, but I can't seem to get it to capture video from the Camcorder via Firewire will simultaneously capturing audio from the above linked cable plugged directly into the mic and/or line input of the computer. Maybe I am mistaken in that it can't capture these two sources at the same time? I can hear the audio through my computer speakers, but when I select either "line in" or "mic" as the audio source the capture screen goes black in virtualdub.

Unless I am doing something wrong, are my only choices with this equipment is to have stereo sound with poor picture using the Honestech system, or better picture with mono sound just using the camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the audio has to be plugged into the cam. then you get dvavi with stereo pcm audio.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's how I tried it initially: VCR S-video into Sony Camcorder and VCR rca stereo out to camcorder via the RCA cable linked in my first post. Then firewire into the computer. When I captured the video, only sound came out the left channel on playback (this was using WinDV). I then plugged a set of headphoens into the camcorder and when I play the VCR through it I only hear the left channel. So unless I have a wrong cable, it looks to me like the camcorder can only output mono (the left channel).

I have been messing around with my setup and Virtualdub since my first post and the volume meter only shows sound in the left channel when coming out of the camcorder via Firewire as well.

Basically looking to: 1) Confirm he camcorder is not able to output stereo or if I am doing something wrong, and 2) Can Virtualdub capture video via firewire and sound via line in/mic in simultaneously as an alternative?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Tony Jenkins View Post
    I am using a Sony DCR-TRV17 as a pass-through device to capture my old VHS and HI8 tapes to PC. However, it appears the camcorder will only pass-through mono audio instead of stereo? Can anyone confirm this? I have the VCR's going into the camcorder via S-Video and this cable for audio:

Stereo to Dual Phono (RCA) Plug Y-cable
    I am using the same setup with my digital8 DCTRV-120 camcorder to capture from VHS and other sources.
    But you need the correct Sony type camcorder AV cable to make the right connection.
    I guess with a regular audio cable it will shortcut to mono only.
    The correct cable (3.5 mm to 3 RCA AV Sony Camcorder cable) should have been included with your camcorder?
    When using the S-Video connection on the camcorder you then only use the audio RCA connections.
    This type of plug/cable:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tony Jenkins View Post
    That's how I tried it initially: VCR S-video into Sony Camcorder and VCR rca stereo out to camcorder via the RCA cable linked in my first post. Then firewire into the computer. When I captured the video, only sound came out the left channel on playback (this was using WinDV). I then plugged a set of headphoens into the camcorder and when I play the VCR through it I only hear the left channel. So unless I have a wrong cable, it looks to me like the camcorder can only output mono (the left channel).

I have been messing around with my setup and Virtualdub since my first post and the volume meter only shows sound in the left channel when coming out of the camcorder via Firewire as well.

Basically looking to: 1) Confirm he camcorder is not able to output stereo or if I am doing something wrong, and 2) Can Virtualdub capture video via firewire and sound via line in/mic in simultaneously as an alternative?

1. You need the right cable. In one end the cable must have tree RCA female connectors (two for audio and one yellow for composite video) and the other end must have 3.5 mm male jack but with 4 rings. Your cable have only three. Four rings must have: one for composite video, one ring for ground and the other two for left and right audio signal See the picture from previous post.
    2.For capture from firewire devices use one of these: WinDV or DVIO. Virtual Dub is for capture cards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you guys! The cable was the problem. I have no idea where the original one that came with my camcorder is so I thought I could just get the stereo audio cable I previously linked. From your advice I returned it to radio shack and got the correct one that included video and had the 4 "rings" on the 3.5mm end and it works!
    Quote Quote