VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys helped me with my successful computer build a year ago but now I have a question about pre-built computers like ASUS sells since my brother is looking to buy a new computer and doesn't want to build one. Here are a couple which to me look pretty good they use an Intel i7-3770, a decent MOBO, lots of RAM, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220155

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220183

My question is why after including an expensive fast CPU and lots of RAM do they take a step back by using a 5400 RPM drive instead of 7200 RPM do you think it's all about cutting costs?

Bigger question since the ASUS models above use the Intel i7-3770 do you think the computer would seem slow since it uses a 5400 RPM drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The first thing I'd do is put in an SSD and clone the OS to it. Or at minimum, clone the OS to a smallish, faster hard drive. Then use the big drive for storage. And image the drive as well and save the image on the storage drive. Perish the thought that your one and only hard drive goes tits up.

As to why they'd put a 5400 rpm drive in there: Who knows? Maybe it's a green thing. I don't have a 5400 drive in my desktops, though I do have a newish 5900 rpm Seagate, which is faster than one might expect. So perhaps any speed penalty may not be all that much for new hard drives.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd guess the 5400rpm is all the sub-standard 300 watt power supply can handle.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i'd guess the 5400rpm is all the sub-standard 300 watt power supply can handle.

You may be right but it's hard to believe it's because of the power supply I would think 300 watts would be plenty especially if he gets the model with the integrated HD4000 and he doesn't game.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for that outrageous price why don't you build a pc for your brother.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    for that outrageous price why don't you build a pc for your brother.

Because I had to have help building mine and he kind of needs it now. I actually didn't think the ASUS CM6870-US-3AB for $800 or less at B&H Photo was too bad.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hmm, didn't notice the weak power supply. Why don't *YOU* build him a new computer, as suggested?

Surely you learned what you need to know the first time. It's just a matter of matching parts and careful assembly.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason they put in a 5400rpm HD is because most buyers don't know enough to look at stuff like disc speed or front side bus speed. Simple.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote